Old 29 July 2017, 16:49   #1

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Fuel Gauge and Filler

Its time to start fitting out the console but I'm in a quandry when it comes to the fuel side of things.

I like having a fuel gauge, not very accurate at sea I know but a good indicator of what is roughly left in the tank if it is set up correctly.

I'm swithering of adding an N2K network to the boat, can I use the network to show fuel on my N2K compliant Garmin 750 (or is it a 740, cant mind).

Secondly, my new console has no cut out under the seat to gain access to the internal tank fuel filler cap, can you get an extension that screws on to the fuel filler cap threads of the tank to raise it up to under the seat? My other option is to install a 5" round inspection hatch and put an extension on the funnel.

Unfortunately this would mean hinging the seats that are presently bolted to the console. The seat bases are a composite/plastic board that is very poor at taking screws as its just too soft.

Any ideas are welcome.

Pics too if you have them.

TIA
Old 29 July 2017, 17:12   #2

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
I like having a fuel gauge, not very accurate at sea I know but a good indicator of what is roughly left in the tank if it is set up correctly.
I'm sure the guys with immaculate boats one here have more luck with things like this but I don't think I've been on a well used RIB that has a working gauge! Do you have enough time in your life to keep it maintained?

At best, It will only work if the boat is flat. A wooden stick marked every 10 litres or whatever will achieve the same, but doesn't do annoying things like lie to you!

Quote:
I'm swithering of adding an N2K network to the boat, can I use the network to show fuel on my N2K compliant Garmin 750 (or is it a 740, cant mind).
I thought the 740 was NMEA2000 comatible but needed extra kit to do 2k.

Quote:
Pics too if you have them.
Quote:
Secondly, my new console has no cut out under the seat to gain access to the internal tank fuel filler cap, can you get an extension that screws on to the fuel filler cap threads of the tank to raise it up to under the seat? My other option is to install a 5" round inspection hatch and put an extension on the funnel.
What you said
Old 29 July 2017, 18:27   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
You can get an attachment for Honda generators which allows them to be run from an external (o/board hulk style) tank. It looks like a metal tank cap with a fitting that connects to standard fuel house. Not sure if they are the same threads but you could probably make something if you can't find one.
Old 30 July 2017, 09:14   #4

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
If you are going to rig your gauge upto nmea. Try one of these. Offshore Systems Nmea2000 Fuel Level Senders For Deck Filler Gauges | Piplers

By the time you bought a rubbish fuel level and nmea converter this would not look so expensive and it's more accurate. Calibrate the tank size on the network and it should be pretty good
Old 30 July 2017, 09:47   #5

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the nmea sender, do you have experience of this unit yourself?
Old 01 August 2017, 20:18   #6

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I like the look of the nmea sender, do you have experience of this unit yourself?
I have one. The hardest part about it is you have to cut it to length. Seems totally odd hacking the stainless tube up. There is a place near new Milton that sell them direct from memory.