Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
Yep - agree. However my 7 yr old lad wants a go after his windsurfing session :-)

Might be worth calling in Sainsbury's on your way down & secreting a couple about your person in case you blank, don't want to put the little mite off too soon[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 20:05   #22

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew4 View Post
....For me, its simply something to do with my son when its not windy, and try and catch some dinner.

Aye! That's how it starts[emoji57] Once you've tasted fresh fish caught by your own hand, you'll understand [emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 21:21   #23

Town: Perth
Make: Funyak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 20 twatsu
"can't get over folks that fish for pleasure and worse, those that fish to just throw it back in; let alone calling it a sport" That'll be me damned each and every way then! For the past 50 years I've fished - for pleasure, for science and conservation (we got several species of critically endangered fish off the menu last year...) and for the pot (nothing like a fresh mackie grilled over an open fire on the beach).... But hey, each to his (or her) own!
Old 30 March 2017, 21:50   #24

Town: North East
Make: mercury quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: Johnson 25hp 2T
If your close to a (go outdoors) shop have a pop in should get a couple cheap rods&bits in there
Old 31 March 2017, 19:59   #25

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
I prefer a shorter rod on a small boat something around the 6-7' mark. Much easier to handle & store in tight conditions. Also a longer rod can make landing more difficult & unstable imo, my rods are 7'. Too short & you struggle to get the fish clear of the water for landing, we don't use a net, bring em in & in-hook em into a bucket. A rod holder on the A frame is a big help.
Top tip, keep a soft scrubbing brush on the boat & clean off any blood & sh1t immediately, once it dries it's a b******d to get off.

^^^^^This. Pay particular note to the cleaning stuff off! (A car sponge on a length of line/string is also very good)

Baitwise I switched to redgills in their various forms some years ago & fished on the drop-to-the-bottom-reel-up-20-turns-drop-to-the-bottom-&-repeat I've done a lot better with bass & bigger pollack than using fresh bait such as mackerel strip.
Rig Details for bass fishing
Feathers fished the same way will also catch pretty much anything & a full house of mackerel is entertaining to say the least.

I use 12' carp rods with fixed spool reels loaded with braid for plugging for bass. And trout flyrods with self-tied flies when the conditions are right ( I trout fish so have the kit anyway & the same kit with big flies is also effective on Rutland Water's pike) I find the closer in the better & when I say to the boys 'make this your last cast' I mean exactly that as if they fish out another one we'll be sat on the beach/rocks in the boat!

You could do a lot worse than watch 'Totally Awesome Fishing' on youtube.
Old 31 March 2017, 21:04   #26

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Bill View Post
"can't get over folks that fish for pleasure and worse, those that fish to just throw it back in; let alone calling it a sport" That'll be me damned each and every way then! For the past 50 years I've fished - for pleasure, for science and conservation (we got several species of critically endangered fish off the menu last year...) and for the pot (nothing like a fresh mackie grilled over an open fire on the beach).... But hey, each to his (or her) own!

Somthing with Fun Yacker's?

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2017, 18:49   #27

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
There is a wreck on the Northern Edge of the shipping channel between Hayling and Chi harbour entrances. Used to be 4 cardinal marks but thin that was reduced to 3 and possibly all now removed. Drift over the top with some strips of mackerel in the summer. Or at night for the big Conger

If that isn't exciting enough the wreck just to the East of one of the Princilla Sholes cardinals is a small wreck, actually half a wreck, the other half is on an IOW beach. Again home to a huge conger. That saying "You are going to need a bigger boat" would not be out of place if you hook this one.

Tight lines

Pete
Old 01 April 2017, 20:20   #28

Town: Salcombe
Boat name: The Black Pig
Make: Ranieri
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60c hp tohatsu
MMSI: 235038018
Send a message via AIM to The Black Pig
"Ordered a book off Amazon...arrives tomorrow."

I have this book and can recommend it, also good recipes for your catch as well as some others where you will need a trip to the fishmongers

Tags
rib