Click Here to Login

Old 01 July 2009, 09:26   #1

Town: durham
Boat name: waverider
Make: gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: tohatsu 50hp x2
Fuel/Water separator,LPH ?????????

I am going to change my fuel/water separators because the one's that are fitted are corroded.I'm not sure which one's to buy because they are rated at 'litres per hour flow rate'.Is there a method for working out how many litres per hour an engine use's or is this just down to basic maths.I have 2x tohatsu 50hp engines on my rib and after doing some basic maths i reckon that i could burn 50 ltrs per hour with both engines meaning that each engine would burn 25 ltrs per hour.Does this mean that each engine needs a filter that exceeds 25 lph flow rate or am i just way off the mark here????
Any advice would be much appreciated cos i'm lost off at this point.
p.s. i've also noticed that filters are measured in microns,does anyone know what a suitable grade of filter should be i.e how many microns???
Also doe's it have to be a "marine filter" or would a fuel/water separator from a local automotive dealer do the same job ???
Old 01 July 2009, 11:42   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I am going to change my fuel/water separators because the one's that are fitted are corroded.I'm not sure which one's to buy because they are rated at 'litres per hour flow rate'.Is there a method for working out how many litres per hour an engine use's or is this just down to basic maths.I have 2x tohatsu 50hp engines on my rib and after doing some basic maths i reckon that i could burn 50 ltrs per hour with both engines meaning that each engine would burn 25 ltrs per hour.Does this mean that each engine needs a filter that exceeds 25 lph flow rate or am i just way off the mark here????
Any advice would be much appreciated cos i'm lost off at this point.
p.s. i've also noticed that filters are measured in microns,does anyone know what a suitable grade of filter should be i.e how many microns???
Also doe's it have to be a "marine filter" or would a fuel/water separator from a local automotive dealer do the same job ???
Have a look here

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ht=fuel+filter

Do you have twin filters, twin tanks etc?
Old 01 July 2009, 14:57   #3

Town: durham
Boat name: waverider
Make: gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: tohatsu 50hp x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
Have a look here

http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?...ht=fuel+filter

Do you have twin filters, twin tanks etc?
Yes,each engine has it's own tank,filter,etc
Old 01 July 2009, 15:10   #4
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
I'd have a chat with these guys, they'll sort you out

http://www.asap-supplies.com/
Old 01 July 2009, 15:11   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Depends on how you want to set up the filtration, and how your boat is currently plumbed. If you have a single tank-to-motors fuel line, and split off to each engine, you can use a single filter in the main line, in which case you'd want a flow rate well beyond the sum of the burn rate for both engines.

If you have a separate fuel line running to each motor, you'd need two filters, one on each line, that exceeds the burn rate of a single motor.

If yours is the former setup, note that there's nothing that stops you from having a filter on each motor feed (gives you a chance of running if one filter packs up.)

Usually, the filters' flow rate is way higher than your motor will ever burn. To a point, a larger rate is better, as filtration (the filter actually picking stuff out of the fuel) will cause a loss of flow rate. Therefore, a filter with a larger flow rate will be able to filter out more stuff than a smaller rated one before reducing flow to the point of fuel starvation.

That said, if you manage to pack up the filter, you've got other problems to address.

Hope this helps;

jky