Old 05 November 2007, 13:42   #1

Boat name: Just Looking
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 140 Suzuki OB
Getting a Rib + family to the Channel Islands - Advice Please

Hey all. I fancy taking the family + RIB to Jersey for a week or so next year. The problem is - How to get there.

Blast from South Coast direct to Jersey via Alderney I hear you cry. Snag is it is a bit of a long way in a 5.85M RIB without other Ribs for company. Having done the trip to Alderney this year with 3 other RIBs the weather picked up to a Force 6 and we had an 'interesting time en-route' - 6hrs to Alderney! Fine with a few mates but don't think kids (10, 14 yrs old) / wife would be happy .

The other snag is that if the weather turns poor halfway during the holiday then we might be stuck there waiting for weather window - I am unwilling to take family across channel in anything worse than a Force 4.

Becuase the Rib + trailer is over 6m (Trailer nose to Outboard ~7.5m) you can't take on Ferry to Jersey direct unless you go on freight Ferry - Cost over £1400 return for Driver only - rest of family have to go on standard ferry (at additional cost)

So, I am considering the following options:

1) Drive boat from Dover area via Calais along the coast and spend a couple of days getting there - staying in sight of French coast and stopping at French marinas enroute - eventually making the short hop from France to Jersey.

2) Take Eurotunnel with Car + trailer, drive through France to a MArina near Jersey and blast across from there (leave car + trailer in French Marina).

3) Take Ferry to France - Cherourg / St Malo (assuming there is a Ferry which will take a Rib with trailer length ~7.5m) park Car + trailer in French Marina and blast across short hop to Jersey.

What is best option? Is there a better way. I appreciate there might be a team willing to go as a group but still leaves the uncertainty about return Journey with weather changing.

What Marinas are there in France, near Jersey with Slipways / good facilities / place to store car + trailer / people who speak English (I don't speak a word of French)?

www.justlookingadventures.co.uk

'It is a wise man who knows what he wants, but a wiser man still who knows when he has achieved it'
Just Looking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 November 2007, 13:56   #2

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
HI we went this year for a week & had a great time, only took the Sib so no problem with the ferry, but Condorbreaks.com did have some good deals on for car & caravan at the time & I think a boat & trailer came in at the same offer! They are not showing any offers yet for next year, but the people at condor brakes are very helpful, give them a call!
Old 05 November 2007, 14:12   #3
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Last time I went to France we went Weymouth to St Malo with Condor ferries, via both Guernsey and Jersey. I'm sure I remember seeing boats being trailered on the ferry - memory is a little hazy though.

Otherwise, see if anyone else fancies a week in the Channel Islands. Send the family by ferry with the car, you go across in the boat with company. Do your own thing whilst there, and then send the family back the way they came, and you head back home with the boat (in company) again.

It might take some organising - but it should be possible. See if any local clubs are thining about it - it's a good place to start.
Old 05 November 2007, 14:51   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ferry to St Malo @ £500 (2 pax car + Pacific 22), slipway next to ferry terminal, rib in the water and a 20 mile trip to Jersey

St Malo well worth a couple of days on its own and great camp site on the opposite side of the marina to the ferry.

Pete
Old 05 November 2007, 15:01   #5

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Use the condoor, into Guernsey I hope and go from there or to St Malo and do the 24 mile trip over into Jersey.
Old 05 November 2007, 15:14   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by InflatedDelight View Post
Use the condoor, into Guernsey I hope and go from there or to St Malo and do the 24 mile trip over into Jersey.
But the Condor ferry stops at Jersey anyway after Guernsey & B4 St Malo!
Old 05 November 2007, 15:20   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGR View Post
Last time I went to France we went Weymouth to St Malo with Condor ferries, via both Guernsey and Jersey. I'm sure I remember seeing boats being trailered on the ferry - memory is a little hazy though.
Nick + DGR + InflatedD- I spoke to Condor, as per my thread they won't do anything over 6m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Ferry to St Malo @ £500 (2 pax car + Pacific 22), slipway next to ferry terminal, rib in the water and a 20 mile trip to Jersey

Pete
Pete, sounds good, I spoke to Brittany Ferries who quoted from £500-650 return depending on time of year, no issues with trailer length.

Was there somewhere to park Car + trailer for a few days?

'It is a wise man who knows what he wants, but a wiser man still who knows when he has achieved it'
Old 05 November 2007, 17:06   #8

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
Quote:
I think Guernsey might well be a better destination. With a family, it is east to whizz out of St Peter Port and over to Herm. Herm has some lovely beaches and exploring these will keep you busy for a few days.

Tip. the rock-pooling in Belvoir Bay at spring tides is brilliant!

Sark is in easy reach of St Peter Port, as would be Alderney and Dielette on the French Coast.
Old 05 November 2007, 17:35   #9

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I think Guernsey might well be a better destination. With a family, it is east to whizz out of St Peter Port and over to Herm. Herm has some lovely beaches and exploring these will keep you busy for a few days.

Tip. the rock-pooling in Belvoir Bay at spring tides is brilliant!

Sark is in easy reach of St Peter Port, as would be Alderney and Dielette on the French Coast.
.................................................. ..........
Old 05 November 2007, 17:50   #10

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Pete, sounds good, I spoke to Brittany Ferries who quoted from £500-650 return depending on time of year, no issues with trailer length. Was there somewhere to park Car + trailer for a few days?
Two thoughts, next to the ferry terminal is a nautic centre for water sports, they have a car park or round the other side of the marina 500 yds away is a boatpark chandlers etc.

Just a thought Brittainy Ferries had cardiac when they asked us if we had flares on board and we said yes. In the end we said they were well packed and secured so they let us on. Certainly won't try and board with out of date flares.

Trip up the river Rance through the big lock interesting as there is a huge area of flat calm water and St Malo has some superb beaches.

Pete
Old 05 November 2007, 18:15   #11

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
You could tell them (Condor) the trailer's only 5.99m. I have a friend who has done this more than once (not with Condor though)

Alternatively, if you take the ferry over to France, worth also looking into Portsmouth - Le Havre and Poole - Cherbourg routes.

Having your car in France may be handy if the weather turns out to be crap and restricts your boating time.
Old 05 November 2007, 18:26   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
If he's setting off from Le France, he'll need all the various bits of paper inc. an ICC.
Old 06 November 2007, 16:44   #13

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
I will speak to them if you want becuase I have a contact within Condoor for all my shipping. I use them to get over all my boats. I have taken over boats 8+ and havent had a problem, I will see if you wish if I can get special permission. I know we had to have a meeting with someone(long phone call) regarding how many boats etc and payment

Will have a chat tomorrow, if they are willing to do a deal I will forward the currect guys email to you.
Old 06 November 2007, 18:45   #14

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Yep, I've been over on Condor with my trailer. Was about 6.5m but told them it was only 6. They never measure. Would be tight if it was anything longer because the car deck is restricted for turning and getting off at the other end.

Or, go to France on Ferry or tunnel, drive to Carteret or Portbail and launch there. You'll be lucky to even see the harbour master, so the chance of getting asked for your ICC is practically nil. Just remember they're both tidal, so time it right. Less than 14 miles to coast of Jersey.
Old 07 November 2007, 07:48   #15

Quote:
I will speak to them if you want becuase I have a contact within Condoor for all my shipping. I use them to get over all my boats. I have taken over boats 8+ and havent had a problem, I will see if you wish if I can get special permission. I know we had to have a meeting with someone(long phone call) regarding how many boats etc and payment

Will have a chat tomorrow, if they are willing to do a deal I will forward the currect guys email to you.
Thanks for the offer, but, having just spoke to 3 separate Condor Offices in Weymouth and Poole, they are insistent about 6.5m length and pass me on to their rip-off freight chap who quotes £1400 for driver only. I would not risk trying to take a bigger boat as I might either not be allowed on or damage boat trying to manoeuvre on ferry. Brittany Ferries on the other hand were very helpful and had no issues with bigger trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Or, go to France on Ferry or tunnel, drive to Carteret or Portbail and launch there. You'll be lucky to even see the harbour master, so the chance of getting asked for your ICC is practically nil. Just remember they're both tidal, so time it right. Less than 14 miles to coast of Jersey.

Sounds fine except I would need more details. Do you have pictures of slipways, where can you park your car etc etc. I am not willing just to rock up in France with family and hope for the best as I am not familiar.

I have ICC + radio licence etc - all the usual stuff - no snags there

Old 07 November 2007, 17:25   #16

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I'll see if I've got any details that'll show what's there. Both Portbail and Carteret are fairly sleepy places. Portbail has a huge gravel parking area, with normally only a couple of cars and a visiting caravan or 2 on it. Both places have good concrete slipways, and if you do speak to the harbour master (Capitanerie) they're very helpful and probably won't charge. Jersey and Guernsey residents leave cars there (with J or G reg nos) and never have any problem. Dilelette is another alternative. A slightly more commercial harbour, but still pretty relaxed.
Old 07 November 2007, 17:41   #17

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
A RIB would be ideal for the Echrehous.