Old 18 March 2009, 16:24   #1

Town: Negaunee, Michigan
Make: Avon SR6
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Evinrude
Fuel Tank Questions

I have recently aquired a Avon SR6 that I am trying to outfit and am looking for advice.

Someone has placed a 27gl. fuel cell under the seat. It is not completely installed or secured.

I intend on using this boat for diving, so there will be a lot of extra weight onboard.

I have a single 150hp two stroke Evinrude for power.

Would it be benificial for me to go back to the original location for the fuel cell ahead of the consol? I am thinking of weight distribution.

If I do move to ahead of the consol, I am considering going back to two portable tanks. Is there a way that a single engine can feed off of dual portable tanks? What is the easiest way of doing this?

I saw on this forum, someone had two portable tanks mounted on the "A frame" but I could not see if it was single or dual outboard.

Jeff
Old 19 March 2009, 09:19   #2

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Moving the fuel tank further forward would be a good idea in my opinion. It will help balance the boat especially if you are carry heavy gear at the stern.

There's no reason why you can't use two tanks, but I'd put a two way valve to connect them, so that you can control which tank the engine is drawing your fuel from. Guarantees a reserve tank that way.
Old 19 March 2009, 15:25   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Sort of depends on where you'll be putting divers and dive gear.

On my Polaris (18'), I have the console and pilots bench (double wide) pushed back against the transom. The fuel tank (200 gal) sits from about the front of the console running forwards. It ends several feet short of the usable space in the bow. This makes the boat a little nose-light for solo stuff, but once I get four or five divers (or more) and gear in the boat, it evens the balance out quite nicely.

I'd suggest taking a realistic look at how you intend to run a majority of the time, and balancing the boat for that (perhaps with a slight bias towards balancing for worst case.)

jky
Old 26 March 2009, 05:27   #4

Town: Cork
Boat name: Yorkie
Make: Humber 8 Metre Rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DF300
Fuel Tank

Do you know what type of fuel cell has been fitted, I am looking for additional fuel capacity for my rib and don't want to carry cans on the deck.
Cheers Andy Buoy
Old 27 March 2009, 15:21   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
On my Polaris (18'), I have the console and pilots bench (double wide) pushed back against the transom. The fuel tank (200 gal) sits from about the front of the console running forwards.

Sorry; I was being an idiot. The tank is 50 gallons for a 200 mile range.

jky
Old 16 April 2009, 12:24   #6

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Moving the fuel tank further forward would be a good idea in my opinion. It will help balance the boat especially if you are carry heavy gear at the stern.

There's no reason why you can't use two tanks, but I'd put a two way valve to connect them, so that you can control which tank the engine is drawing your fuel from. Guarantees a reserve tank that way.
I like the idea of a reserve tank, can you explain bit more about a two way valve, where to get one maybe. Guess you connect to your existing fuel line with some kind of T device or is that the two way valve?
Old 16 April 2009, 12:39   #7
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
I like the idea of a reserve tank, can you explain bit more about a two way valve, where to get one maybe. Guess you connect to your existing fuel line with some kind of T device or is that the two way valve?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRASS-BOAT-FUE...1%7C240%3A1318

I have two of these in use - they seem fine. Male ports might suit you better. Watch that 12v lad though - he's tricky with VAT...
Old 16 April 2009, 13:12   #8

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Miss Isle
Make: Solent 6.9
Engine: 225 optimax
Thanks Willk, appreciated, male fittings would be better, I've mailed him to see if he has such a thing