Old 18 April 2008, 11:22   #1

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
fortnight at sea?

Hi, looking forwards to my annual Cornwall holiday (and the real reason i brought the SIB at all!), im looking into how to keep my lil boat secure at sea.

For anchoring purposes i was thinking of a 6kg Delta type anchor; 5m 8mm chain and 30m of 12mm rope. The boat is a 3.8m Zodia Ventura SIB / 40hp.

Im hoping to leave it moored at sea for 2 weeks while in cornwall this year. Their is a fixed eyelet in the rock which i saw a RIB use last year. When at highwater this area is completely submerged and 20-30 metres from land. When low water, the eyelet is above ground by some metres - although still surrounded by water (and some jutting out rocks here and their). I guess you would want to take precauitions against becoming grounded or rubbing against these very craggy rocks!

Would the correct technique be to anchor away from this point wit hthe Delta, and then run a fixed line to the eyelet as a precaution? I've attatched a pic showing its rough location, the tide is about midway.

How much anchor line would you pay out, if i were to use all 30metres would that not leave it vulnerable to the surroundings at low tide - unless it was anchored at least 30 metres from any obstacles.

Also at what point would you guys bring it back onto land in case of bad weather - i can imagine being quite nervous leaving it at sea.

Any info would be appreicated, i realise im a complete novice but i dont want to learn by a destroyed SIB or one that vanishes overnight!
Old 18 April 2008, 11:31   #2

Old 18 April 2008, 11:38   #3

Town: Worcester
Make: Northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp Yam 4 stroke
MMSI: 235063097
Andrew

As well as the method of anchoring your boat, you also need to consider the insurance implications. I would be very surprised if your insurance permits your boat being left on on anything other than a professionally laid mooring.
Old 18 April 2008, 11:45   #4

PS. Your proposed anchor set up is bit overkill. A Delta style is a great anchor and I presume 6kg is the smallest you can get hold of. However I would definitely reduce the chain to 6mm and the rope to 10mm, to save weight and space in your boat. A small SIB puts negligible strain on an anchor.
Old 18 April 2008, 11:46   #5

Town: Fareham
I wouldn't like to leave it tied to any rock, too many unknowns like damaged boat against the same rock, or chaffed line resulting in the boat drifting away.

If you really wanted to anchor or moor for a two week stay then might I suggest either finding a propper bouyed line or even sinking one yourself (if this is possible??), all you need is a tyre, some concrete mix, an eye and bouy this would at least keep you away from the rocks. Make sure you make the anchor line removable so that at the end of the two weeks you just leave the tyre ballast (unless you want to remove this too).

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 11:55   #6

thanks for replies. Your right 6mm/10mm is what i was looking at last year...

Perhaps it is best to avoid mooring to the rock afterall. I only thought it was sensible as i saw a rib out their for a couple of weeks last year.

I'll look into making a boyued line, I take it leaving just at anchor is a real no-no then?
Old 18 April 2008, 12:00   #7

I wouldn't like to leave my boat at all secured by just the anchor unless the weather was excellent and wouldn't be happy leaving any boat overnight on just an anchor, unless I was aboard. I would be opting for something altogether more substantial. The other reson for the mooring was to move the SIB away from those menancing looking rocks. Is there no chance of removing the SIB at the end of each day?

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 April 2008, 12:09   #8

Leaving your boat at anchor is not a complete no-no, but it is certainly less than ideal. You at least need a sheltered location over sand rather than rocks. However your boat it as risk of damage or theft if left anchored and unattended, which is why your insurance will not cover you.

You could add a second kedge anchor off the back of the boat to stop it swinging in the tide, and to offer some security if the main anchor failed.

But I agree with Hightower; best to use a proper mooring or take the boat out of the water.
Old 18 April 2008, 12:32   #9

thanks for advice. It really is a desolate location... their is a beach on one side and a rocky cove on the other. A freind leaves his lazer in the cove... however it is only accessable at high tide and their are quite a few half submerged rocks to avoid. Also may be difficult hauling the sib in but i'll give it some more thought!

Old 18 April 2008, 13:54   #10

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
If the cove is sheltered, why not use the concrete filled tyre placed well out as a basis for a running mooring?

Place a block on the tyre and run a loop of line through the block and back to shore.

Tie the boat to the loop of line and pull it out so that it sits way off shore so is safe.

Also that is accessable at all states of the tide.

You could use your Delta for the 'shore end' of the loop.

If anything parts you have two lines, anchored at two places.
Old 19 April 2008, 17:27   #11

thanks for suggestions. I will probably try my hand at making my own mooring and use the anchor as a backup. I will do a bit of searching on this - but when you say fill a tyre with concrete, do you mean fill the rim of a tyre or the rubber tyre itself. Also does the weight need to be buried - as its a rocky seabed. What kind of length chain/rope would i use to the buoy?

Thanks guys
Old 19 April 2008, 21:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewUkR6 View Post
thanks for suggestions. I will probably try my hand at making my own mooring and use the anchor as a backup. I will do a bit of searching on this - but when you say fill a tyre with concrete, do you mean fill the rim of a tyre or the rubber tyre itself. Also does the weight need to be buried - as its a rocky seabed. What kind of length chain/rope would i use to the buoy?

Thanks guys
Just lay the tyre flat on a piece of wood, position an anchor eye in the centre supported by bricks or whatever and fill to the brim with contcrete and let set. I would use a length of chain that would be based on the length of the boat, the sea bed conditions and what sort of weather I was expecting. perhaps 10mm at a guess, someone will I'm sure give you a more accurate Idea of what you need.

I wouldn't worry about the mooring drifting as if the seabed is as rough as you suggest then it will get embedded in the rocks.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 19 April 2008, 21:45   #13

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Hello Andrew,
Before you plan to create a "permanent" mooring off the coast, it may be wise to consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). It does look a bit exposed to the weather, perhaps accounting for the lack of swinging moorings in the area. I've looked at your earlier posts and you appear to have trailer and launching wheels... wouldn't these be better or are there no beaches and/or slipways in the area?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2008, 22:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Hello Andrew,
Before you plan to create a "permanent" mooring off the coast, it may be wise to consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). It does look a bit exposed to the weather, perhaps accounting for the lack of swinging moorings in the area. I've looked at your earlier posts and you appear to have trailer and launching wheels... wouldn't these be better or are there no beaches and/or slipways in the area?
Well this is what I suggest too, but Andrew is very persistant Richard.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 April 2008, 09:26   #15
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
...consider why there are no other moorings there (apart from the ring) and who owns such rights (probably the Duchy of Cornwall). ...
I would have thougt it was the crown estates commissioners unless it falls within the remit of a local harbour authority.

Quote:
Make sure you make the anchor line removable so that at the end of the two weeks you just leave the tyre ballast (unless you want to remove this too).
Leaving your old tyre is not the most eco-friendly piece of advice. One tyre won't ruin the planet. But if everyone here did it every time they went away for 1/2 weeks then you can be sure that the authorities will clamp down on "rogue" moorings. So I politely ask that you take your rubbish home at the end of the holiday.
Old 20 April 2008, 14:02   #16

The closest slipways are some miles away, its a very isolated location. It may be i end up launching daily, but it would have been great to keep the SIB at sea for a couple of days and not worry about getting back to the slips at high tide, and navigating some very tricky pathways with the boat etc.

I will speak to the guy who owns the estate. As for other moorings in the area their is a fishermans cove around the corner with an ancient slip (not in use anymore). Their are probably some moorings their but im not sure the local fishermen would be too happy if i borrow one of theirs!

As for retrieving the wheel at the end if i do decide to make my own - it was on my mind, and as its been a beautiful lcoation ive enjoyed for many years im sure i would like to leave it as i found it! I'd also ask the owner if he's happy with me to go ahead.

For those interested here is a Local Live aerial view of the surrounding area...

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...cl=1&encType=1
Old 20 April 2008, 16:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Leaving your old tyre is not the most eco-friendly piece of advice. One tyre won't ruin the planet. But if everyone here did it every time they went away for 1/2 weeks then you can be sure that the authorities will clamp down on "rogue" moorings. So I politely ask that you take your rubbish home at the end of the holiday.
Can't argue with you there. But I doubt that the odd tyre here or there is going to hurt, in actual fact might well support life rather than destroy it.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 20 April 2008, 19:36   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Torro
Make: Aircraft
Engine: Outboard, Petrol 175
MMSI: 235061644
2 weeks anchoring

I've just come back from 2 weeks up in NW Scotland and was confronted with a similar situation. I set up my own mooring buoy anchored by twin anchors off 10m of chain each and 50m of warp each. Although you will need much less as my rib is 6.8m. Underneath the mooring buoy I shackled a galvinised pulley block and led 100m of warp from the rib's bow eye, through the pulley and back to a beach anchor. I then led 100m of warp off the transom eye and back to the beach anchor. I then had a pulley system, which allowed me to pull the boat back to the beach. You have to set up this system at low tide to assess all dangers but it works really well, as long as the beach anchor is uncovered at high tie, then it's a swim to get at your boat,