Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 February 2012, 18:06   #21
Member
 
Peter_C's Avatar
 
Country: USA
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,604
The reason I got my boat was because it had the same delamination happening. I removed the entire floor and transom, then reglued everything. It was an incrdible amount of work with nasty chemicals including over a gallon of Acetone and two quarts of MEK. The PVC material at the tube seams is thermo bonded and doesn't fail often. The glue fails first and sometimes after only a few years if stored in the sun. The fix is just regluing...everything.

Should be a fun project at first, then it will become tiresome, then you will GO BOATING! Have fun.
__________________

__________________
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2012, 18:14   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
We shouldn't put down people who may be less able than ourselves in certain areas ...
exactly.....
Quote:
...but I think this is more a testament to the state of the UK and it's education system in particular.
Or it could just be that english spelling is simply very difficult to master. The problem that most good spellers have is that they can spell, simply don't understand the difficulty and, in particular, they don't appreciate the sigma attached to not being able to spell. A stigma clearly illustrated by your comment.

Quote:
Seriously - it's the 21st century and people can't spell two letter words like "of"???
Yes, well, often it's tricky to understand ovulation.

Quote:
..I find it quite funny that 20-30 years ago, many people were of the opinion that with the advent of mobile phones and computers etc. etc., grammar was no longer particularly important, "people don't write letters any more" they'd say. Kind of ironic that with text messages, emails, eBay listings etc., it's actually probably more important than ever!
Did you have any difficulty understanding the eBay advert?
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2012, 04:39   #23
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 778
RIBase
We should always remember that correct grammar is the difference between

I helped my uncle Jack, off his horse.

and

I helped my uncle jack off his horse.
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2012, 07:17   #24
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Run View Post
We should always remember that correct grammar is the difference between

I helped my uncle Jack, off his horse.

and

I helped my uncle jack off his horse.
Well, actually, we don't have to remember that because, if you spoke these words rather than wrote them, I'm sure you would express yourself so that there would be no misunderstanding. It's very easy to arrange words, as you have done above, to imply there is a problem but mostly there isn't one and more often than not the context of the words takes care of the implied meaning, in other cases good expression takes care of it. However, we've got two issues here which have become intertwined, namely, spelling and grammar.
My reply to Martini was really a mild telling off because he knew he was being a little unkind, and also it was support for those folk who find spelling difficult. Spelling is a difficulty to some extent for most people, even good spellers look up words' spelling occasionally. I've known people who are very clever yet they have considerable difficulty with spelling and I also know folk who have good spelling but are bugger-all use at anything else. It takes all sorts... Eneeway, aye finkk gArfie n wilLfish avv gott itt abowt ryte...

Apologies to TomKat for majorly hijacking his thread.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 February 2012, 07:32   #25
Trade member
 
Dry Run's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: portsmouth
Boat name: Hullabaloo
Make: Humber
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Optimax
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 778
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well, actually, we don't have to remember that because, if you spoke these words rather than wrote them, I'm sure you would express yourself so that there would be no misunderstanding. It's very easy to arrange words, as you have done above, to imply there is a problem but mostly there isn't one and more often than not the context of the words takes care of the implied meaning, in other cases good expression takes care of it. However, we've got two issues here which have become intertwined, namely, spelling and grammar.
My reply to Martini was really a mild telling off because he knew he was being a little unkind, and also it was support for those folk who find spelling difficult. Spelling is a difficulty to some extent for most people, even good spellers look up words' spelling occasionally. I've known people who are very clever yet they have considerable difficulty with spelling and I also know folk who have good spelling but are bugger-all use at anything else. It takes all sorts... Eneeway, aye finkk gArfie n wilLfish avv gott itt abowt ryte...

Apologies to TomKat for majorly hijacking his thread.
I tend to find a sense of humour helps sort these matter out!
Dry Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 February 2012, 13:39   #26
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Well, actually, we don't have to remember that because, if you spoke these words rather than wrote them, I'm sure you would express yourself so that there would be no misunderstanding.
Presumably this is the line the yanks take hence the cannibalisation of our language. I have only been across the pond once since being truly "self aware" and grammar and spelling is truly disgraceful. "Waa waa waa it's spoken like this so it make sense to spell it like you say it", no it blummin' well isn't 'cos it's spelt how it's spelt!
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2012, 19:46   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy View Post
Presumably this is the line the yanks take .....
Hehe, wherever possible, I've preferred to base my conclusions on fact rather than presumption, youngster.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 February 2012, 21:20   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,425
Just by coincidence, a few minutes ago I came across this on a USA site I frequent...


