Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Galway lifeboat rescue

Anybody hear anything about this?

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-n...e-1366953.html

http://www.rnli.org.uk/who_we_are/pr...ticleid=332774

Is it true that the lads got thrown out of the boat and the boat continued on without them?
Old 20 May 2008, 02:56   #2

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Dare I mention freezer bags and mobile phones???
Old 20 May 2008, 11:27   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Aqua Vitae
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 75hp
MMSI: 235115057
A handheld waterproof VHF might be more appropriate Codders
Old 20 May 2008, 11:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Tim View Post
A handheld waterproof VHF might be more appropriate Codders
Yes but which is the average person more likely to have in their pocket at ALL times???
Old 20 May 2008, 16:51   #5

Town: cookoo land
Boat name: tba
Make: ribcraft 595
Length: under 3m
Engine: Suzi 140
The question ought to be ...'what SHOULD responsible mariners have to hand at all times'?
Answer...'VHF' waterproof and handheld preferably attached to ones person in the event of MOB.

Surely we dont need to list all reasons why mobiles should not be relied on or recomended!
Old 20 May 2008, 17:15   #6
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Yes but which is the average person more likely to have in their pocket at ALL times???
Mobile phone maybe......a freezer bag......nah. If you have to remember to take a bag (which probably won't work anyway), you might as well have a H/H VHF as part of your 'permanent' kit.

IMHO, obviously...
Old 20 May 2008, 18:00   #7

I can assure you a bag does work!!! Obviously a hand held vhf is better but it is worthless if it's in a locker when you fall out of the RIB. There have been loads of cases where people have ended up in the water very suddenly and had no means of getting help. A mobile phone is much smaller than a VHF and 99% of people have one in their pocket!!!
Old 20 May 2008, 18:11   #8

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Engine: Suzuki 300
but what really happened

Freezer bags etc all very well but what really happened?
What was the weather like? What sort of boat? How alll three overboard?
Who were the lads? Does anybody know any of them? Are they members of rib.net? Are there any lessons they could teach us?

Rgds
Old 20 May 2008, 18:21   #9

Like I said........'VHF' waterproof and handheld preferably attached to ones person in the event of MOB.

Try using a mobile whilst swimming in the p*ss, in a plastic bag, with cold fingers!!!!!!! Cmon, Codds.........get real. And please don't give people on hear the idea that you will get yourself out of the mire with a mobile.
Loads of Ribneters respect your advise, so please give the 'right' advise!
Old 20 May 2008, 18:47   #10
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I can assure you a bag does work!!! Obviously a hand held vhf is better but it is worthless if it's in a locker when you fall out of the RIB. There have been loads of cases where people have ended up in the water very suddenly and had no means of getting help. A mobile phone is much smaller than a VHF and 99% of people have one in their pocket!!!
OK - but you have to think ahead and put your mobile in a plastic bag. If you've got that much forethought, you would probably be intelligent enough to have a VHF.

D...
Old 20 May 2008, 18:53   #11

Surely it would be a good idea to protect your phone even if you don't go in the sea? That is why I started out using freezer bags - I hand them out to my passengers as much to save their phones as anything else but they could have a valuable life saving benefit!!!

For the sake of 5p is it worth the risk to your phone never mind your life?

People put their other possesions in a waterproof sack on a RIB - why not a phone???
Old 20 May 2008, 18:54   #12

Like I said........'VHF' waterproof and handheld preferably attached to ones person in the event of MOB.

Try using a mobile whilst swimming in the p*ss, in a plastic bag, with cold fingers!!!!!!! Cmon, Codds.........get real. And please don't give people on hear the idea that you will get yourself out of the mire with a mobile.
Old 20 May 2008, 21:14   #13

May I suggest you do some searches to see just how many people HAVE been rescued using mobile phones - I think you will be very suprised!!!

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/auto/...435ymnews.html

Fourteen yachtsmen were rescued by helicopter from the hull of brand new 55ft yacht Bounder after it capsized with severe keel problems in a stormy Solent this Saturday, 30 June.

The crew, who were all wearing lifejackets, helped each other onto the upturned hull and Skipper Anthony Haines made a '999' call to Solent Coastguard from his mobile phone, which was zip-locked in a waterproof casing.

I think this may prove my point - a very experienced crew but things happened so fast.

There is always the argument that you may not have signal but to be honest a handheld VHF at sea level will only have a very short range - in the Burry Estuary you would never be picked up!!!
Old 21 May 2008, 09:14   #14
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Codders - you have at least half a dozen threads on the topic - and you still spark a debate every time you mention it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post
Cmon, Codds... ...Loads of Ribneters respect your advise

...actually there is some logic in what cod says. There is a tendency for people to put their phones in a locker or dry bag to protect them... what cod is suggesting is don't do that - protect the phone and keep it on yourself.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:51   #15

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
The bad thing here is that we are looking to say "mobile are better anf you VHF"

The cases Codders mentioned are all made to look good and news worthy, how many times do you see " boater saved by using his VHF"? Hardly ever cos its not news worthy.

In practice I carry both and both are always on me. Waterproof VHF, mobile in an Aquapack. Belt and Braces all the time for me but would still go for the VHF everytime first. Why? cos everone in range cah hear you cries for help but hey you all know that cos it was covered well on your SRC course?

I would like to see a proper test to see which works better when you are 3-4 miles off shore in the water and trying to make contact with the shore.
IMHO I think the VHF would out perfome the mobile.
Old 21 May 2008, 11:21   #16

I have NEVER said that a mobile phone is a replacement for a hand held VHF!!!

The main point I have always made is that if you are suddenly chucked into the water 99% of people are likely to have a mobile in their pocket. If the phone isn't protected then it will be useless - the slightest drop of water and they pack up.

What brought it home to me was the sudden capsize of a fishing boat off Tenby recently. Two blokes were thrown into the water - the conditions were good and the water fairly warm. They had flares and a VHF - all in the cabin. They were in the water for many hours but had no way of getting help. They were only 1 mile from shore but the currents were too strong. One drowned the other finally staggered ashore.

Another classic is the Ouzo - the poor buggers were in the water for about 12 hrs before they died. In the MAIB report it said they had flares and a DSC set in the cabin. They mentioned that a mobile phone call was made a few hours before the accident. What we will never know is if they would have had signal 5 miles out - they would in most places!

A hand held VHF is perfect - what people on RIBs forget is that we tend to wear lifejackets all the time and can clip a VHF onto it. On other boats that is NOT the case. If you are relaxing on your Fairline 50 or Sunseeker on a nice day you will NOT be wearing a lifejacket with a bulky VHF strapped to it - you may well have a phone in your pocket though!!!
Old 21 May 2008, 11:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Codders - you have at least half a dozen threads on the topic - and you still spark a debate every time you mention it...

...actually there is some logic in what cod says. There is a tendency for people to put their phones in a locker or dry bag to protect them... what cod is suggesting is don't do that - protect the phone and keep it on yourself.
Logic at last!!!
Old 21 May 2008, 18:31   #18

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Depending on how high the waves are and how good a handheld vhf you have ,at sea level your only going to get a mayday call out for few miles if your lucky , might be ok on the solent at the week end but midweek in the north sea think id opt for pack of mini flares with me too at least you may get seen even if its a passenger on a ferry or holiday maker looking out to sea.best thing is is not to all fall out of the boat in the first place and wear a kill switch.or have a return spring on the throttle lever.or wear a harness or safety strop to stop you dropping over the side if alone.
Old 21 May 2008, 18:41   #19

"""The bad thing here is that we are looking to say "mobile are better anf you VHF"

The cases Codders mentioned are all made to look good and news worthy, how many times do you see " boater saved by using his VHF"? Hardly ever cos its not news worthy.

In practice I carry both and both are always on me. Waterproof VHF, mobile in an Aquapack. Belt and Braces all the time for me but would still go for the VHF everytime first. Why? cos everone in range cah hear you cries for help but hey you all know that cos it was covered well on your SRC course?"""

NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL LOGIC!

Get real....get trained!

Codds, please don't get upset. Your logic is sound to a certain point. But STICK TO THE POINT.
Old 21 May 2008, 19:34   #20

Town: Inverness
Boat name: none
Make: none
Engine: none
MMSI: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBoy View Post

Who are these unfortunates?