Old 21 June 2007, 02:00   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Kaybe
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha Wake Sport 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Gavin F
First time out!

Right then! The RYA Powerboat 2 course is complete and I'm eager to get out there and enjoy apart from a couple of things are on my mind and that's what i would like help with, sure someone can advise on this. The next time I go out it will be my first time launching, cruising and then retrieving and wondered if anyone could advise of a good, open, etc place to do this in and around the Portsmouth area? I will have someone with me to assist but want to know where's good to go and play and get used to the boat, etc? I haven't got the VHF sorted as yet so don't really want to be ploughing through Portsmouth Harbour as i've been advised I might get shot if I'm in the woring channel! I'm sure this sounds silly to most of you but thought i'd air my views as we all had to start somewhere right? Your help on this one would be appreciated.
Old 21 June 2007, 09:36   #2

Town: Midlands
Make: Nautique
Length: 6m +
Engine: PCM 5.7l
Camber dock is almost certainly the best slipway around there. Its quite close to the Harbour exit too.
When you leave the slipway, head out into the harbour, make sure there are no ferry's passing and then head straight across the harbour to the small boat channel on the other side, when you get to the Ballast Buoy turn and head out to sea.

http://www.qhmportsmouth.com/index.p...ous=27&art=315

Its not necessary to ask permission on the VHF anymore. Unless that was just a trial or something?
H
Old 21 June 2007, 09:46   #3

Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin F View Post
Right then! The RYA Powerboat 2 course is complete and I'm eager to get out there and enjoy apart from a couple of things are on my mind and that's what i would like help with, sure someone can advise on this. The next time I go out it will be my first time launching, cruising and then retrieving and wondered if anyone could advise of a good, open, etc place to do this in and around the Portsmouth area? I will have someone with me to assist but want to know where's good to go and play and get used to the boat, etc? I haven't got the VHF sorted as yet so don't really want to be ploughing through Portsmouth Harbour as i've been advised I might get shot if I'm in the woring channel! I'm sure this sounds silly to most of you but thought i'd air my views as we all had to start somewhere right? Your help on this one would be appreciated.
Doesn't sound silly to me. As our first launch and retrieval approaches on Monday - I am nervous as hell. I wouldn't mind as much if it were in Chichester Harbour as I know it pretty well and how the tide works. But we are doing this at Portland so that we can get the trailer up to the garage. I'm sure it will be fine but there has be a starting point.

So - if you are in the portland/weymouth area on Monday - be warned!
Old 21 June 2007, 11:13   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Just remember if it's a roller trailer don't make the common mistake of putting it into the water to deep - the boat shouldn't float on as the rollers won't do their job. You should be able to drive the boat onto the traier about 1/2 way and winch the rest.
Old 21 June 2007, 11:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Just remember if it's a roller trailer don't make the common mistake of putting it into the water to deep - the boat shouldn't float on as the rollers won't do their job. You should be able to drive the boat onto the traier about 1/2 way and winch the rest.
Thanks for this - the good news is that the boat will be launched by the boat yard - so we can only mess up the boat bit - they are experienced with the trailer. However, when we go for our first launch on the following weekend - I will bear in mind what you have said.
Old 21 June 2007, 11:46   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Gavin, if your not happy playing around in Portsmouth Harbour then Northney Marina at the top end of Hayling Island might be better. Two good slips and plenty of room for car and trailer. The trip down to Chi enterance will give you a chance to play with the boat.

Sarah, if your launching at the sailing accademy be aware the shorter slip has a gavel bank 10m off which you will certainly hit at low water. If you see the remains of a black prop its mine and could I have it back. If your launching at the Ferry Marina, that is also fraught will problems at low water and those seagulls are standing not swimming. At low water from the Ferry / causeway bridge (apart from a hole under the bridge) you can walk half way across Portland harbour. Suggest you take a pair of wellies and walk the boat out if its low water.

Pete
Old 21 June 2007, 12:30   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
yeah wellies?

Go the hole hog and buy yourself a pair of chest waders ( best bit of advice Pete 7 gave me) you can then frolic on the slipway without getting your acoutrements damp.

cheers

Rogue and Roguetta
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2007, 12:56   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Go the hole hog and buy yourself a pair of chest waders...
Agreed, essential gear and so fetching too. Mind you, I've not seen them in pink.
Old 21 June 2007, 12:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Gavin, if your not happy playing around in Portsmouth Harbour then Northney Marina at the top end of Hayling Island might be better. Two good slips and plenty of room for car and trailer. The trip down to Chi enterance will give you a chance to play with the boat.

Sarah, if your launching at the sailing accademy be aware the shorter slip has a gavel bank 10m off which you will certainly hit at low water. If you see the remains of a black prop its mine and could I have it back. If your launching at the Ferry Marina, that is also fraught will problems at low water and those seagulls are standing not swimming. At low water from the Ferry / causeway bridge (apart from a hole under the bridge) you can walk half way across Portland harbour. Suggest you take a pair of wellies and walk the boat out if its low water.

Pete
Thanks for this Pete. We are launching at Bluewater Horizons - what does that give us?
Old 21 June 2007, 12:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Agreed, essential gear and so fetching too. Mind you, I've not seen them in pink.
You probably havent looked in the right places ;o).
Old 21 June 2007, 13:01   #11

What about this option?

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/view/34...protective-aid

It is such a shame that it doesn't come in yellow!
Old 21 June 2007, 16:28   #12

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Hi Sarah,
Pete7 was talking about Blue waters when he said Ferry Marina, Blue Waters used to be called Ferry Bridge Boat Yard. Thus if you are going out on anything other than high tide trim up the engine, go dead slow watching out for the bottom, the channel is very narrow so remember to keep the leading marks lined up behind you (two trianges on the bridge) you will be safe once you reach the old light pole approx 150m out, do the same but in reverse on the way back. Oh & watch out as the tide is very-very strong at the bottom of there slipway when it is running. Good luck
Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2007, 16:34   #13

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Go the hole hog and buy yourself a pair of chest waders ( best bit of advice Pete 7 gave me) you can then frolic on the slipway without getting your acoutrements damp.

cheers

Rogue and Roguetta
is it possible to get chest waders in a 36D?
Old 21 June 2007, 18:50   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
is it possible to get chest waders in a 36D?
We managed to some 48FF for Rogue Wave. If your after pink ones give Dave Manning a ring,

Pete
Old 21 June 2007, 20:38   #15

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post

Its not necessary to ask permission on the VHF anymore. Unless that was just a trial or something?
H
The Local Notice quoted still seems to be current, which would imply that you do still need to call up the QHM on channel 11, though I stand to be corrected.

Another option would be Itchenor on the eastern side of Chichester harbour. Quite a bit of room for manouevring around - its a very shallow gravel beach more than a slip, which being a SIB owner I can't comment if that is a good thing or a bad thing - it does mean you can take your time and not worry about people getting impatient waiting for you to launch / recover.

It's a fair distance down to the open sea, but a nice area to explore and get used to the boat. However there is the Chichester bar to get past before you get out to sea, which might make Portsmouth's small boat channel an easier option.

Cheers

Chris
Old 21 June 2007, 21:59   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hi Sarah,
Pete7 was talking about Blue waters when he said Ferry Marina, Blue Waters used to be called Ferry Bridge Boat Yard. Thus if you are going out on anything other than high tide trim up the engine, go dead slow watching out for the bottom, the channel is very narrow so remember to keep the leading marks lined up behind you (two trianges on the bridge) you will be safe once you reach the old light pole approx 150m out, do the same but in reverse on the way back. Oh & watch out as the tide is very-very strong at the bottom of there slipway when it is running. Good luck
Mike.
Thanks for the tip - now I'm really nervous. It'll be fine - new mantra - It'll be fine - It'l be fine
Old 21 June 2007, 22:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We managed to some 48FF for Rogue Wave. If your after pink ones give Dave Manning a ring,

Pete
Really Nice look!
Old 22 June 2007, 00:49   #18

Hey guys, thanks for the responses, I'm sure it'll all be fine, I'm with Sarah on that one. I might have a look at Hayling Island Area given that I did my course at Sparks so do know that area and if I was allowed to go more than 4knots it really wouldn't b that bad to get out to see to play. Was thinking about going out tomorrow afternoon as weekend weather looks a bit nasty for the first time but we'll see. Would've joined in the thread earlier but been driving tanks all day in Oxford! The main thing I guess is that it's enjoyable as that's the reason I invested in the boat in the first place, just want to get the hang of the whole launch and retrieve thing and then navigating the harbout, etc - how hard can it be!?!?
Old 22 June 2007, 00:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons0 View Post
Camber dock is almost certainly the best slipway around there. Its quite close to the Harbour exit too.
When you leave the slipway, head out into the harbour, make sure there are no ferry's passing and then head straight across the harbour to the small boat channel on the other side, when you get to the Ballast Buoy turn and head out to sea.

H
That's great advice, thanks for the this.
Old 22 June 2007, 04:56   #20

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Langstoneharbour isn;t a bad plae actually. The slipway is good and there is a water ski area in the harbour. I don't know what the charges are but I am sure the harbourmaster will.

I take it you gave charts and a VHF
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote