Old 03 July 2016, 18:27   #1

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Gluing rubber handles to PVC

Hi guys,

this is my first post, coming for advice about how to stick a rubber handle to the PVC tubes.

I have an EXCEL 365 and I decided to stick few rubber handles on the tubes. I went to the Polymarine website, they have a quite good range of glues. In the brochure related to the PVC gluing, the suggest to use their Hypalon glue on the rubber side (as a primer), then use the two part glue for PVC and follow the normal procedure.

I called them and had exactly the same response: use the Hypalon glue on the rubber side as a primer, then use the PVC glue normally.

I did as follow:

- sanded the rubber handle underside with 120 grit to de-polish it
- wiped it twice with acetone for a complete degrease
- used the 2 parts Hypalon glue on the underside of the rubber handle

few day later, I prepared the tubes of my SIB - marked the exact emplacement, sanded with 120 grit, acetoned. Then applied one coat on the tube and on the rubber handle. After some 30 min, while the glue was still tacky I have applied the second coat. Waited a bit and firmly pressed the rubber handle against the PVC tube. I held the pressure for few minutes, quite firmly.

When I released the pressure, the handle simply fell off on the ground!

I was very surprised and checked the glue with my fingernail. In fact, the PVC glue worked perfectly and did a good job on the PVC side - on the tube. It held so well, that even being very fresh, I was unable to remove it with lots of acetone.

But on the rubber handle, the Hypalon coat did not hold at all. The PVC coat was holding well on the Hypalon coat (that I have applied previously), but the Hypalon was simply peeling away with my fingernail. Ridiculously, the Hypalon glue did not hold at all on the rubber side.

I have checked all the handles that were already having Hypalon glue coat and the PVC coat, all of them have the Hypalon peeling away very easy.

This adventure cost me about £50.00 in glues and solvent and lots of time to prepare everything, but the result was just pathetic.

Could anyone give me an opinion on the problem? All the glues were bought online from Polymarine, used within one week. I followed their instructions to the letter but the result was a disaster. Very disappointed.
Old 03 July 2016, 18:34   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Where did the handles come from? Are you sure they were suitable for Hypalon adhesive?

It is not normal to sand PVC tubes, only Hypalon tubes.

You can remove the old glue by softening first gently with a hot air gun then remove with a gentle Scotchbrite soaked with acetone.
Old 03 July 2016, 18:45   #3

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Engine: Honda BF150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Where did the handles come from? Are you sure they were suitable for Hypalon adhesive?

It is not normal to sand PVC tubes, only Hypalon tubes.

You can remove the old glue by softening first gently with a hot air gun then remove with a gentle Scotchbrite soaked with acetone.
Hi Max, thanks for reply, appreciate the tip about the heat gun to remove the PVC glue

I got the handles from EXCEL, when bought the boat, all together. They are classic rubber handles, exactly as on this image

Old 03 July 2016, 19:51   #4

Town: Frome
Length: no boat
Perhaps try harsher sand on the handles? Only thing I can think might help, as you seem to have followed all the right steps
Old 03 July 2016, 20:51   #5

Town: S. Carolina
Boat name: D560
Make: Avon
Engine: 2016 Merc 115hp CT
That's probably thermoplastic.

Wipe it with MEK... Does it become sticky or wipe black residue on the rag? If so, use PVC glue to bond to PVC material.
office888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2016, 10:34   #6

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon 560
Engine: Yamaha F115
Would it be worth sticking a patch of PVC/Hypolon around the handle and gluing that down aswell (Or is this what you've done already?).
Old 05 July 2016, 13:00   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>got the handles from EXCEL

I would have thought new Excel handles for a PVC boat range would have been PVC compatible already... as I assume Office888 is hinting??