Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 15 June 2003, 07:16   #1

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Get ahead and put your foot in it!

Hi folks

Having read the many threads about head protection in a RIB, and having used one of Brian's helmets in Cyanide I can certainly see the advantage of wearing a helmet on board a RIB in a rough sea. However one thing I did not like was having my ears covered. For a start it makes it difficult to hear (obviously). But also it made me feel a little detached from the environment, sort of claustrophobic really. Bear in mind that I am well used to wearing a full face helmet whilst on my motorcycle. When I'm out on my little boat I actualy like to feel the wind in my face and to savour the full outdoor experience.

I might also add that the Gecko helmets are not cheap.

So I decided to surf the 'net and look for alternatives. Then I came across these, they are reasonably priced as well:
http://www.getoutcanoeing.co.uk/acat...ref=24&code=HT

What do you tink? How about wearing one of these on a RIB. You could combine it with a pair of goggles if the spray was bad. They are after all made to protect the wearer from banging their head on rocks.

Whilst on the subject of price, how about this for footwear:

http://www.getoutcanoeing.co.uk/acat...ref=33&code=42

Right over to you chaps. Is this stuff a cheaper alternative for the RIB and SIB.

Keith (bargain hunt) Hart
Old 15 June 2003, 13:06   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Having recently returned from the Scillies Trip where the return voyage was shall we say interesting I for one would recommend the use of a helmet on a rib in rough conditions.

I used the Geko Mark10 helmet. This has push out ear pieces that can be removed or re-inserted whenever the user wants.

This helmet with a full visor was a boon in the rough and rain. I had been using my goggles and a hat until I purchased the helmet. The helmet with the full visor fully protected the face from the driving rain/spray and with the ear pieces removed you could still hear what was going around you.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2003, 20:37   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
we have a couple of geckos with push out ear pieces. Minus ear bits is fine unless you are sitting on the tube as I often am on courses - then the wind howls around your lugholes at speed!
My personal helmet is a standard (non full face) m/bike helmet and I can hear fine with that as it has strategically placed vents. And in winter it is lovely and warm. I dont find it heavy and we never fasten the chin strap on any of them. I do the inspection on a certain rescue facility who shall remain nameless(!) and once they get to know you they admit that they have the boating lightweight helmets out to show me-but what they really wear is the set of m/bike helmets stowed away in the cupboard cos the others are ****** cold on a winter patrol
Old 16 June 2003, 07:11   #4

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
Head Protection

Hi Keith,

I can certainly vouch for the canoeing helmets I use to do a lot of white water stuff in the Army, soemtime it got a little bit hairy But the helmets work ok.

No thermal protection though, as for ear pieces, some people can be affected by loss of balance when there ears are enclosed I think it is due to presure on the inner Ear?

If I was condsidering a Helmet for the winter/rough water I would look very carefully at motorcyle helmets. You can buy a replica to the Gekco for Half the price less than £40.

They are just as light and very well insulated. In additon you can also use the Motorcycle intercom systems with them aswell asumming you want to talk talk to your crewmates

Best wishes
Old 16 June 2003, 08:02   #5

Town: Leatherhead
Quote:
some people can be affected by loss of balance when there ears are enclosed I think it is due to presure on the inner Ear?
What an excellent excuse to tell the wife after a few too many beers

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote