Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 March 2017, 00:57   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Fitting Rowlocks to a Valiant Rib

On the last 2 outings the outboard on my 3.4 m Valiant rib has conked out. I only have a paddle and this is not much good in the tide. The valiant does not have Rowlocks. Has anyone fitted Rowlocks to a Valiant Rib and if so any links etc would be helpful

Dennis
__________________

__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 02:38   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,542
If I'm right in remembering the last time I was close to a Valiant like yours the grab line is to the outside of the top centre line of the tube so the area where a rowlock pad needs to go is free. Assuming the Valiant is PVC there are a whole selection of arrangements you could fit. Glueing on a new part to a clean section of PVC is easy, as long as you keep it all tidy it will look OE.

When you have the parts just sit where suits best in a facing transom position and fix where the oars work out the best position to use.

Choice of glue on pads here... Rowlock Pads - PVC Boat Spares

Rowlocks here... Rowlocks - Oars, Paddles, Rowlocks

Oars here... Aluminium & Wooden Oars - Oars, Paddles, Rowlocks

Probably the most in keeping look for your RIB and one where you are saved needing a separate rowlock is the Honwave style pad and oar.

PVC Rowlock with Pin Grey Honwave, QS, Wetline & XM & Alu Oars Including Hole Jointed Grey (Pair)

Not saying these guys are the cheapest but just a good selection to link to.
__________________

__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 02:40   #3
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,929
RIBase
If your engine has let you down twice, then there's an underlying problem that needs sorted. Yes you can row, but rowing a rib, in anything but calm waters without tidal currents can be hard going.

Forget any of the Zodiac type row locks, they'll simply disintegrate one you put your back into it. Avon molded nylon rowlocks can take some severe punishment. Rubber Avon Rowlock Block 380mm x140mm Grey

As far as I know Valiant boats are PU (polyurethane), so you'll need the right glue to fit this accessory and preparation on the boat material including sand rowlock area, degrease, mask off, etc. Heat and humidity are key too if fitting - so read instructions.

My advice - get that engine sorted or replace it!
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 03:01   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,542
>>>My advice - get that engine sorted or replace it!

Yes that was my first thought... see BPs engine issue thread.

In a single engine smallcraft I'd not give an unreliable engine a second chance. In all my time boating I've only had OBs stop twice and both times it was crew sitting/treading on fuel lines. Easily resolved but the moment the OB died both times it really concentrates the mind at sea.
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 04:54   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
If your engine has let you down twice, then there's an underlying problem that needs sorted. Yes you can row, but rowing a rib, in anything but calm waters without tidal currents can be hard going.

Forget any of the Zodiac type row locks, they'll simply disintegrate one you put your back into it. Avon molded nylon rowlocks can take some severe punishment. Rubber Avon Rowlock Block 380mm x140mm Grey

As far as I know Valiant boats are PU (polyurethane), so you'll need the right glue to fit this accessory and preparation on the boat material including sand rowlock area, degrease, mask off, etc. Heat and humidity are key too if fitting - so read instructions.

My advice - get that engine sorted or replace it!
I am indeed getting the engine sorted. The rowlocks are a back up. I don't think ditching a £2300 engine just because you have an issue for the first time is the answer. Things like this can happen with brand new kit.

Thanks for the Rowlocks advice

Dennis
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 12:18   #6
Member
 
chipko's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/T38/340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Things like this can happen with brand new kit.

Oh no they don't. Well at least they shouldn't.
Good luck with rowing in less than ideal conditions.
__________________
chipko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 12:27   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Oh no they don't. Well at least they shouldn't.
Good luck with rowing in less than ideal conditions.
So am I to assume that if you get a problem with an engine and it conks out your solution is just to dump it and buy a new one. I am afraid many people don't have that sort of budget and also prefer to work through an issue till it is sorted.

On the argument about new things how do you explain the many recalls that happen
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 13:15   #8
Member
 
chipko's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/T38/340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
So am I to assume that if you get a problem with an engine and it conks out your solution is just to dump it and buy a new one. I am afraid many people don't have that sort of budget and also prefer to work through an issue till it is sorted.

So you have a brand new motor and it's broken down both times you've been out! Well that's appalling, hope you get it sorted.
Where you get the idea that my solution is to dump it and buy another one is absurd. My comment only referred to the difficulty in rowing a rib in an emergency, and not rely on this to get you out of trouble. Most ribs and some sibs don't have rowlocks as they are too wide and high out of the water to effectively row. Hence a couple of paddles.
Don't rely on either in an emergency. Depending where you boat consider carrying on board a vhf, anchor, sea anchor and even an aux motor if venturing far.
__________________
chipko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 13:17   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 11,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
On the last 2 outings...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
...just because you have an issue for the first time is the answer.
I wouldn't be dumping it either, and even new engines can have dodgy fuel or primer bulbs that would clearly be crazy to bin an engine for.

Rowing a rib is hard (and inefficient). Given the cost of rowlocks, proper glue, and oars I'd be looking at cheap 2hp o/boards.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 14:49   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 15Hp 2-stroke
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,542
>>>So you have a brand new motor

I think it just sounds like BP's engine is new from some of the ways he's phrased his comments... I'm sure I remember its 10yrs old???
__________________
Fenlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 14:50   #11
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,929
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
My advice - get that engine sorted or replace it!
Everyone calm down. It's called banter!

Seems Dennis is very much hands-on and has probably sorted this.
__________________
Is that with or without VAT?
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 15:00   #12
Member
 
chipko's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up North and right a bit
Make: XS500/T38/340/Bic245
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mar 60/20/3.5/Hon2.3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I think it just sounds like BP's engine is new from some of the ways he's phrased his comments... I'm sure I remember its 10yrs old???

Ha! Your quite right, just looked at the other threads.
Foolishly reading things like 'brand new', Mariner 15 hp and £2300 I just wrongly assumed it was branding spanking new. Gosh silly me.
__________________
chipko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 15:29   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I wouldn't be dumping it either, and even new engines can have dodgy fuel or primer bulbs that would clearly be crazy to bin an engine for.

Rowing a rib is hard (and inefficient). Given the cost of rowlocks, proper glue, and oars I'd be looking at cheap 2hp o/boards.
I have a 3 hp 2 stroke as well but I will struggle to fit that on one side. I am going to cogel something up to see if I can do it while I test the 15 hp.

The rowlocks I can do for about £25 and where I boat I row a similar size sib with no problem. I already have 2 sets of the light weight oars

Dennis
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 15:35   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipko View Post
Ha! Your quite right, just looked at the other threads.
Foolishly reading things like 'brand new', Mariner 15 hp and £2300 I just wrongly assumed it was branding spanking new. Gosh silly me.
£2300 is the cost of replacing my engine with a new one. My engine is indeed about 10 years old but has done hardly any hours.

I also have 2 Number 115 HP Mercurys that are over 22 years old but also have done less than 200 hrs.

My point is I don't believe in the throw away society and also now that I am not working I like to fix things rather than just throw money at a problem. Believe me when you do fix it you get immense satisfaction.

On Monday I got my fathers very old chain saw to run like it was new. That pleased me no end.

Each to there own.
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 15:38   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
This thread has drifted more than I did when I conked out.
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 15:45   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
These are the sort I think I will fit. Surprisingly my local boat shop said these were £8.75 plus VAT each

INFLATABLE BOAT OARLOCK ROWLOCK DINGHY TENDER FITS EUROPA, HONWAVE | eBay
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2017, 14:32   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,119
RIBase
Denis if you have a aux engine but doesn't fit the transom why not spend your dosh on making an out rigger bracket like they use on Canadian canoes for a get you home/ out of bother solution
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2017, 04:13   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
The Rowlocks are very cheap and Oars have other good uses like when approaching a slip way or in a marina etc. I am also going to try an rig a bracket for the Aux but only so that I have a back up while I test my engine that I hope I have now fixed


Dennis
__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2017, 04:32   #19
Member
 
The Gurnard's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,340
Not sure what your valiant rib is like Bigplums ..but I was going to fit row locks to my Quicksilver as.. like you.. I find being up the creek with a paddle as much use as without one.

Then I decided to do it the easy way as I donít row it that often. The cost is approx 30 pence for a couple of feet of rope and it makes great temporary rowlocks. They are usefull for getting off shore when there are kids playing / swimming near the boat..or seaweed floating for the first 20 yards or so.

I have an aux too for emergency use.


__________________
The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2017, 04:44   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Not sure what your valiant rib is like Bigplums ..but I was going to fit row locks to my Quicksilver as.. like you.. I find being up the creek with a paddle as much use as without one.

Then I decided to do it the easy way as I donít row it that often. The cost is approx 30 pence for a couple of feet of rope and it makes great temporary rowlocks. They are usefull for getting off shore when there are kids playing / swimming near the boat..or seaweed floating for the first 20 yards or so.

I have an aux too for emergency use.


That is an excellent solution. On the Valiant the ropes etc are quite a bit lower down so I think would be an issue. Either way Oars are a good thing to have on a small boat

Dennis
__________________

__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rib

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.