Old 21 June 2011, 08:56   #1

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Fortress anchors

I have a lead on a Fortress FX-23 anchor for sale locally at what appears to be a very good price - not sure of age or condition but am going for a look. Yes I know that size is supposed to be for a 12-14 metre boat but I have a possible use for it, and I like overkill

So ... simple question, how do I tell a genuine Fortress from a knock off cheap Danforth copy that should be £20? A magnet is obviously a good place to start as the Fortress is supposed to be aluminium and presumably most/all of the cheapies are galvanised steel, but does the genuine article have anything stamped into it or is it otherwise labelled?

Thanks

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 09:11   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Apart from the shank markings (which could be fake), I'd suggest taking a fish scales along and weigh the thing. Their website says they're 6.8kg. I presume a knock off would be heavier - if it's steel.
Old 21 June 2011, 09:51   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
If you can get a photo of it I would send it to Brian Sheehan at Fortress in the US. They have had a couple of changes of livery over the years so he may be able to date it as well.

I have recently been in contact with Brian about using our FX23 on our yacht. He was very helpful and I suggested it would be a superb storm anchor which I agree, and for you too especially given your location. In the end I sold it and bought the FX16 but only because it is slightly smaller and easier to stow. However, if you don't decide to go ahead and its a genuine Fortress I would be interested.

Note the Fortress website recommends chain and rope rather than all chain to provide some "give" useful on a rib to help keep the weight down.

Pete
Old 21 June 2011, 12:58   #4

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Length: 7m +
BogMonster,

Thank you for your interest in our product. The FORTRESS name and the model number FX-23 should be clearly engraved and painted on one side of the shank.

The other side of the shank should only have the name FORTRESS and our logo.

If the color of the paint is red, then the anchor is our current and latest version that has been in production for approximately 15 years. Older versions would have blue (16-19 years ago) or black (20+ years) lettering.

I have attached a group photo which shows all of our anchor models and a photo of a disassembled Fortress for your review.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fortress_group_photo-small.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	60296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fortress_Disassembled small.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	60297  
Old 21 June 2011, 13:29   #5

Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Q.E.D.
Old 21 June 2011, 20:04   #6

Hi Brian - many thanks - I had a quick look at it this afternoon but unfortunately RIBnet was offline when I looked earlier so I hadn't seen your response.

It definitely had the engraved name on it so was genuine, a little bit of wear on the flukes and the cross bar was slightly bent, but I can't recall what colour the lettering was.

The one thing I couldn't figure out looking at it is that the website said they are variable angle but I couldn't see how this adjusted, or perhaps this is only on the newest/current model? I think there was a bit missing as I'm sure there were just four holes either side of the swivel piece that the flukes slide into, whereas on the exploded picture it looks like there are two separate plates that bolt on?

Thanks

Old 21 June 2011, 20:42   #7

Town: West of Scotland
Make: humber
Engine: 100
hi, I've got a fortress, and use it at various times with various boats, and its great, definitely like it with some chain on it tho as well as the rope, and now I'm feeling aged, based on the colour of the writing on it, as I bought it new!
Old 22 June 2011, 11:53   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Stephen,

The difference between the mud and hard sand setting is two holes in the crown piece which changes the angle of attack for the flukes. It needs to be chosen when the anchor is essembled.

There should be two separate mud palms with the anchor, unless they have been lost. Little angled square plates that have 4 screws each and attach to the crown one each side, you can see the screw holes in Brians picture.

http://www.fortressanchors.com/fortr...ent_parts.html

Pete
Old 22 June 2011, 13:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Hi Brian - many thanks - I had a quick look at it this afternoon but unfortunately RIBnet was offline when I looked earlier so I hadn't seen your response.

It definitely had the engraved name on it so was genuine, a little bit of wear on the flukes and the cross bar was slightly bent, but I can't recall what colour the lettering was.

The one thing I couldn't figure out looking at it is that the website said they are variable angle but I couldn't see how this adjusted, or perhaps this is only on the newest/current model? I think there was a bit missing as I'm sure there were just four holes either side of the swivel piece that the flukes slide into, whereas on the exploded picture it looks like there are two separate plates that bolt on?

Thanks
BogMonster,

A couple of quick notes & answers to your comments/questions:

1. Any damaged parts on the anchor will be replaced for free under our Lifetime Parts Replacement Warranty. The only cost will be for shipping & handling, which is nominal since the parts are lightweight and we ship via the US Postal Service, which is normally more reasonable than UPS, FEDEX, DHL, etc.

It does not matter to us that you are not the original purchaser of this used Fortress anchor, and you will not be required to return the damaged parts.

2. I have attached an image of the crown, or centerpiece of the anchor which all of the parts fit into. The bottom hole is for the 32° angle, and the top hole is for the 45° soft mud angle. The ONLY time that you would ever assemble the anchor at the 45° angle is if you want to increase the holding power in a very soft, silty type of soft mud bottom.

In all other cases, please assemble the anchor at the 32° opening.

I have also attached one of the above images of the complete anchor, only this time with arrows and notes for these hole openings. The 32° / 45° adjustable angle feature has been offered on all but the very first production anchors that were manufactured about 20 years ago.

I hope that this information has been helpful!

Be safe,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crown.pdf (20.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: pdf Anchor_Parts_openings.pdf (94.5 KB, 84 views)
Old 22 June 2011, 17:13   #10

Thanks Brian and Pete.

I'll have another look but I'm pretty sure the mud palms were missing and there were just holes there (both sides) what effect does this have on the performance? Bottoms here can be sand, mud or rock. Couldn't say if they fell off or were never fitted - the guy selling the anchor only acquired it off a boat he bought and then kept it when he sold the boat!

Old 22 June 2011, 17:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Thanks Brian and Pete.

I'll have another look but I'm pretty sure the mud palms were missing and there were just holes there (both sides) what effect does this have on the performance? Bottoms here can be sand, mud or rock. Couldn't say if they fell off or were never fitted - the guy selling the anchor only acquired it off a boat he bought and then kept it when he sold the boat!
We recommend that you permanently install the Mud Palms, as they lift the back end of the anchor up so that the flukes will take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom and the anchor will set faster.

If the anchor doesn't have the Mud Palms, then I will send you a set for free, just pay shipping & handling.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 22 June 2011, 21:48   #12

Wow - thanks - awesome customer backup

I'm beginning to see why the anchors are very sought after

I'll get hold of you if I do buy it - many thanks