Old 27 July 2012, 14:11   #1

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
Force CFI Outboards

Looking at a Force CFI outboard, 125 Hp, anyone have any opinions on them?

Not sure if they are reliable, or if spares are available etc....
Old 27 July 2012, 19:37   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Check out this thread from a US boating forum (2005) with names such as fastdaddy55 and TexasWhaler and you get the general mood from a patriotic American audience that even they didn't want second best, even if it was home-grown.
History of FORCE Outboard motors - Moderated Discussion Areas

Then there's parts. Sure you can go to Bill Higham or ship it via Brunswick, but there's nothing like accessing parts through a local dealer website. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of stuff on EBay, including starter motors and impellers.

Then there's the resale value or lack of it. Bit like Parsun outboards. A suitable option could be a Tohatsu 120 (2 stroke) or Yamaha 90hp, 115hp, etc. What boat is this engine for, budget, transom maximum weight, etc.

Bill Higham has a Force 120hp just now. That's a lot of cash for a 14 year old engine, even if it is low hours and fresh water. Buy Used Outboards Force 120.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine
Old 28 July 2012, 01:09   #3

Town: Zummerset
Boat name: irven arlyss
Make: Humber Oceanpro
Length: 6m +
Engine: evinrude 135hp
will give it a miss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Check out this thread from a US boating forum (2005) with names such as fastdaddy55 and TexasWhaler and you get the general mood from a patriotic American audience that even they didn't want second best, even if it was home-grown.
History of FORCE Outboard motors - Moderated Discussion Areas

Then there's parts. Sure you can go to Bill Higham or ship it via Brunswick, but there's nothing like accessing parts through a local dealer website. I was genuinely surprised by the amount of stuff on EBay, including starter motors and impellers.

Then there's the resale value or lack of it. Bit like Parsun outboards. A suitable option could be a Tohatsu 120 (2 stroke) or Yamaha 90hp, 115hp, etc. What boat is this engine for, budget, transom maximum weight, etc.

Bill Higham has a Force 120hp just now. That's a lot of cash for a 14 year old engine, even if it is low hours and fresh water. Buy Used Outboards Force 120.0HP Outboard at Bill Higham Marine
Thanks, will give it a miss!

Seems like the opinions on the forum are real "marmite" (or Landy??) ones, love them or hate them.

It was actually attached to a boat, and was unsure anyway, so will walk away for now.........

Will keep looking for a suitable craft, and am guessing by the autumn, there will be a few cheap deals after all the lovely summer weather
Old 28 July 2012, 06:30   #4

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
my best working day was when the factory told us that the force OBMs will no longer be made, I went out and had a drink, I used to hate the damn things,havent touched one for years
Old 28 July 2012, 06:30   #5

Town: Huisnes sur Mer
Boat name: Raufoss
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto

Thanks, will give it a miss!

Seems like the opinions on the forum are real "marmite" (or Landy??) ones, love them or hate them.

It was actually attached to a boat, and was unsure anyway, so will walk away for now.........

Will keep looking for a suitable craft, and am guessing by the autumn, there will be a few cheap deals after all the lovely summer weather
Hi Gary
They're cheap for a reason..... Had a 60hp Force outboard many moons ago on the first RIB i owned.... Nothing but trouble to the point that i just didn't trust it to go further than a few miles off the coast....

I know where there might be a nice RIB for sale at the end of the season......

Will PM you shortly...

Simon