Originally Posted by Iron Dials
A decent response from the manufacturer, no doubt helped by your well judged approach to the whole thing.
Of course there are sailing clubs all around the place looking at tired old ribs thinking.........
To be fair I didn't have high hopes when I contacted Barnet Marine when the boat was so old and had been kept outside uncovered all it's life.
I sent Lawrence some pictures and asked him to comment on the feasibility of repairing the boat thinking he may offer a tin of glue and some thinners. His reply was that the only answer was a complete retube which they would complete at a 50% discount as a goodwill gesture. I thought this was a very good offer and didn't even think it fair to push for more, the delay was mainly due to the club committee taking time to decide to go ahead.
Speaking to the guys at the factory the issue was caused by uv penetrating the material and degrading the adhesive apparently later polyurethane boats are built with material that doesn't allow uv to penetrate and all tube seams are welded which looks really good and should avoid the problems this boat had.
Obviously keeping the boat inside or even having a cover on would have avoided the problem so I'd imagine only the worst treated boats will suffer
The pu material itself had worn much better than the hypalon ribcrafts which all look much worse than this boat did (apart from the glue failure obviously)