Old 02 May 2017, 02:28   #1

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Fish of a lifetime

Ok there's one fish Ive mentioned as being my favourite all time scrapper, the yellowtail kingfish. These things pull harder than any other fish Ive ever caught and never give up, they also don't suffer the effects of pressure change so can fight deep or shallow continuously.

These are tough what ever way you catch, so having caught plenty on rod and line my daughter was keen to try for a big one free-diving (breath hold). These fish are tough to stop with the 20kg being the ultimate target among the spearfishing community. These things when speared drag divers down to what ever depth they can, they also swim fast around divers often entangling divers ending not so good.

So with a new sponsor and a challenge in my 16 yr olds mind off we headed towing the boat 200km south in search of the big guys. First day she saw a few but didn't manage to get within range, she also got chased to the boat by a large shark 4-5m long. After 6hrs in the water and another 2hr drive home we headed home with our tails between our legs.

That evening we made the decision to head south again rather than target the smaller ones in our local area.

Day two was looking like things weren't going to go our way again after 5hrs in the water (which has cooled down a fair bit now heading into winter). Small legal sized kingfish taunted her swimming just in front of her but once again the only big fish stayed out of range.

With only around 1 hr of daylight left I called her to the boat to offer her a quick try where we had seen the big shark the day before (I dont mind sharks when Im in the water to spot her but on her own not so keen). We pull up just as a huge swirl on the surface attracts lots of birds to pick on scraps (hopefully fish not shark).

Over the side she heads only to see a school of bumper kingfish. First drop down and she takes her first shot for the weekend and the joy screams start. Next thing I see is her being dragged through her float line getting a bit tangled before disappearing under, I quickly move the boat in to clear the lines to give her more freedom to fight.

For about 15 mins she gets dragged down but all the time trying not to let the fish get among the reef. A few times the fish wraps the heavy spear mono around and drags her down which she calmly sorts out while underwater (if all goes wrong she can cut her way out). Eventually she makes her first grab of the fish that shakes her about and manages to get free from her grasps, this happens several times before she gets it into a bare hug with its head up next to hers.

The screams of joy and disbelief once again start up once I have my arm up through its gills and haul it to the boat. Being a low sided rib I lay on the thrashing fish as my daughter tied a rope down through its mouth incase it flipped overboard. We got the bugger, a fish that few even extremely hardened spear-fishermen have have landed, a true fish of a lifetime (or next time ).

One very tired girl.

Old 02 May 2017, 10:47   #2

Length: 7m +
Wow, She must be one tough cookie, brilliant, you both must be so proud.
Old 02 May 2017, 10:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixpete View Post
Wow, She must be one tough cookie, brilliant, you both must be so proud.
She is pretty tough but still a big softy, she won her age class in her last two triathlons.
Old 02 May 2017, 11:13   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Now THAT is a nice fish, kudos[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 May 2017, 11:34   #5

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
that will need a jumbo size frying pan for that do have a large freezer or does it get split up to feed the village
Old 02 May 2017, 11:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezeblock View Post
that will need a jumbo size frying pan for that do have a large freezer or does it get split up to feed the village
None will get frozen, infact its mostly gone already with some given to the neighbours and the amount my daughter eats. She loves giving fish and lobsters to old people who give back stories of the old days of fishing.
Old 02 May 2017, 12:09   #7

Town: WARSAW
Boat name: T1
Make: HIGHFIELD OM540DL
Engine: EVINRUDE 115 HO
MMSI: 261026640
Something like LIKE from FB be very useful
Fantastic way to spending free time.
Sometimes I'm sorry I didn't move to Austraila.

In Greece swimming/snorkel is fun (@Jeff dive) but fishing results are not so good in summer time.
Old 02 May 2017, 19:59   #8

Town: Fort William
Make: Ribcraft 585
Engine: Yamaha F115
RIBase
What a fish!
Old 02 May 2017, 20:53   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Amazing.

Makes my line caught pollock (biggest fish ever) look positively minuscule now.
Old 02 May 2017, 21:27   #10

Town: Cowdenbeath
Make: Honwave
Length: 3m +
Wow, Amazing catch.
i just hope she doesnt spend the rest of her life trying to beat that one, if she never does ? then the memory will be all the more amazing , and as fisher folk we all know it gets bigger and harder to land every time she tells the story
Old 02 May 2017, 21:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadam View Post
Wow, Amazing catch.
i just hope she doesnt spend the rest of her life trying to beat that one, if she never does ? then the memory will be all the more amazing , and as fisher folk we all know it gets bigger and harder to land every time she tells the story

I'm sure there will be bigger fish she catches as her skill in the sport has already gained her two sponsors in the short time she's been doing this. Her next spearfishing comp she will be fishing in a brand new boat launched on the day that does over 70 mph by one of Australia's leading comercial boatbuilders.

The difference with this species is they are particularly tough, the toughest fish I've ever targeted on rod and line anywhere in the world. Marlin, tuna and sharks may have size on their side but these are the ultimate in tough dirty fighters. Targeting tuna and marlin are more a case of shooting a fish in deep water and letting the floats do the work. If you take a look at this link you will see why these are one of our favorate species to target Go Deep for Big Kings: Downrigging - Fishing World