Old 03 January 2003, 12:14   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
Geko Helmets

Ok, I know this has been discussed before .... but i think things have changed.

Does anybody have experience of the new inflate to fit Geko helmets. I saw them at the boat show and they looked and felt great. Are them comfortable after hours at sea. Also does anybody know about coms for them, how much are we talking.

Thanks in advance

Andy

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 January 2003, 12:24   #2

Correction - Gecko!

www.badviz.com
Old 03 January 2003, 13:53   #3

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Andy
Have they changed the visor break off?? or the chin strap break out?? these all were major points against the gecko.
The visor didn't break off because the brass press studs were very difficult to release and the helmet 'bucketed' which does nasty things to you neck.
Comfort is one thing damaging your neck if you hit the water at speed is another thing entirly.
Jelly
Old 04 January 2003, 14:49   #4

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
The new helmets do indeed look good, but only had 6-7 uses out of the old-style ones i got at SBS, so can't think about 'upgrading' myself!

The price for new helmets is also non-negiotiable, whatsoever - the guys can't make them fast enough by all acounts, but the older ones are now nearly 1/2 the price of the new style, and winge enough and you can get a deal off the guy.

The comms the RNLI use, and the only real people to do anything like this (IMHO) are made by DS Developments. 01342 327686, www.dsdevelopments.co.uk - dunno if they are at LBS, but had a good chat to them @ RIBEX '02 and they quoted just shy of £600 for a two-helmet system (not incl. helmets). They were offering a 10% discount for show orders. They also wanted nearly £100 to interface into the VHF, but admited it was simple and agreed to sketch the connections when i informed him i was quite handy with a soldering iron.

Hope that helps,

Oh, BTW, diden't go for the comm's system - waiting for a bigger boat i think.

Regards

Daniel
Old 04 January 2003, 18:22   #5

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Intercoms

You ought to try Graytronics, 01724 721080. They do a similar system, also interfaces with a vhf, for a lot less money.
Old 04 January 2003, 22:33   #6

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
He's not wrong

www.graytronics.co.uk [/url] but @ £450 + VAT thats not a lot cheaper.

£30 for a VHF interface though.

Thanks for the info

Dan
Old 06 January 2003, 20:12   #7

Town: West Sussex
Andy

I have used both Gecko Mk8 and MK9 and have received for evaluation a sample Gecko Mk10. I have tried it on but not yet had the chance of taking it out on the rib. It is for sure far superior than the other two earlier models. The helmet itself is a bit larger so it will be more comfortable and with the inflatable liner will fit any head. Some users had complained that the MK8 and even the MK9 caused some discomfort. I do not think this will be the case with the MK10 thanks to the pneumatic liner and increased helmet size.
If you decide to go for the Gecko MK10 then I would advise you to have the ear holes. These you can even do yourself as there are pre marked drilling points. Go for the full face visor as this is great at speed since you can breath easily with fear of swallowing any flies or even flying fish. The DS Developments comms are OK but go for the single ear piece and leave the other side open.
Checkout: www.geckoheadgear.co.uk a new site and lots of info on the MK10

Andre
Old 06 January 2003, 21:10   #8

Thanks for all your advice and help. After 2 hrs on the Solent on Saturday morning, I think the only option is a gecko ... it was very cold and the spray at 40knots was like being trashed with an ice whip. Almost as bad as hammering along in rain .....

All I need now is a cheap waterproof comms system then the jobs done!

Thanks again

www.badviz.com
Old 06 January 2003, 21:21   #9

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Comms for just crew to crew? Buy a couple of cheap PMR446 radios, dry bags, and make up some form of headset to fit the helmet, and add a PTT switch. If you get some of the cheap double packs from The Link, it's not gonna be too bad if they break.

Matt
Old 07 January 2003, 07:06   #10

Town: Poole
Continuing the Narked theme has anyone successfully used one of the 2-way radios that are now available and implemented a VOX headset that works on a RIB.

I guess the mark of success would be low background noise, understandable speech and the headset not transmitting with wind noise.

Cheers

Mark
Old 07 January 2003, 08:34   #11

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Davis Communications make a PMR446 headset that fits over the Geco for the RNLI - it wont be cheep but then quality isn't

As for alternatives to the Geco, try Comunica Industries International Ltd. Tel 01962 840084 ask for Ralph Chesters.
The do a very nice rib helmet, with break away visor and chinstrap. From the picture of round Ireland at least one of the boats had them - well I like mine!
Old 07 January 2003, 14:20   #12

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Helmets

I am reding this thread evry time there is a new post. Have looked at the 'so much advertised' (matter of speach) GEKO helmets.
I do not think that there are anything much my self. They look horible in fact (a personal opinion also in which many may not agree-what the heck).
The question is, are there any other marine helmet makers in the UK or in the World for that matter that make similar better looking (full face may be) helmets at a cheaper price??
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 January 2003, 14:29   #13
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Good question, Manos.
What do racers wear?
When I look at their photos they seem to be:
red, full face, like Formula 1 and have a protective jaw/chin section.
Comon racers, what do you wear?
Old 07 January 2003, 14:33   #14

Manos

Which Gecko helmet are you refering to? Do you mean the MK8, MK9 of say MK10. Cos I agree the MK 8 was not the best looking thing and was not even comfortable to wear. The Mk9 was a much improvement. Now the MK10 could be Gecko's best ever., time will only tell . I am sure this is not the last on this subject. Have you seen the Gecko new web page . This covers the MK10 in detail. see www.geckoheadgear.co.uk

Andre
Old 07 January 2003, 14:38   #15

Cheap coms system

You could do a lot worse than trying the intercoms and vox radios from www.intercoms.co.uk. They do some excellent systems, and they are used by the Sunseeker race team and numerous Rhib and Powerboat competitors.

I've used them in boats, cars bikes etc and they are excellent.
Old 07 January 2003, 14:40   #16

Race Helmets

The orange open and full face from HISL in Scotland are excellent value, used by lots of racers.
Old 07 January 2003, 14:52   #17
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
I too have looked at the Gecko website, and as far as I can see, the problems addressed in a previous thread on this forum about their helmets, have still not been answered.

These were surrounding the question of "bucketing".

It has been suggested that the visor, and more particularly, the chin strap, are not designed with a specific "brake off" load. This means, if you exit the boat at speed, you may have your head jerked back and your neck broken.

There is a "Gecko Head Gear" subscriber to this forum.
These questions have been asked before and it has also been suggested that brake strain tests have been carried out by Gecko.
So why no answer to these concerns?
Does silence imply "guilt"?
Old 07 January 2003, 14:55   #18

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
Good question, Manos.
................what do you wear?
I use Snowmobile type helmets in cold weather and MX type helmets in warm weather. I also have electric de-steamer, for the FF helmet, and breather as is shown in the attached photo.
The reason I use these helmets is that they are made of very light merials so very light helmets, they are very aerodynamic and they are very comfortable.
I have to admit I have not used the GECKO range but I don't think red suits my blue boat (only a joke)LOLOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaa.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1550  
Old 07 January 2003, 15:00   #19

Hi Andre

I had a look @ the GECKO site and I don't know wich type of helmet it is but I saw that one with the ear holes for the intercom thing that RNLI guy wears. I just thought that it look just say not very pleasing to the eye.
Old 07 January 2003, 15:49   #20

Brian

I have emailed Gecko and told them that there is an interesting discussion on the Forum in respect of their helmets. I would expect some input from them. Cos the LBS is on the respective person at Gecko may not have seen the thread.

I am at the LBS tomorrow and will look up Gecko

Andre