Old 25 September 2016, 00:50   #21

Make: Nautica
Length: 6m +
Engine: Twin outboard
The construction of the tank and how it's accessed is sometimes determined by a commercial use specification that the builder was going for. Don't blame them entirely.
Old 25 September 2016, 05:58   #22

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
The construction of the tank and how it's accessed is sometimes determined by a commercial use specification that the builder was going for. Don't blame them entirely.
I've been through the "coding" fiasco with a hard boat and yes, the location of the fuel tank could effect the stabitlity for heal and run off for the weather deck but it wouldn't dictate that the tank be "glassed in". A sealed screw down hatch would preserve the integrity of a weather deck and satisfy coding requirements.

They're cutting corners and leaving a real headache for future owners.
Old 27 September 2016, 20:33   #23

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
As others have said, cleaning the tank with soapy water and then drying it is probably the best bet.

ASAP Supplies do a fuel polishing 'kit' which I was considering fitting during this years refit.

http://www.asap-supplies.com/media/f...ing_System.pdf

Your filter has to be in an accessible place or else you won't check / change it.
Old 28 September 2016, 08:38   #24

Town: global
Boat name: VSR
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
I've been through the "coding" fiasco with a hard boat and yes, the location of the fuel tank could effect the stabitlity for heal and run off for the weather deck but it wouldn't dictate that the tank be "glassed in". A sealed screw down hatch would preserve the integrity of a weather deck and satisfy coding requirements.

They're cutting corners and leaving a real headache for future owners.
Well said and totally agree.

I can't imagine why you would not put in an inspection port to access your sole source of fuel not to mention access to pull out the tank (but that's for a different thread).

Just a small 6" leak proof port would suffice and would make life so much easier to clean, inspect, service and flush out your permanent tank for a long and healthy life. You could even get to the hose nipple and fuel gauge if postponed correctly.

Would that be asking for too much? I'm having a hard time appreciating stories who say otherwise considering that most quality boats have such access in the past. I don't think our problems of petrol in tanks will be improving in the future anytime soon.

As mentioned earlier, having a fuel polishing system could be really good and not that hard to implement but I guess that would require access to the tank.
Old 28 September 2016, 09:47   #25

Town: Flitch Green
Boat name: The Butt
Make: Ribtec 655
Engine: 200 HP Mercury
All I know is that when I get to the boat on Saturday I am going to have a damn good look in the tank to see what I can see - hopefully it just needs a clean but I am now worried about it leaking!

Will report back! Big day planned on Saturday in terms of stuff to get done!
Old 28 September 2016, 10:38   #26
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mode View Post
All I know is that when I get to the boat on Saturday I am going to have a damn good look in the tank to see what I can see - hopefully it just needs a clean but I am now worried about it leaking!

Will report back! Big day planned on Saturday in terms of stuff to get done!
Is there a specific reason that you think it needs cleaned? Or that it has failed in some way? IIWY, I wouldn't fixate overly on Last Tango's opinion on stainless tanks - lots of RIBs have gone to their grave on the original tank.

Most fuel tanks are going to have SOME crud in the corners and around baffles. If it isn't floating about it's not a massive issue (unless you add a magic cleaner that causes it all to lift off simultaneously!) If the tank is solid and you remove any water and particulates then I think messing with the tank will just give you more trouble...