Old 08 September 2004, 21:47   #1

Town: Enfield, Co Meath
Boat name: no name
Make: Zodiac Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 115
Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
France no 2 - mixed messages

Hopefully this will have caught the attention of at least the French and the Paddies...

I'm new here - so excuse me if I'm breaking any protocols - but I have 3 questions (each one being a multipart question!!):

(a) I was using a RIB in France which seemed to be fitted with a drain plug which incorporated a self bailer. I dont remember the make - it wasnt a mainstream make that I've seen - at least here in Ireland - or in the English mags. It definitely wasnt fitted with an elephant's trunk (donkey's dont have trunks...) - but the cockpit definitely drained itself when we were plaining without taking the bung out. Could this be ? (Perhaps it was leaking - but it didnt appear to be...). I've enquired about self draining bungs, but to no avail (I'm not talking about an autobailer, as fitted to dingies... though they might work) - though one person suggested that this was available from Zodiac as a proprietary part - anybody got any ideas ?

(b) My Rib is fitted with GPS/Fishfinder, Radio and bilge pump - and has one battery. The battery is fitted in the console, on the floor - however, the console has a shelf in it, just below the level of the top of the sponsons. A friend has sugested that I should raise the battery to the higher level to keep it dry (seems reasonable - but it hasnt got wet enough to flatten it yet...) any ideas - should I ??? I've also considered fitting a second battery with a changeover/isolation switch - but as I use the RIB mainly for day trips & play - I'm not sure I'll reap any benefit - any tips ???

(c) I'm considering trailing the RIB to France next year for the hols. This year we were in Mimizan, and had the use of a RIB on some lakes down there - everybody enjoyed it - so it seemed a reasonable idea to bring our own next year. Any tips/ideas/precautions about legalities, practicalities - and even possible locations ??? All information gratefully recieved ....

louis
Old 09 September 2004, 06:58   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: none
Length: no boat
Zodiac fitted some of there inflatables with a self bailer. Lets water out but not back in and no bung required.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 07:11   #3

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Hi Louis
Re the battery moving it up on the shelf makes sense, as if you where swamped by a wave the battery will remain high & dry!
Your feet will still get wet !
Nick
Old 09 September 2004, 07:12   #4

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Hi Louis,

Regarding taking your boat to France, have a read of this thread: http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6120 . It will tell you what documentation you need to take with you.

Last year we holidayed in Morbihan and very much wished we had our boat with us. The Golfe de Morbihan (a huge natural harbour with over 300 islands) would be great to explore (although I've heard it has some very shallow parts so caution and charts are needed!) and if you go outside the Golfe, the Atlantic coast is beautiful. A trip over to one of the islands such as Belle Ile is a must. We stayed on the island for three days and it was lovely.

The northern coast of France is also on our 'must do' list, especially Northern Brittany with all the little inlets (the 'Abers' I think they're known as) and the area around the Crozon peninsula.

We have considered taking our boat to France but have not yet done so. If you make it, do let us know how you get on. One thing we did notice was that many coastal places had good slipways, often free of charge and often with good parking nearby.

Regarding raising your battery, I guess it depends how much water you get swilling around inside the console. If you take a lot of water on board then having the battery mounted higher could be handy, I guess. I'm sure much more knowledgeable forum members will give the definitive answer on that one!

I would think, in your position, having a second battery is a nice luxury if you have space for it. Do you leave the boat unattended for long periods of time with a bilge pump wired in? If so, having a second battery could mean the difference between disappointment (because you can't go out as the battery is flat) and happiness! It is also nice to have a stand-by for safety reasons but I would think most RIBs only have one battery. Once again, a more experienced person than me will probably give you a better answer than mine!

HTH

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Edit: looks like Nick already answered the battery question!
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 07:46   #5

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
Hi Louis,
Getting the battery higher is fine if it is safe to do and you have room i could not do this. My battery is in a plastic battery box under seat with lid and all fixed down seems to do a good job.
Old 09 September 2004, 08:13   #6

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Louis

Was the plug/drainer a "ping pong ball in a plastic cone" type of thing. These are often fitted to ribs and come in several sizes.
They are not as effective as trunks for shifting large amounts of water and can stick open if you get debris (leaves etc) stuck in them. Otherwise they are fine.
Old 09 September 2004, 11:20   #7
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
Louis

Was the plug/drainer a "ping pong ball in a plastic cone" type of thing. These are often fitted to ribs and come in several sizes.
They are not as effective as trunks for shifting large amounts of water and can stick open if you get debris (leaves etc) stuck in them. Otherwise they are fine.
I have 2 of the ping pong ball type drainers fitted to my RIB and found that thay were more effective at shifting the water than a trunk. Also you don't need to keep putting them up and down when you are stopped or anchoring.
Old 09 September 2004, 21:29   #8

Send a message via AIM to lc0021 Send a message via MSN to lc0021 Send a message via Skype™ to lc0021
Thanks everybody...

for all the replies.

I'll probably move the battery up - but I'm still undecided about the second battery - I usually take it home - but not always - and it's usually when the kids (or oursleves) are really having a good time that we dont - so considering Murphy's Law and all that.... maybe I'll do it over the winter.

I didnt examine the self bailing bungs closely - but I guess the were the ping pong ball and cone affair - to be honest it just looked like a normal bung from the outside.... I've just fitted a bilge pump - but I reckon one of those self bailers would be useful anyway.... Any idea where they might be available online ???

On the travelling to France thing - I'm pretty committed to doing it - the South Breton Coast sounds really attractive... though it's probably going to be aquitaine this time. Always a good idea to have a reserve of things to do and places to go....
Old 09 September 2004, 21:35   #9

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Some links to whet your appetite:

http://www.golfe-du-morbihan.com/

http://golfe.du.morbihan.free.fr/

http://www.belle-ile.com/

Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2004, 21:44   #10

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
i had a Bombard SIB years ago which had a one way valve to let water out. The valve just consisted of a thin piece of rubber.

Seemed to work okay. I never sank.
Old 10 September 2004, 07:59   #11

Louis & Biggles

Like this then? http://cat.polymarine.com/acatalog/P...ailers_10.html
If it just looked like a plain bung it was not a ping pong ball type.

Tue
What size have you got. My 3/4" (hole) drain takes the best part of 1 min to empty 2 galons from the sump when planing.
Also if it does not reseat properly I end up with 1" or 2 of water over the floor in an hour or so.
Old 10 September 2004, 08:30   #12
tue

Town: Paignton, Devon
Make: Chinook and Viking
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150 Etec + 125 Merc
I got the biggest ones they did 2" I think. Also mine are just above the water line so I don't get back flushing if it does not re-seat unless theres a bit of a chop but even then it comes in and goes straight out again.

I got mine from International Marine Supplies. They do have a website but I couldn't find the bailers on it.
Old 10 September 2004, 08:56   #13

Ta Paul

I am looking at putting something bigger in mine, trouble is the floor is 2" below water line at rest. Mike Porter was getting a big one for me but he is a bit busy with the Boat Show at present.
Old 10 September 2004, 22:39   #14

Self bailer

Yep - I reckon thats the one - thanks Mark. I owe you a pint of Guinness.
Old 10 September 2004, 22:58   #15

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by lc0021
Hopefully this will have caught the attention of at least the French and the Paddies..
Failte 'gus fiche,

Paddies Galore