Old 16 January 2016, 16:37   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Fuel tank questions

Was planning a trip out this weekend so went down to the boat yesterday and put 60 Lts of unleaded in, was a but puzzled after I had finished when I noticed that there was a steady stream of water running out of the drain at the back of the boat. That’s when I realised it was unleaded, bloody tank was leaking.

The tank is under the deck which would mean removing the console, seats and then the deck its self, not something I am planning to tackle right now.

Plenty of space in the console so I am planning to fit a plastic tank inside. The challenge is access, it is going to have to fit through a hatch, I need a minimum of 75lts ideally 100 in total. 3 questions to the forum:

1 Has anyone ever connected 2 smaller tanks together, I am thinking connect the two breathers into one vent, block off one filler and pick up and use skin fittings and fuel hose to link the tanks together? Key point is that I must be able to fill both tanks from one filler.

2 Tek Tanks look like the one’s, any others I should be looking at?

3 Anyone know of a supplier of flexible tanks that could be squeezed through a small gap?

Should point out that I am looking for off the shelf solutions, rather than bespoke, the Bank Manager insists!!

Regards

Andy
Old 16 January 2016, 18:06   #2

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
There are a number out there but not known for being cheap - these are the ones I was looking at, gave up and just strapped in a 2nd plastic tank - Collapsible Fuel Tanks and Bladders for Aviation and Marine - Turtlepac

A few of these together may work if you link them some how - Avon Military and Profesional - Flexible Fuel Tank

Can you put a couple of plastic ones else where on board till you sort it proper?

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2016, 20:27   #3

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Red Alert
Make: Solent SR600
Engine: Mercury 125hp
Had the same thing happen to mine last week, 160ltr s/s underdeck started leaking. I havd been looking at fitting a low profile plastic off the shelf tank in my console as it only has a small opening. There are a few on ebay or seach online for low profile tanks
Old 17 January 2016, 11:19   #4

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by treerat View Post
There are a number out there but not known for being cheap - these are the ones I was looking at, gave up and just strapped in a 2nd plastic tank - Collapsible Fuel Tanks and Bladders for Aviation and Marine - Turtlepac

A few of these together may work if you link them some how - Avon Military and Profesional - Flexible Fuel Tank

Can you put a couple of plastic ones else where on board till you sort it proper?
Thanks Treerat, the Australian stuff looks good, I will ask if they have any dealers in the UK.

Andy
Old 17 January 2016, 17:26   #5

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Was planning a trip out this weekend so went down to the boat yesterday and put 60 Lts of unleaded in, was a but puzzled after I had finished when I noticed that there was a steady stream of water running out of the drain at the back of the boat. That’s when I realised it was unleaded, bloody tank was leaking.

The tank is under the deck which would mean removing the console, seats and then the deck its self, not something I am planning to tackle right now.

Plenty of space in the console so I am planning to fit a plastic tank inside. The challenge is access, it is going to have to fit through a hatch, I need a minimum of 75lts ideally 100 in total. 3 questions to the forum:

1 Has anyone ever connected 2 smaller tanks together, I am thinking connect the two breathers into one vent, block off one filler and pick up and use skin fittings and fuel hose to link the tanks together? Key point is that I must be able to fill both tanks from one filler.

3 Anyone know of a supplier of flexible tanks that could be squeezed through a small gap?

Should point out that I am looking for off the shelf solutions, rather than bespoke, the Bank Manager insists!!

Regards

Andy
Breathers.....no problem but unless you "T" the fillers they won't transfer fast enough when you're filling. I'm guessing the plan is to put stop valves to select the tank to draw from otherwise you'll draw air from which ever tank empties first.
Old 17 January 2016, 17:29   #6

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post

Regards

Andy
Breathers.....no problem but unless you "T" the fillers they won't transfer fast enough when you're filling. I'm guessing the plan is to put stop valves to select the tank to draw from otherwise you'll draw air from which ever tank empties first.