Click Here to Login

Old 17 June 2009, 07:42   #1

Town: durham
Boat name: waverider
Make: gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: tohatsu 50hp x2
Gemini Waverider elephants trunk???

I have a Gemini Waverider 550 which is in need of a replacement elephant trunk on one side.The trunks have an internal diameter of 90mm/3.5" and are 500mm long.I've searched the internet for a replacement but not had any success.It seems that trunks come in sizes of 68mm or 110mm.I had the idea of buying some layflat hose and making my own but no-one seems to stock 90mm layflat hose,i've been told it is not a standard size and will struggle to get it.I even rang O'sullivan marine in Ireland who are Gemini dealers but they also could not help with a new trunk.Has anyone please got any ideas to rectify this problem? thanks
Old 17 June 2009, 08:14   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
I think somepeople make their own from scrap hypalon. If you don't have any scrap material then it might be worth speaking to someone like Ribshop to see if they can make you some up - as by the time you buy fabric, glue, solvent etc it will work out expensive.
Old 17 June 2009, 08:33   #3

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I know Henshaws do made to measure. Most Tube manufacturers would probably do them too.
Old 17 June 2009, 10:09   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Paul,

Welcome to ribnet!

Are you measuring OD of the tube or ID of the hole? I ask because I had a similar story when I went to replace the trunk on mine - I also thought I had a weird small size. Turrns out a previous owner had repaired a leaky bit of trunk (presumably cracked at the transom by age & use) by cutting the old trunk off at the plastic pipe, and glueing it to the inside of the original trunk hole, so when I phoned Humber for a replacement and they said "70 or 110mm dia" I thought I was going to have to do some woodwork.

On removing the trunk from inside the pipe then discovering the plastic pipe still in situ, on removing said pipe, I found a 70mm hole in he transom that fitted the new trunk perfectly.

Not knowing your boat or it's history, could you be looking at a similar story to what I found? I measured 53mm on the ID of what turned out to be a 70mm hole.
Old 17 June 2009, 13:25   #5

Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I have a Gemini Waverider 550 which is in need of a replacement elephant trunk on one side.The trunks have an internal diameter of 90mm/3.5" and are 500mm long.I've searched the internet for a replacement but not had any success.It seems that trunks come in sizes of 68mm or 110mm.I had the idea of buying some layflat hose and making my own but no-one seems to stock 90mm layflat hose,i've been told it is not a standard size and will struggle to get it.I even rang O'sullivan marine in Ireland who are Gemini dealers but they also could not help with a new trunk.Has anyone please got any ideas to rectify this problem? thanks
Hi Paul,
Have the same boat, have replaced trunks, I used 500mm X 238mm hypalon, Aprox 5.5mm overlap. Outside diameter = 75mm.

From the deck side the hole is larger, my measurement of 75mm is from the OD of the finished trunk, the male spool protruding from the transom where the trunks are glued are 73mm OD.
Hope this helps
Old 19 June 2009, 09:45   #6

Town: durham
Boat name: waverider
Make: gemini
Engine: tohatsu 50hp x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sticky View Post
Hi Paul,
Have the same boat, have replaced trunks, I used 500mm X 238mm hypalon, Aprox 5.5mm overlap. Outside diameter = 75mm.

From the deck side the hole is larger, my measurement of 75mm is from the OD of the finished trunk, the male spool protruding from the transom where the trunks are glued are 73mm OD.
Hope this helps
Thanks for the advice Sticky but we must have different size male spools protruding from the transom. My boat is a '99 model,presume yours is maybe a newer model.I've decided to go ahead and make my own trunks to suit.
Thanks again to everyone for their speedy replies,Regards Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	43403   Click image for larger version

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	43404  
Old 19 June 2009, 11:19   #7

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Hi Paul

From memory if you remove your current ping pong bailer fitting the hole you should be left with through the transom will be 68/69mm internal diameter, therefore you should be able to mastic in a piece of 68mm od pipe in the hole and then fit a standard drain sock in it place.

http://www.rib-shop.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat
Old 19 June 2009, 13:48   #8

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Why not shoot these guys an email and get the specs right from the horses mouth so to speak?

http://www.gemini-marine.com/contact.htm

I know when I ordered mine, I had a choice between the floating ball valve scuppers or simple straight through elephant trunks I just went with the elephant trunks.