Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Fishes from the rib

What species are those Jon? The last one looks like a huge mackerel. Is the 2nd one a tuna?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2017, 08:20   #3

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
What species are those Jon? The last one looks like a huge mackerel. Is the 2nd one a tuna?
Basically it IS Mate
Tuna and Dorrado...knowing how the Aussies name thier fish it's probably a Yellow Finned and Gobbed Bass!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 March 2017, 11:01   #4

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Quote:

The first is a trag followed by a small yellowfin tuna, dolphin fish (mahi mahi, dorado) and the last is a mackerel tuna just like the ones I used to catch back home on the IOW with my feathers!!!!

Jon
Old 07 March 2017, 11:04   #5

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
The first is a trag followed by a small yellowfin tuna, dolphin fish (mahi mahi, dorado) and the last is a mackerel tuna just like the ones I used to catch back home on the IOW with my feathers!!!!

Jon

[emoji106]nice fish. What's the score with Tuna? I was once told that you were supposed to bleed them like you would a warm blooded animal, to stop the blood from spoiling the meat. Or do you just treat them like any other fish?
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 07 March 2017, 13:25   #6

Quote:
[emoji106]nice fish. What's the score with Tuna? I was once told that you were supposed to bleed them like you would a warm blooded animal, to stop the blood from spoiling the meat. Or do you just treat them like any other fish?
Talking of Tuna plenty of BIIGGG Blues (running to several hundred pounds!)around the Hayle area in Cornwall for most of the year at the mo
A Good friend of mine caught one recently...I'll get some pics!

Old 07 March 2017, 13:32   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Talking of Tuna plenty of BIIGGG Blues around the Hayle area for most of the year at the mo

A Good friend of mine caught one recently...I'll try and get some pics!

You don't think of UK waters as being Tuna fisheries. The Yorkshire coast used to be a big game fishery until the mid-fifties. Scarborough has the "Tunny Club" many film stars of the era used to visit between filming & be taken 30-60 miles off shore to fish for Tuna. Douglas Fairbanks, John Wayne, Errol Flynn etc. were all regulars. Apparently the odd Tuna is still caught & there's talk of a comeback.
Old 07 March 2017, 13:40   #8

Quote:
You don't think of UK waters as being Tuna fisheries. The Yorkshire coast used to be a big game fishery until the mid-fifties. Scarborough has the "Tunny Club" many film stars of the era used to visit between filming & be taken 30-60 miles off shore to fish for Tuna. Douglas Fairbanks, John Wayne, Errol Flynn etc. were all regulars. Apparently the odd Tuna is still caught & there's talk of a comeback.
Oh yeah!...and they're still out there and also in Irish waters!..
.Some great vids on You Tube of the Old Timers getting towed around in their Clinker Built Boats...useing Green Heart Rods and Cutty lines...Tunny Club record,as so often with others..held by a Woman!

Old 07 March 2017, 14:01   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Seen trigger fish off st Ives whilst diving.
Old 07 March 2017, 15:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
Seen trigger fish off st Ives whilst diving.
You can catch em every year off the Chesil during High summer...IF you can cast to the Sunken Tanks ...and Porlock Bay is pretty good too.Just don't use Fine wire hooks...they can bite through em!.. and mind the Spine!
Very Good eating too

Old 07 March 2017, 17:14   #11

Town: Alaska
Boat name: Zodiac Hurricane 733
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp - Volvo Diesel
Thanks for sharing, looks like you had a good day out there. I cant wait for this summers fishing.
Old 07 March 2017, 18:29   #12

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Engine: suzuki70 df
Lovely catches. What method?
Old 07 March 2017, 20:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Lovely catches. What method?
These are small tuna compared to how big we catch them through the winter months.

They are feeding on tiny 3-4cm dense schools of bait, so matching the lure size means dropping down to 5g lures which are flicked using light spin outfits rigged with 10lb mono and braid. Reels are mostly small Shimano c4 Stradic, later in the year when we target the much bigger bluefin and yellowfin we will be using spin outfits from 30-50lb class.
Old 07 March 2017, 20:22   #14

Quote:
Yes mate tuna need bleeding either from a deep cut across the lateral line behind the pectoral fin or by taking a chunk out of the head then inserting a wire up into the centre core.

All fish we catch need to instantly get placed into an ice slurry or the heat will make them inedible, hence the big ice box seats most of us carry.
Old 08 March 2017, 03:49   #15

Quote:
These are small tuna compared to how big we catch them through the winter months.

They are feeding on tiny 3-4cm dense schools of bait, so matching the lure size means dropping down to 5g lures which are flicked using light spin outfits rigged with 10lb mono and braid. Reels are mostly small Shimano c4 Stradic, later in the year when we target the much bigger bluefin and yellowfin we will be using spin outfits from 30-50lb class.
10 libra mono! Thats challenging!!!
Old 08 March 2017, 12:44   #16

Boat name: Bluefin
Engine: 150hp
MMSI: Ex Directory
Quote:

This year will be interesting ............... last year there were 7 documented 'BlueFin' caught off our coast (Cornwall & Devon) with the biggest going at about 300lb............ also a good number of Albacore (bonito) were seen with only a couple being caught. These will chase the mackerel shoals and come in very close to the shreline.

Back in 2012 I was 'spooled' by a fish that would not stop ........ 400m of 50lb Mono ........... that was 12m out in Lyme bay whilst shark fishing.
Old 08 March 2017, 20:35   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpsguru View Post
This year will be interesting ............... last year there were 7 documented 'BlueFin' caught off our coast (Cornwall & Devon) with the biggest going at about 300lb............ also a good number of Albacore (bonito) were seen with only a couple being caught. These will chase the mackerel shoals and come in very close to the shreline.

Back in 2012 I was 'spooled' by a fish that would not stop ........ 400m of 50lb Mono ........... that was 12m out in Lyme bay whilst shark fishing.
We target big bluefin, broadbill and Marlin often in 4000m of water often on spin gear and have yet to get anywhere near being spooled. Surely you have an anchor float setup so you can simply toss the anchor line over the side and chase the fish with the boat. I would hate leaving any fish trailing 400m of line, the drag factor on that amount of line may be the end of that fish. Just try freespooling 400m of line out the back of the boat while it's underway at 20knots and once the line gets algae growth after a couple of days the drag factor increases.

We often kill fish while spearfishing that are trailing line as they are often in poor shape.
Old 09 March 2017, 02:27   #18

Doesnot A frame in your boat interfere with fight with crazy unpredictable fish ? such as little tunny that makes a lot of side movements and your line can get interfered by the frame.
I am ordering T top instead and this is one of the reasons..
I also understand you get you big fish on deep water by spinning. Using which lures? Cast master metal types or poppers or what?
Do you cast sporadically or by "water boiling" signs where there is feeding frenzy and casting into it?
Old 09 March 2017, 06:09   #19

UO
Quote:
We target big bluefin, broadbill and Marlin often in 4000m of water often on spin gear and have yet to get anywhere near being spooled. Surely you have an anchor float setup so you can simply toss the anchor line over the side and chase the fish with the boat. I would hate leaving any fish trailing 400m of line, the drag factor on that amount of line may be the end of that fish. Just try freespooling 400m of line out the back of the boat while it's underway at 20knots and once the line gets algae growth after a couple of days the drag factor increases.

We often kill fish while spearfishing that are trailing line as they are often in poor shape.
Regrettable as it may be...it's still such an extremely rare occurrence in UK waters to hook a Giant Palagic or be spooled by anything!!...
Add to that the fact the average Charter Boat Skipper has absolutely no knowledge of how to fight a Game Fish with the Boat because... he's NEVER done it ...and that the Boats were certainly not designed with that purpose in mind
In the circumstances (sadly) it's very hard to imagine any other outcome.
However If trends continue,things may well change!

As a footnote I know when I fished the Gulf Coast off Texas the use of Stainless Hooks was banned,the thinking was an ordinary Carbon Steel hook would soon rust and fall out...if you did have a tackle failure or loose any Terminal tackle

Old 09 March 2017, 10:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
Doesnot A frame in your boat interfere with fight with crazy unpredictable fish ? such as little tunny that makes a lot of side movements and your line can get interfered by the frame.
I am ordering T top instead and this is one of the reasons..
I also understand you get you big fish on deep water by spinning. Using which lures? Cast master metal types or poppers or what?
Do you cast sporadically or by "water boiling" signs where there is feeding frenzy and casting into it?
These fish are juveniles and 1050 km north of where I live, the fish in my area tend to be much bigger but in less numbers. These smaller fish smash the surface pushing bait where the birds often give the game away on the location (just like mackerel back home). Any lure will work on these smaller fish.
Hi

Back in my area the bigger fish are often down deeper where the sounder is used to find most fish, the water is also about 5'c cooler in my area. Rapala X-raps with single hooks are a good general lure but all sorts work from skited to feather types. Jigs are also very popular from 100g to 2 kg, though I draw the line at 1kg jigs, pulling these up 500m is a killer.

I have no problems with the A frame, most of the time I leave the fish to the kids as I manover the boat. It's pretty easy fighting fish single handed if I stay next to the console where I can quickly manover the boat. A good tip is to trim up the engine a little as you hook something like a black Marlin, that way if you need to hit reverse in full lock the angle of the engine lifts the stern rather than digging in taking water over the back.

I used to live on the Isle Of Wight where I chased game from the age of 12, I've had multiple threshers and porbeagles in one day from my own small boats. These days I prefer to try and film the bigger species rather than catch them, my daughter is putting a video together from this trip which is looking pretty good so far.

Tags
rib