Old 14 March 2005, 09:50   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Orca
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 150hp
Going to the Isles of Scilly

Just thought I'd take the plunge and post my first thread. I have spent the last 6 months planning the purchase of my first RIB. I have settled with a Tornado 5.5m. As I am a virgin ribster - prior to my purchase I had never set foot in a RIB. I was concerned about my 1 engine being a point of failure. carefull research via this site pointed me in the direction of an AUX engine, so I am now running a Mercury 115hp with a honda 5hp back up.

I am now planning my first cruise, Im off to the Scillys @ Easter. I would appreciate any advice people could give. My boat (called Hotrocks)does not have a fuel gauge. It has a very technical stick in which to dip. How much fuel would it take to get to the Scillys from Lands End? Thats presuming I can launch from Lands End.

Thanks for the great forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hotrocks.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	10770  
Old 14 March 2005, 10:10   #2

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
Rob

There are two very basic things here that you need to work out.

1) How much fuel does your boat burn when fully loaded. That will come with using the boat.

2) Work out how far it is from where you launch to St Mary's

Once you have that add at least 20% and you have your answer

Also I suspect you will end up launching from Falmouth.

If you are new to RIB's then I would get plenty of experience in your boat first as its not so much getting there but getting back of the weather turns and I can assure you that part of the world can rough up!

Cheers

Mark
Old 14 March 2005, 10:37   #3

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Me thinks try learning to walk before you start running springs to mind, how’s you navigation? & I don’t mean following a GPS. The Scillies can be a small collection of rocks in a very large ocean if fog rolls in, and as a first trip out in a boat you have never been on before is nothing short of daft. Crossing the channel to France would be easier, I would re-think your first trip if I was you.
Old 14 March 2005, 10:38   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Rob
If you want to ring me on 01 803 559800 before say 4.30ish today, I will talk you through a bunch of things that you will need to know.

Brian
Old 14 March 2005, 10:52   #5

You boys are quick on the reply

Thanks for the feedback - although I expected nothing less.

I bought the boat 6 weeks ago and spent 4 weeks bombing round the Solent teaching myself, I then completed my RYA level 2. I am not afraid of a challenge and I bought a RIB due to the reports of its excellent sea keeping abillitys.

I have a Lowrance GPS onboard which all being well will take me there.

I take your point ref France being a safer option as you cannot really miss the land mass. But I am in Cornwall for 1 week over Easter and I'm confident all will be well.
Old 14 March 2005, 10:55   #6

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Welcome to Rib Net
I would suggest getting a course under your belt first as you have already done the level 2 have ago at the Intermediate as this will cover in more detail coastal cruising . The Scilly Isles are a fantastic place but as others have mentioned if fog rolls in, its not a good place to be.
check out www.rya.org.uk for a school near to you . Have fun
Old 14 March 2005, 11:28   #7

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Tabby Cat
Make: Halmatic
Engine: 2 x Yamaha 115
I would go along with what Tim has to say. You mention your GPS should get you their, what would you do if it fails you, ie breakdown ! If you were to do your Intermediate course then you will be taught how to keep a log of the route you have troubled so therefore if the GPS does fail then you can always revert back to your chart. Where would you be getting your Lat and Long from for your GPS waypoints.
Old 14 March 2005, 13:11   #8

As stated I am not adverse to a challange, but I am also going to try and limit the risks I take. Hence this string, also the backup engine and a spare handheld VHF. I have purchased an Alamanac guide which lists all the way points. I will also conduct a time and distance appreciation study along the route, which should keep me along a safe sort of axis. I suppose if it all goes pear shaped I will just turn 180 degrees and return to blighty.
Old 14 March 2005, 13:41   #9

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
As stated I am not adverse to a challange, but I am also going to try and limit the risks I take. Hence this string, also the backup engine and a spare handheld VHF. I have purchased an Alamanac guide which lists all the way points. I will also conduct a time and distance appreciation study along the route, which should keep me along a safe sort of axis. I suppose if it all goes pear shaped I will just turn 180 degrees and return to blighty.
Going off shore as your first major trip is too risky and the precautions you are taking are insufficient. Your hand held will run of range in the first 10 minutes and a gps can not be entirely trusted. As a minimum I would get a compass fitted to the boat (and tested) and find out how to use it. I would also do a journey of a similar length, say around the IOW, because you will be amazed how many things will brake on your boat and how tired you will feel. I’d also do the journey with someone else. Des
Old 14 March 2005, 13:57   #10

