Old 22 March 2005, 08:00   #21

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Hang on, I thought this was about payment for services rendered.
Agreed good insurance is required, No boat should go to sea without it. Even my daughters Optimist dinghy carries £2,000,000 3rd party cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm
When you are a front row marshal and you hit another boat trying to keep the line
It is not my intention to hit anyone ore anything, however I accept that a spectator may, God forbid, be in collision with an official marshall craft, acting under warrant, to enforce navigation restrictions issued as a Notice to Mariners. I just hope the spectator craft has enough insurance.
I will ensure my insurance company is aware of what I am doing, and have agreed to cover me, my vessel and crew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm
All reasons why a charter company has to get licensed/coded and pay for it.
SM
They may be licenced and/or coded, but is every one of them insured? When times are hard, insurance can be one of the first things to be "forgoten". Sad, but true.

What ever my reasons for volenteering, I am not doing it for "financial gain" or as a commercial venture. I will gratefully accept any assistance offered towards costs, should they be offered.
Old 22 March 2005, 08:25   #22

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Checked with my insurance and all is OK Reasonable expenses are not payment in kind and providing I am not carrying fare paying passengers they don’t have an issue
Richard Salaman has said that of the 60 boats already signed up no one has had a problem Des
Old 22 March 2005, 08:54   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
I would be volenteering if I was not working at Wimbledon for the Tennis Championships over the same time. However I think your view of events as a Marshal would be limited to your patrol area!

The D-Day event 12 years ago was amazing and was the last large fleet review. However it was seat of your pants stuff, even then when there was far less pleasure craft on the water. Many thousands of boats cause a very disturbed & confusing water and it suprises many people. Just because people own big yachts and motor crusiers it does not mean they can drive them ... in these conditions. It all becomes an fight for survival and the best view!!! with the big boats plowing about through the small craft with what seems like no care in the world and as if they own it.

More recently even the Global Challange race start off Southsea Castle was a nightmare and I am surprised nobody was hurt.

I don't think this is a case of if you are commercially qualified or not. A ticket does not mean you are any better at handling a boat. (I am more than aware of the benifits of using a commercial skipper ... no lectures on that please).

Whoever does this, must have lots of hours behind the helm, so that you are not bothered by a highly confused sea cause by wash and mad solent conditions during one of these events and can handle your boat safely. You must have experience to allow you to deal with things that may go wrong out there. Your boat must not be a liability. You should not be partying the night before and get some sleep so you are prepared for a long day of hard concentration.

I am sure those that do it will have a great day and be proud to have helped out at this amazing event. I am very jealous to be stuck at Wimbledon!

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2005, 08:55   #24

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
For example:-
I took a couple of mates out for a spin the other weekend. We stopped for lunch and I toped off the fuel tank. My mates paid for this fuel. Was I being paid? Did this make the trip a charter?
Another example Mark.. You took your car to Chichester's Festival of Speed. Whilst there, it was used as a Marshall's pace car.. You weren't paid, you did have your petrol reimbursed tho...

I bet a pound to a penny if you had an accident, your car insurance company would laugh away any claim..

Car insurance is pretty specific.. Mine has to be "For Hire and Reward"... Even tho ordinary insurance covers you for Third Party Liability, the fact you guy's might be receiving a jacket could be perceived as "Reward"..
Old 22 March 2005, 09:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
you guy's might be receiving a jacket could be perceived as "Reward"..
Reasonable expenses are not payment in kind You are not going to get rich on a jacket Des
Old 22 March 2005, 09:22   #26

Reasonable expenses that cover the running of the boat, I agree, aren't payment in kind.. A jacket, isn't a reasonable expense.. Insurance companies are insurance companies.. If people have contacted their's, and given all the details, and have then received written proof they are covered, no probs.. Its the one's who don't have written proof.. Worst case scenario, your £30,000 rib is run over by a gin palace.. An uninsured gin palace.. Do you really think your insurance company is gonna hand over a cheque for £30k just like that?? I would reckon they will scour the fineprint to try and get out of paying..
Old 22 March 2005, 09:25   #27

Quote:
Another example Mark.. You took your car to Chichester's Festival of Speed.
Tony. You don't know how close you are. The incedent took place in the car park, but the story is not for a public forum. Remind me next time we meet.
Old 22 March 2005, 09:32   #28
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
How is that scenario gonna happen??? Its a complete extreme event.

