Old 10 May 2012, 13:31   #1

Town: nr Truro
Boat name: Cub
Make: Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: OB 90
Fitting a jockey seat

My Osprey Sparrowhawk has a one man console and I want to fit a jockey seat behind it.

I've bought a moulding on ebay that is juts right, but am wondering how best to fix it in.

Option A - Glass it in permanently - my concern on this is the permanence as I find it quite useful to use my rib to transport large stuff around

Option B - Use self tappers into the deck - my concern is that the hull is sealed and this would breach that, potentially leading to leaks even if I use sikaflex (or similar). Am also a bit concerned at the strength - was thinking of doing one self-tapper every 2 inches.

Option C - glass in some sort of rebate for one side of the base flange to slide under, then glass in a couple of nuts to take bolts for the other side.

Thoughts?
CrackyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2012, 20:46   #2

Length: 6m +
Glass over a 3/4" peice of marine ply, bond it in and then self tapper into that
Old 11 May 2012, 08:06   #3

Town: Goudswaard
Boat name: mr D
Make: Deltapower
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha f300 BETU
RIBase
hi Chris

If you worry about the working space, how about you mount some stainless steel L profiles in the footprint of the jockeyseat to the hull rather permanently and then attach the jockey/moulding to the 'standing' part of the L profile by means of boults and nuts. you will see some visible screws in the side of the 2nd jockey and I am not sure if looks are important... if you're interested in pictures I can provide...

For sure it will - in my opinion - reduce the potential risk of crew + jockeyseat going over the side : i had a fair share of unvoluntarily detached stapled-in jockeys on boats and i am not a fan (however i'm 16+ stone'erish)