Town: Kent
Boat name: Cygnet
Make: Humber
Engine: Suzuki 70hp 4* outbo
Please don’t rely just on a GPS, as Simon says learn to do things the old clockwork way.
I can remember being on a dive site a couple of years a go when fog rolled in, by time the divers were up we had lost sight of land (not a problem with GPS so we thought). Switched it on & waited a while NO satellites could be found, by now visibility was down to only a few metres. By using a hand held compass I managed to get us all back to shore & we ended up about 400yds from where we had came out from.
Was this luck or judgement?
As I saw the fog rolling in I had enough time to take a compass baring on a good landmark & knew which way the tide was running, there were a lot of very concerned people on board they didn’t have a clue which way we were going but I knew I could get back to shore (wasn’t sure it would be the right bit of beach but I knew I could get us back to land) The fog was so thick by time we got back to the beach we didn’t even know we were there, the SIB ran aground before we could see the beach & it was only by walking to the top of the beach we knew where we were.
Now if this had been a group of rocks in the middle of nowhere we could have gone right past them & ended up out of fuel drifting out of range of the radio.
Please don’t rush into anything until you have all the bases covered, I’m sure you will be doing this trip some time in the future & probably doing it many times but as a first trip alone don’t bother unless you are 110% sure you have everything covered.
Old 14 March 2005, 14:21   #11

Not sure why people are presuming I am going on a solo crossing, or that I do not have a compass, or that I havent already been around the IOW (which I havent - but I have been as far round as Ventnor - I had wanted to go all the way round but I do not know how much fuel I consume.

So far we have 3 lads, 2 dive sets, 3 sleeping bags and a tent ------ oh and did I mention some beer. Plan is to cross to St Mary's for 1 night then off for a nights camping on a remote island, dive with some seals drink some beer and come home.

I will keep you all posted about my progress and hopefully post some pics.

This is also a trial trip before I take the chick and 5 year old to Aldeney for the May day holiday.
Old 14 March 2005, 14:27   #12

Town: Poole
Rob

I have a trip to St Vaast during the bank holiday at the start of May if you fancy a trip in company. It's about 85nm from Poole.

They have Petrol in the marina.

Search on this site for Scillies trips as there is some info about getting petrol in St Mary's.

Cheers

Mark
Old 14 March 2005, 14:42   #13

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Jones
Not sure why people are presuming I am going on a solo crossing, or that I do not have a compass, or that I havent already been around the IOW .........So far we have 3 lads.............
Sorry Rob when I said go with someone else I meant another boat. I did make the assumption about not have a compass because you didn’t mention it. Have you done a navigation course? Des
Old 14 March 2005, 15:30   #14

I have not done a nav course - but I am whizz with multimap.co.uk
Old 14 March 2005, 16:07   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Nice Boat Rob

Multimap your having a larf! just use the AA book of the road like everyone else.

Mark Wildeys a good skipper and has a lot of experience I'd take him up on his offer
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2005, 16:12   #16

Its a done deal, I will take the lads to Scillies @ Easter for a trail run. And go down to St Vaast with Mark for May Bank holiday.

I will keep you all posted as to my progress.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:38   #17
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You're obviously pretty determined to do this trip, and the odds are you'll be fine.

Don't be too determined though, and be prepared to give it a miss if the weather isn't good. There are plenty of other cruising options in Cornwall.

John
Old 15 March 2005, 12:20   #18

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
If you are really going to go , then make sure you have enough Flares and spares, and safety equipment complete a CG66 form that you should have been given when you did your VHF course ( you have done one i hope) tell the Coastguard your passage plan and ETA . Try and cruise in company if possible with someone who is experienced .Also try a few shakedown cruises to test your navigation without GPS