If your a competent driver you`ll have a crew looking out behind you and you should be able to get out of the way with plenty of time!

It sounds that inmost cases anyway that if your insurance company fails to pay up, then in court, if you weren't at fault, you can recover your costs.

Just make sure you are not at fault.

CJL
Old 22 March 2005, 09:35   #29

Quote:
Reasonable expenses that cover the running of the boat, I agree, aren't payment in kind.. A jacket, isn't a reasonable expense..
Yes it is, if it is a requirement for organisational reasons or for safety
Sure, if they were giving you a Ralph Lauren Cashmere blazer there might be an issue but really Des
Old 22 March 2005, 10:02   #30

CJL.. That scenario would happen when two boats collide, (one being way bigger than the other).. Of course it's an extreme event, but if you don't plan for the extreme, you shouldn't be out there.. Agreed you can take an insurance company to court, but in the meantime, what are you gonna go ribbing on??

It's an example, if you have written proof, then as I said, no probs.. If you don't have written proof, don't expect your insurance broker to come running upto you with a cheques to cover everything..

Fairly sure we have insurance brokers who post here, mebbe they would like to say whether or not they would pay out if the policy holder hadn't asked before hand..

Des.. How do you know it isn't Ralph Lauren?? Don't forget your gonna be out there with the Worlds Navy, and mebbe QHM will want his boys looking the db's..
Old 22 March 2005, 10:10   #31

Quote:
mebbe QHM will want his boys looking the db's..
S'OK, wev'e got a new QHM now.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:18   #32

Quote:
Des.. How do you know it isn't Ralph Lauren?? Don't forget your gonna be out there with the Worlds Navy, and mebbe QHM will want his boys looking the db's..
How do you think a Ralph Lauren will stand up to salt stains Des
Old 22 March 2005, 10:18   #33

Dunno.. Mebbe I should have posted more smilies to show it was a joke..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
S'OK, wev'e got a new QHM now.
yeah... It might have been pink Ralph Lauren...
Old 22 March 2005, 10:21   #34

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
How is that scenario gonna happen??? Its a complete extreme event. If your a competent driver you`ll have a crew looking out behind you and you should be able to get out of the way with plenty of time! CJL
The events that Andy has described also occured during the whitbread 93/94 round the world race. Absolute chaos with 5000 boats and skippers all thinking they had right of way. Yachts at anchor in the tide, gin palaces charging around at 20 knots, grandad in his wooden yacht doing 3 knots, charter boats with press on board fighting for the best position all trying to be controlled by a dozen RM rigid raiders with blue lights crewed by Police. And through the middle of this lot sailed 12 round the world yachts doing nearly 20 knots we only stayed 10 minutes before deciding the risk of being run down was too great.

Perhaps because the fleet review is a static event and QHM is using 100+ boats to police it and tidal movement is small then it will be safer than previous large events.

Peter
Old 22 March 2005, 10:46   #35
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
I've attended similarly large scale events and just said to everybody please keep an eye out for approaching boats.

Lets not over egg this one. It should be a very good, enjoyable day out with hopefully no incidents!

CJL
Old 22 March 2005, 10:47   #36

If your insured, and your insurance company knows.. It is simple.. Have lots of fun.. But, (to keep harping on about summat.. ), If any of the Marshall's haven't told their insurance company, and have an accident, and if it's their fault, and it's them running into me.. Then I am the one who is gonna be furious..

Hopefully QHM will ensure all boats are adequately insured.. etc..
Old 22 March 2005, 10:55   #37

btw, will rib's flying a RIBnet pennant be allowed a little closer than the other plebs??
Old 22 March 2005, 11:12   #38

Only if money changes hands.

I shouldn't have said that should I.
Old 22 March 2005, 11:13   #39

Not out aloud...
Old 22 March 2005, 11:59   #40

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
btw, will rib's flying a RIBnet pennant be allowed a little closer than the other plebs??
NO.....

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote