Old 15 September 2013, 08:03   #1

Frustrating :-(

Today was my first chance to try our new (to us) Avon 560, so with the forecast being the way it is and not knowing the boat or engine we decided to play safe and bob it onto lake windermere. Left the slipway at ferry nab (6mph obviously). Headed for open water, opened up to 10 mph, she's still in the whole, as soon as she starts to rise she's off ;-)

I don't want to be a terrorist on the lake but I tried to throttle back but she seems to drop back in the whole at about 15mph has anyone any tips, it's our first rib, we had a small sports cruiser before this and it was much more docile.

We are going to try Loch Lomond next we think, no speed limit ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Rib.net
Old 15 September 2013, 08:40   #2

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by picky View Post
Today was my first chance to try our new (to us) Avon 560, so with the forecast being the way it is and not knowing the boat or engine we decided to play safe and bob it onto lake windermere. Left the slipway at ferry nab (6mph obviously). Headed for open water, opened up to 10 mph, she's still in the whole, as soon as she starts to rise she's off ;-)

I don't want to be a terrorist on the lake but I tried to throttle back but she seems to drop back in the whole at about 15mph has anyone any tips, it's our first rib, we had a small sports cruiser before this and it was much more docile.

you probably just need to be between 15 to 20mph to stay on the plane, Loch Lomond will give you plenty of opportunity to get the feel of it. If you've not been before its better to register before you go, get your numbers sorted and something to stick them on, they wont stick to the tubes, tried that one by the way, there are speed limits on the Loch these days, but there are still plenty of places to give the rib a good blast, far more relaxed than the Lakes
Old 15 September 2013, 09:19   #3

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: 100
its worth looking out the Loch Lomond navigation guide (£12 from their national park online shop), this was put together with BGS, and its a huge leap forward from the one they had in the early years of the park.
Old 15 September 2013, 09:27   #4

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilean mor View Post
its worth looking out the Loch Lomond navigation guide (£12 from their national park online shop), this was put together with BGS, and its a huge leap forward from the one they had in the early years of the park.
+1

if you find somewhere to stay with their own slipway then you wont need to pay the fee for using the slip at Balloch, it's a good slip but not the best location. much more to see and do further up the Loch
Old 15 September 2013, 16:27   #5

Just been back to Windermere, it was poring down and blowing at least a five, had an absolute hoot ;-)

We only came back in because the rain was horizontal and I couldn't see properly, do you guys use goggles and if so what do you recommend?

Old 15 September 2013, 18:12   #6

Town: Newcastle
Boat name: Jacinda Too
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 80hp
Hi. Interesting thread, hope you enjoyed the Avon. I have the same model, and have for the last 5 years- it has been superb, kept it in Dartmouth until recently and been around Start Point and Berry Head in rough seas, although she isn't the smoothest she never felt like it would be a problem so long as you used the correct speed.

Due to getting fed up with crap weather as I could only get down for odd weekends, and often ended up going out in daft seas, I have moved her to the South of France as a friend has a house down there. Had some great runs over the last year.

What engine do you have?

Mines Yam 80 and powers her well.

Re the planing issue ' mine gets up at a about 13 knts 2 or 3 up. Tops put about 35 knots.

Enjoy!
Old 15 September 2013, 18:16   #7

if your coming upto loch lomond give me a shout, i'll take my 560 over too :-)

BTW, a lot of the loch is restricted but once your in the middle bits your free to open her up.

my 560 will drop off the plane about 15mph, you can keep it up there if you keep tickling the throttle but it really need to be about 18mph minimum to keep it ontop.

cheers
Old 16 September 2013, 07:13   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Accrington
Length: no boat
Just got back from Loch Lomond, Fantastic place, Charts a must IMHO.
Enjoy, just keep an eye out for this one

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loch Lomond Sep 13 189.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	85464

Old 16 September 2013, 11:05   #9

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by picky View Post

Hydrofoils might be the answer to a lower plane speed and smoother transition to plane - I've fitted them and they really work for me

I use this one - no need to drill the cav plate

Force 4 Marine Dynamics Stingray Stealth 2 Hydrofoil - Only £89.95 - Force 4 Chandlery