Old 09 August 2007, 09:36   #1

Town: Valencia
Length: no boat
Fuel sender gasket replacement

Greetings all, I´ve read through past postings here on the replacement of a fuel sender gasket (or the big gasket that sits on the sender plate). Anyone got any recent experience of fitting as I could only find 1 post (v informative with photos) & mine has only lasted 1 year.

My boats a Ribeye Playtime 500, 12 mths old & only 35 teeth chattering hours to date. It is hot here in Spain so the constant expansion of the tank must have accelerated the degradation, plus I always fill back to the brim after each trip.

Problem came to light over the last weekend, fuel full to the brim & bit of a swell, plus a 45 degree launch angle due to Rollercoaster trailor & 10 inches of water to launch into. Fuel weeps out the sender plate gasket & collects in the bilge, I´ve cleaned everything up & checked jubilee clips are tight, tightened up sender plate screws & it is still weeping.

Previous post said that the gaskets are all poor & only last 1 year, in which case does everyone has the same problem? I wouldn´t have noticed unless I´d stuck my head in the anchor locker (rare event!).

I plan to renew the gasket & smother all surfaces in Hylomar sealant & seal up. Is there anything better on the market? The screws are pretty unaccessible so I don´t want to repeat next week.

Advice appreciated, happy boating everyone.
Old 09 August 2007, 18:31   #2

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
I've just had to do this on my boat and its a shite job. I bought some 3mm rubber sheet off ebay and made myself a gasket as I had no idea where I could get an original one from. I used Hylomar to seal it as well.

It seems to be holding now.

Chris