Old 19 March 2012, 18:24   #1

Town: hallaar
Boat name: Bliksem
Make: ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
going to London

Hi guys

Sorry but I have a question that somebody living in the Uk can probably solve.

I want to go to London during Eastern Holdidays with the family. I would like to go with my own car trough the Chunnel and then to London.

Now here's my question: I would like to go as far as possible and then park my car during several days in a secure way (car park) and take the local train to London. I know I can take the Thalys from Brussels but I want to go to to the South coast afterwards for a couple of days. So the Thalys is not an option

So can anyone help with a location to park the car and the train to London??????

thx very much
Old 19 March 2012, 18:41   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Perhaps Gatwick Airport. Lots of parking and direct trains to London. Don't know about the parking costs though.
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2012, 18:56   #3

Town: Devon
Make: Ribtec 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115
excellent suggestion from Erin , Gatwick Airport is pretty much en route and has good train links to Central London ( Gatwick Express is 15 mins but a bit expensive), you can get the concierge parking service , they have offices near the train terminal and it's much cheaper than the short term car parks and is secure. I've used them a lot and they are a really good service. Gatwick also makes is easy if you are coming out of london on the train and then picking up your car to drive to the South coast , it's 30 mins to the M3 , M4 or M5.
Don't forget to visit Devon if you are over here !!!!
Old 19 March 2012, 20:59   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
We recently flew out of Heathrow, stayed 1 night at the Sheraton Skyline & had a weeks parking at the hotel for £90. If you want to stay at a cheaper hotel you can get the price down to around £65 for hotel & 7 nights secure parking. We booked with these & chose "undercover hotel"
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2012, 21:26   #5

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
Now depends on where you want to go in London and what you want to do ..

Theres a few very secure car parks by Aldgate East station that come in at £13 a day which is also just outside the congestion charge zone.

If you are after an appartment, I would absolutely thoroughly recommend the following: Serviced Apartments In London, Serviced Apartments London, Short Let Apartments London - Think Apartments London*|Think

And Parking is 10 a night .. its 5 minute walk from London Bridge. (Actually I live in these during teh week, and it's where I am tonight!)
Old 21 March 2012, 07:48   #6

Town: hallaar
Boat name: Bliksem
Make: ribquest
Engine: outboard
hi guys

thanks for the tips!!!

it seems a very busy period (Eastern) since at Torquay there seems no longer B&B that have rooms left to accomodate 2 adults and 2 kids (8and 10)

if you have some other lovely places (in the neigbourhood of Torquay) let me know. If you were ribbing that time I would like to meet you as weel (not my rib with me though)
Old 21 March 2012, 08:13   #7

Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
You can always park your car at my place, 2 minutes from the M3 and 10 mins from the M25. I live 15 minutes from Woking that has a 30 minute service to London with several trains an hour. Torquay is 260km 3 hours 15 minutes (mostly motorway and dual carriageway).

I would suggest you decide where you want to stay in while visiting London and then decide on car parking.
Old 21 March 2012, 11:27   #8

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
try Bicester Oxon regulare train service to london, there is the M40 direct to London if required, there is the A34 south duel carrage way to the M27 Southampton/ Pommpy or weymouth west country , I have room for one car one my drive if required but if you staded in the local hotel parking is free anyway (big car park)