Old 01 July 2011, 21:12   #1

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Puppy Bear
Make: Ring 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp
First Passage to the IOW - hints and tips sought

Hi,
We are new to powerboating and have completed our RYA Level 2 course.
We are based on the Hamble but haven't yet made it over to the IOW, as we are steadily increasing our confidence.
What are the conditions we should look for on our first voyage as we want to get there and back safely? Does anyone have any hints and tips please on dealing with this busy stretch of water apart from the obvious!?

Thanks.
Old 01 July 2011, 21:28   #2

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Firstly - well done on PB2...
Secondly - safety comes from planning - so make sure your boat kit is correct (lots of guidance on here on what to carry) - make sure that you have planned your passage before leaving - carry paper charts as well as any electronic toys...
Thirdly - find someone to go with the first time if you want confidence - it is purely psychological
Fourthly - enjoy it - if not abused the Solent is a great safe place to be - it is only dangerous for those who are reckless. I sailed across to the IOW as a teenager in Wayfarers - we were even out one year when chased away by a water spout & then sailed a few days later in winds gusting above force 8 - if prepared you will be safe...

Alasdair
Old 01 July 2011, 21:36   #3

Town: Hampshire
Boat name: Puppy Bear
Make: Ring 6.5
Engine: 140hp
Hi Alasdair,
Thanks for that. You are totally right it is a psychological thing. Been sailing for years on family boats, but never in charge of my own. Am now realising how much attention I haven't paid to all things nautical!

Have a good weekend.

Biz
Old 01 July 2011, 22:33   #4

Town: Fareham
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 175Hp
Once you've got the boat sorted make sure you've got a good forecast, its surprising how the weather changes on the water particularly if you have to turn round into the weather.

If your concerned about traffic crossing the solent head east of brambles and you'll stay clear of ferries etc and most bigger boats but either way is safe.
Old 01 July 2011, 23:50   #5

Town: Southampton
Make: Ballistic
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 225
you could hook up with one of us , im sure many people go across over a weekend.
Then you can cruise in company.
Old 02 July 2011, 00:42   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by akirk View Post
Thirdly - find someone to go with the first time if you want confidence - it is purely psychological
Unless something goes wrong. Having a second boat, power, and an additional brain all come in handy when trying to deal with a problem.

jky
Old 02 July 2011, 06:46   #7

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Bring your passports

Stay out of the main channels avoid the precautionary area if any thing 20m>
is in it .
Look out for the high speed ferries they like to pass close to you.
Check yer weather and tides prep the plan afore ye go .
East Cowes Marina for Lunch at the lifeboat on the terrace or follow the river up to the Folly for lunch on the terrace both nice places grubs good
as well.

Have a great time
Tim
Old 02 July 2011, 06:56   #8
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp plus
If you are planning going today- weather is great, low winds clear vis, and if you are about the Hamble, give me a shout, I will be at Hamble Point sorting a boat for a later run and have also another going over about 11am.
Numbers on webpage signature, give me a call if you want, happy to help. Ian

PS Tim said bring passport, yes but what about foreign currency!!!
Old 02 July 2011, 08:53   #9

Town: Fareham
Have you got a chartplotter and depthfinder? These are terrific pieces of kit that give loads of aid and confidence when out boating. Obviously these are Aids and should never replace your eyes and senses, but will give you information on areas that you can go in safety and areas you should keep clear of (Bramles Bank when setting a course for Cowes )

The other items you should have are lifejackets, VHF radio and Flares. You never know what's going to happen out there (I guess I'm teaching you to suck eggs but this needs to be said).

One other piece of kit which is handy is a Phone in a waterproof bag. Have the coastguards number programmed in. Seastart is also handy too!

What I'm reallly telling you is to cover all the bases, but experience is what you're after and will count most highly amongst essential items needed onboard

I haven't been to the Island this year, but many people do every weekend as suggested.

Perhaps you could start a "cruising buddies needed" thread in the RIB cruising section and see how you get on.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote