Old 09 March 2017, 20:20   #22

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Jon, do you eat everything you catch?
Yes and no some species aren't that good for eating but make good bait.

As for the edible fish, this particular trip was to bring home edible fish which we vacuum pack and freeze. We had constant hookups on yellowfin tuna which were mainly released but three got damaged by hooks so were kept. We stopped trolling lures simply because we didn't want to harm small tuna when chassing wahoo.

By changing tactics to spearing the kids are able to select exactly the species and size we want.

My daughter competes in triathlons and ranks quite high so feeding her enough food for the amount of training she does is a challenge, the amount of fish we used to eat as a family of five she now eats in one meal. Dolphin fish aren't normally common in my area but are an incredibly sustainable fish, so we kept a few of these for the leaner months. My daughter eats fish or lobster almost every day of the week.
Old 10 March 2017, 20:21   #23

Town: Iksal village
Boat name: C-Scanner
Make: rib520
Length: 5m +
Engine: suzuki70 df
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonp View Post
These fish are juveniles and 1050 km north of where I live, the fish in my area tend to be much bigger but in less numbers. These smaller fish smash the surface pushing bait where the birds often give the game away on the location (just like mackerel back home). Any lure will work on these smaller fish.
Hi

Back in my area the bigger fish are often down deeper where the sounder is used to find most fish, the water is also about 5'c cooler in my area. Rapala X-raps with single hooks are a good general lure but all sorts work from skited to feather types. Jigs are also very popular from 100g to 2 kg, though I draw the line at 1kg jigs, pulling these up 500m is a killer.

I have no problems with the A frame, most of the time I leave the fish to the kids as I manover the boat. It's pretty easy fighting fish single handed if I stay next to the console where I can quickly manover the boat. A good tip is to trim up the engine a little as you hook something like a black Marlin, that way if you need to hit reverse in full lock the angle of the engine lifts the stern rather than digging in taking water over the back.

I used to live on the Isle Of Wight where I chased game from the age of 12, I've had multiple threshers and porbeagles in one day from my own small boats. These days I prefer to try and film the bigger species rather than catch them, my daughter is putting a video together from this trip which is looking pretty good so far.
Many thanks for you info. Loved the trimming idea incase for reverse!!

Good luck to your daughter with her film!

Tags
rib