Old 13 January 2015, 00:41   #1

Town: Toronto
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 115XB
Good Deal?

Hi all,

Local retailer is doing a special based on boats they're providing for a a few weeks for the PanAm games here in toronto this summer, and then selling off afterwards. Looking for feedback as to whether something like this would make sense (price, abuse wise, it feels a bit like a rental car!!)

http://co2inflatables.com/wp-content...PanAM-Pack.pdf

Boat's use will be diving (4 divers with doubles if possible), and family use, tubing, shore cruising, etc.

I'm tempted by the newness of the engine as several of our dive sites are somewhat offshore (few miles) and I'd be more comfortable with a new engine than a 20 year old used one.

appreciate the feedback in advance!

Cheers,
Neil
Old 13 January 2015, 06:24   #2

Town: NorCal
Boat name: SHARKY
Make: AB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF75 & BF5
Can you volunteer and get out on the boat? Just a thought. The old "What do I have to do, to get a ride on the boat?"

They may also sell quickly, or not.

You can never go wrong with a Yamaha.

If you want to talk abuse, lets talk about a heavy awkward set of doubles in the boat...or four sets. My aluminum floors are quite dented from scuba tanks. A tank rack will help. Damage will happen no matter how careful. I call them "work boats", so I don't feel bad about beating them up a little. The guys using the boats may treat them really well, or really bad. As long as you can back out after a final inspection. Also be good to know estimated engine hours upon completion of the Pan Am Games.

I personally like the look of the boat, but I am a sucker for orange Can't comment on function.
Old 13 January 2015, 06:44   #3

Town: NSW
i dont know anything about the boat, so cant offer advice other than hypalon is best.

can you put a clause that you can pull out of the deal on post demo/use after inspection?

personally i have no issue buying used gear. especially cars. i let someone else take the massive depreciation loss off the first 2-3 years and try to get in with a years warranty left.

my current boat is 6 years old, no issues. of course there is a chance you can buy a lemon, but i always get my purchases checked out before i buy them. not sure what they offer in canada for pre purchase inspections?
Old 15 January 2015, 00:38   #4

thanks for the feedback guys. I'm also a sucker for the orange, so that is appealing as well

Spoke to the company, they've said the expectation is about 100 hours of low intensity use on the boats before they're available. that's a solid few weeks of use, but seems to be coaches and officials puttering along overseeing things.

Checking in with them in terms of all the financing details, as this will be my first boat and I don't have a clue about those aspects. Given the feedback on Highfields on the site seems that with the price its a good deal.

Is 100 hours alot of use in the grand scheme of things? Does that expose me to people with a 'rental' boat screwing up any breakin period on the engine? they've said full factory warranty still, but not sure that holds up if folks don't follow the procedures right with a brand new engine.
Old 18 January 2015, 18:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDiver View Post
Is 100 hours alot of use in the grand scheme of things? Does that expose me to people with a 'rental' boat screwing up any breakin period on the engine? they've said full factory warranty still, but not sure that holds up if folks don't follow the procedures right with a brand new engine.
100 hours is nothing. Although they often say 50 hours for the first oil change, even running it to 100 hours in such a short time is just fine. Sounds like it will be doing a lot of idling.

Although break in is pretty specific, it is only so important on these highly accurately machined 4 stroke engines. I wouldn't concern myself with how it was broken in. Think about a car; you get in and drive it without any thought of varying RPM's etc., you just drive.

I would be thinking really hard about buying it, if the boat fit my needs and budget.
Old 18 January 2015, 20:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
100 hours is nothing. Although they often say 50 hours for the first oil change, even running it to 100 hours in such a short time is just fine. Sounds like it will be doing a lot of idling.

Although break in is pretty specific, it is only so important on these highly accurately machined 4 stroke engines. I wouldn't concern myself with how it was broken in. Think about a car; you get in and drive it without any thought of varying RPM's etc., you just drive.

I would be thinking really hard about buying it, if the boat fit my needs and budget.
Thanks Peter. Had a good conversation with them about it, and got the approval from the greatest dive wife ever to go ahead and buy the boat (while waiting to be admitted to hospital for daughter's delivery!!!!!)

On the usage front the Panam games has to pay for any repairs when the boats are returned, so basically anything wrong is getting fixed up on somebody else's dime

There were only a few of the 590s left, so I went ahead and ordered. Got a chance today to take oldest daughter down to show while wife and newborn relaxed and boat looks great, tonnes of space for doubles, stages, scooters, etc. They offered to upgrade the engine to a 115 from the 90, and although its only 1700 more, I'm stretching the budget. This may sound dumb, but figure there's probably such a thing as too fast when the boat is loaded up with so much dive gear?

Will upload some pics from the show once I figure out how to resize them/host them up.
Old 19 January 2015, 03:34   #7

Sweet! For both good news fronts

A good boat makes being on the water far safer. I also consider the scooter a good safety item. I do carry a Nautilus Lifeline, but really should be carrying a Resq-link +, in a canister.

As to the engine upgrade, that is something you might want to think about. First you can never have too much power, especially if heavily loaded. Plus if that is a brand new motor... A test drive with a bunch of people for ballast should give you an idea.
Old 21 March 2015, 17:05   #8

So brief update on things. I decided to up the engine from 90 hp to 115. For the 1700$ difference it seemed that it will make a difference with full fuel load, divers and gear. And that much more fun when just empty and playing around

Getting the rear seat which turns out to be the DL model. Had some photos through from the factory and it looks great! Now just have to wait until July 31st grumble grumble ...
Old 21 March 2015, 17:08   #9