NEVER PRESUME


A man and woman were having a quiet, romantic dinner in a fine restaurant. They were gazing lovingly at each other and holding hands.

Their waitress, taking another order at a table a few steps away, suddenly noticed the man slowly sliding down his chair and under the table, but the woman acted unconcerned.

The waitress watched as the man slid all the way down his chair and out of sight under the table.

Still, the woman appeared calm and unruffled, apparently unaware her dining companion had disappeared.

The waitress went over to the table and said to the woman, "Pardon me, ma'am, but I think your husband just slid under the table."

The woman calmly looked up at her and said, "No, he didn't. He just walked in the door."
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:30   #29
Member
 
TomKat's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 469
quick update pic of me having fun, was pretty easy to sort out and 60 well spent!
__________________
TomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 16:37   #30
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Apologies to TomKat for majorly hijacking his thread.
Damn I miss all the good threads


Err .. Nice one TomKat
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2012, 18:44   #31
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat View Post
quick update pic of me having fun
Shallow water, there.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 12:20   #32
Member
 
Daibheid's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Cork
Boat name: Excalibur
Make: Excalibur + Zapcat
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc120TDI,Tohatsu50
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Don't forget - don't put TCW3 marine 2 stroke in it!!!
Why not - it's basically higher spec oil and I've used TCW3 on strimmers, chainsaws, hedgetrimmers.
It's when people do it the other way round it can get ugly
__________________
Daibheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 16:12   #33
Member
 
kubcat's Avatar
 
Country: Australia
Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKat
quick update pic of me having fun, was pretty easy to sort out and 60 well spent!
Great job.

Looks good. How did you get the tubes so clean? They looked like they would never come back to looking respectable..
__________________
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 16:17   #34
Member
 
TomKat's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Bangor
Boat name: Lencraft 4.8m
Make: Lencraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: DT55HP Suzuki
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 469
they were just dirty, a good wash sorted them out, used some ribshop rib revive as well which may have helped but i am not convinced by it to be honest. Also used some VIM (kitchen abrasive cream cleaner) and it was great.

Transom repair was the trickiest bit, one side is perfect and the other for whatever reason did not take just as well, might redo it but it held up fine so may just leave it.
__________________
TomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 17:02   #35
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daibheid View Post
Why not - it's basically higher spec oil and I've used TCW3 on strimmers, chainsaws, hedgetrimmers.
It's when people do it the other way round it can get ugly
Isn't it because tcw3 is designed to work at the significantly lower temperatures of a raw-water cooled outboard?
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2012, 21:37   #36
Member
 
kubcat's Avatar
 
Country: Australia
Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchiguy

Isn't it because tcw3 is designed to work at the significantly lower temperatures of a raw-water cooled outboard?
My lawn mowing equipment has a warning to not use TCW3 or the warranty is void.
__________________
kubcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 05:16   #37
RIBnet supporter
 
gotchiguy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dinard, Brittany
Boat name: Into the Red
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 250HO
MMSI: 235 076 114
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,954
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubcat View Post
My lawn mowing equipment has a warning to not use TCW3 or the warranty is void.
makes sense presuming it's aircooled. Marine aircooled engines must use tcw2 too because obviously they run as warm as lawn mower "equipment" which is what willk said in the first place..
__________________
gotchiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 06:11   #38
Member
 
Erin's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,865
That's interesting 'cos Mercury seem to lump TCW3 and TCW2 together

Quote:
Meets all outboard and personal watercraft manufacturers' recommendations for use of TC-W2 and TC-W3 oils in pre-mix or oil-injected 2-cycle applications.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2012, 06:33   #39
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,908
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
That's interesting 'cos Mercury seem to lump TCW3 and TCW2 together
That's 'cause Gotchi's wrong-TCW2 is an older spec of TCW3 as far as I'm aware.

Aircooled marine 2 strokes (of which very few are left) are better running on 2 stroke motorcycle oil.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.