Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 29 May 2006, 13:38   #1

Town: Cape Cod USA
Length: no boat
Folding Transom Rib Question???

I've noticed alot of the smaller RIB's having a folding transom as an option. Does this have any negatives, e.g. to performance or long term structural integrity of the RIB?
Old 30 May 2006, 20:49   #2

C'mon...

lets help a yank out... not that YOU owe us anything mind you ;-)
Old 30 May 2006, 21:09   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodGuy3
I've noticed alot of the smaller RIB's having a folding transom as an option. Does this have any negatives, e.g. to performance or long term structural integrity of the RIB?
Maybe if you sent links to some examples?

jky
Old 30 May 2006, 21:22   #4

here's one mate...

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|586964|587468&id=586990
Old 31 May 2006, 08:24   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
CapeCodGuy3, the lack of response is probably due to a lack of information to share rather than unwillingness!

Until now I had never heard of a folding transom RIB, but for small tenders that need to be packed away it would seem to be a good idea. From a quick Google the Walker Bay Genesis seems to be the most popular, although Avon and Zodiac apparently have folding transom RIBs too.

Let us know how you get on!

John
Old 31 May 2006, 09:32   #6

Town: Hong Kong
Make: Walker Bay Genesis
Engine: Outboard, petrol, 25
Walker Bay Genesis

The Walker Bay Genesis Folding Transom RIB is a new design unveiled at the end of 2005. The manufacturer specifies a maximum engine weight of 55Kg for the 3.4m This is the same specification as for the RIB with the non-folding transom. If the manufacturer has got it right there would be no structural integrity or performance difference. Both are rated at a maximum of 25Knt with a 25HP.

I hope to be able to confirm that the manufacturer has got it right once I have taken delivery of the 3.4m folding transom. There has been a delay in delivery due to Walker Bay rejecting recently supplied hypalon from their supplier (Penel Orca) as being below Walker Bay's specifications. In fairness to Walker Bay they have been apologetic for the delay and have agreed to make special arrangements for delivery once the RIB is ready.

This may seem no big deal for those of you who only need to arrange delivery of RIB's within the UK. But if, like me, you are trying to organise delivery of a RIB from the US to the Philippines via Hong Kong (location of the Walker Bay dealer) it's not without its problems.

The apparent benefit of the folding transom is in respect of storage - a particularly important factor in the Philippines where if the RIB is left at anchor overnight with or without a guard your RIB may not be stolen but the anchor will be.

If Walker Bay's present promises are fulfilled I should have the RIB in the Philippines by mid-July. Then it will be used for island/beach hopping snorkelling etc. I'll report back on it - good or bad - later on my return to Hong Kong.

Note that with the 3.4m folding transom I have been informed that I could, if I wished, transport the RIB by air cargo on the same flight as myself between HK and the Philippines for HK$1,300 (approx. GPS90). Obviously without the engine but with a lot of Philippine Customs hassle.
Old 31 May 2006, 17:01   #7

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodGuy3
lets help a yank out... not that YOU owe us anything mind you ;-)
Don't mind helping a Yank out but what exactly do we owe??
Old 31 May 2006, 17:49   #8

Town: Oakland CA
First I've heard of this.

OTOH, if you look at most SIB's, they're based on the same sort of principle (i.e. tube inflation is what locates the transom.) So, I wouldn't say this is a groundbreaking design.

jky
Old 31 May 2006, 21:12   #9

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Dear Mr. C. Prawn.
Could you please explain your continuing derogatory remarks as they apply to both Americans and British citizens living in the USA. It is clear you have some bias. Perhaps, if you would spend a few of your valuable minutes explaining this it would help some of us to understand where you are coming from. A detailed and honest response would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 31 May 2006, 21:24   #10
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
i dont find codprawn particularly offensive towards americans (or british citizens living in the US) am I missing something.

I'm actually amazed that arrogant comments like
Quote:
"lets help a yank out... not that YOU owe us anything mind you ;-)"
were not flamed by several people on here. Its precisely that sort of attitude that makes people this side of the pond think that those the other side are all tw@ts - when in fact we know that this is not the case.

I too am interested to know why it is being suggested that I owe some sort of duty to respond to him?
Old 31 May 2006, 21:34   #11
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
what exactly do we owe??
Didn't they capture an Enigma machine?

DM
Old 31 May 2006, 21:46   #12
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:

As has been pointed out several times before on this forum (which is full of characters)

You post something in a public web site and you have to stand by it. if Mr C has an issue with a set of people or a group then that is his right, (Yanks are big on rights) as is it every ones right to disagree with his view…

For the record I find it amusing that any one has a list quite as long as his but what the hell it dose not make him a bad person.

A guy once asked. (Insert any guy you want floppy transom or not)

“Why is it every one seams to take an instant dislike to me”

to which the reply was given

“It saves time”
Old 31 May 2006, 22:38   #13

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Just for the record: I think the "owe" comment by the capecodguy was in poor taste. Also Mr. C. Prawn"s response to my initial post introducing myself as a British citizen and his response " another Yank" was also in even poorer taste. He has also used the term frequently since then. Maybe, one day he will visit one of the S.E states of the USA and use that term and receive a busted nose. If you do not know the full meaning of a slang word it is better not to use it in public.
Soooooo. Let us all be gentlemen and call it Quits, OK????
Old 31 May 2006, 23:24   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
fukk mee I fynk ittz tyme gArf caym owver eer too eksplane wott derrogitry reemarkks reely arr.

Maiby peeple arr beein a bytt to senzitiv eer?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2006, 03:25   #15

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Quote:
You owe us more pictures of your boat and descriptions of the things you are doing to it just as soon as you get them! How about that for starters? As to the comment regarding what you owe us, it probably is in reference to the amount of money British Petroleum is making in this country, not that I would single them out personally, Royal dutch shell and all our wonderful Yank oil companies are making a killing too! Isn't it wonderful?? Now, given the close political and cultural ties between the U.S. and Britain I for one tend to think of us (us being both countries) as joined at the hip, so no bickering gentlemen, neither of us is going anywhere... As to Codprawns comments, I personally take no offense being called a "Yank" I am a Yank from Cod's perspective, he seems to dole out his quite opinionated comments without prejudice, he seems somewhat nationalist, but most people are about the country they live in, take the Iraqis for example. At least Cod speaks what he really thinks, like it or not, I appreciate his honesty, don't necessarily like it all the time, but this forum does not exist to satisfy my likes and dislikes, or anyone's for that matter. It is about the water and the boats gentlemen!!