Click Here to Login

Old 05 November 2012, 21:16   #1

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
First launch of my new Ribtec

Having bought this back in Sept, has been on my driveway while I do a few jobs on it, and then away with Scott at RibRepair in Brockenhurst to have a few bits on the tubes fixed (rubbing strake and seam tape) and some additional wear patches added to the bow. Scott's work was absolutely first rate - to be highly recommended.

Saturday was my first launch, in Poole. Sadly in the afternoon, so had missed the best of the sunshine, and by 16:30 had turned positively windy - a good test for the boat, and of my recovery skills to get it back onto the trailer! Thankfully all worked perfectly...

My first time in quite a while driving a diesel/outdrive RIB. Does take some time for the turbo to kick in, but when it does, goes very nicely. Coming alongside for the first time was interesting - being quite large/heavy, takes much longer to respond than most other RIB's I've driven.

There were a few RIB's out on Saturday, might have been some of you guys?

Hopefully I'll be afloat more over Winter, based out of Poole, so might see some people out there!

Regards,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3983 copy.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	73901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3987 copy.JPG
Views:	414
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	73902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3991 copy.JPG
Views:	426
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	73903  
Old 05 November 2012, 23:27   #2

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Length: 7m +
Engine: outboards
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22
Having bought this back in Sept, has been on my driveway while I do a few jobs on it, and then away with Scott at RibRepair in Brockenhurst to have a few bits on the tubes fixed (rubbing strake and seam tape) and some additional wear patches added to the bow. Scott's work was absolutely first rate - to be highly recommended.

Saturday was my first launch, in Poole. Sadly in the afternoon, so had missed the best of the sunshine, and by 16:30 had turned positively windy - a good test for the boat, and of my recovery skills to get it back onto the trailer! Thankfully all worked perfectly...

My first time in quite a while driving a diesel/outdrive RIB. Does take some time for the turbo to kick in, but when it does, goes very nicely. Coming alongside for the first time was interesting - being quite large/heavy, takes much longer to respond than most other RIB's I've driven.

There were a few RIB's out on Saturday, might have been some of you guys?

Hopefully I'll be afloat more over Winter, based out of Poole, so might see some people out there!

Regards,

Paul
Good buy that boat does need new tubes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Rib.net
Old 06 November 2012, 07:55   #3

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Engine: Outboard
Hi Paul

Look forward to seeing you out and about in Poole. We will be using the Parker throughout the winter. Where are you launching from?

We are planning to partake in the Jolly to the Folly in December, so if you would like to cruise around in company, happy to meet up. I'm sure David in Avocet will join us too.

Regards
Steve
Old 06 November 2012, 08:57   #4
Trade member

Town: UK
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
She looks good
Old 06 November 2012, 09:34   #5

Does she need new tubes? I guess that depends on your requirements! I wanted a reasonable sized boat, mainly for winter use, that I wasn't scared to use, so didn't want anything pristine. The tubes held air perfectly when I bought the boat, but there was a 1' section of rubbing strake dangling off, and one seam tape that was worn and lifting. The only wear to the tubes is where previous owners have let lines rub over the fabric for extended periods, and worn away the fabric on very top of the tubes. The undersides and inner areas of the tubes are all perfect. So as far as I can see the main problem is that it looks a bit worse for wear, rather than anything structural!

Given the bow was the worst culprit, I decided to have RibRepair add some additional sections to that, whilst also fixing the rubbing strake/seam tape. Very happy with what's been done there. Maybe next year when the weather becomes more reliable again, then I might have a go at putting some additional wear patches on some of the rear sections - being flat surfaces I'm assuming that will be much easier than the curvy bow area! By doing this remedial work, I'm hoping the current tubes should keep going a few years, after which I can look at retubing. The RIB will be kept out of the water much of the year, and under a full cover, so I'm hoping that these bits of remedial work, and looking after it a bit better than some of the previous owners, will keep it going a bit longer!

Steve - excellent, would be good to see you out - I see the Sea Safari boats going all Summer when we're sailing! I'll be launching at Parkstone Yacht Club, hoping to use it a fair amount December -> March.

Sadly I'm already committed the weekend of the Folly trip. The slight problem with my masterplan to do lots of Winter RIBing in Poole is that as a voluntary Sea Cadet instructor, I run a Winter training programme over at one of our National Training Centres on the East Coast (TS Rebel Homepage), and a fair few of my weekends are taken up with that - one of them being the Folly weekend! But hopefully will manage to join in with other trips.
Old 06 November 2012, 09:55   #6
Trade member

Quote:
Does she need new tubes?
No; if your collar is holding air, the csm is not wearing through and you are happy with the aesthetics, then fine.

Could do with HypaTec protector though

Chris
Old 06 November 2012, 13:33   #7

Chris - an excellent reminder, had meant to order some at the weekend, having now done the tube repairs... Some Toobshine and Hypatec is now ordered from your site!
Old 06 November 2012, 14:04   #8
Trade member

Quote:
Chris - an excellent reminder, had meant to order some at the weekend, having now done the tube repairs... Some Toobshine and Hypatec is now ordered from your site!
Thanks for your business Paul

Have you given her a name yet?

Chris
Old 06 November 2012, 20:53   #9

Chris - not yet officially named, but think it will be "El Mono".

Now I've got the tubes sorted can start looking at some names/graphics.
Old 06 November 2012, 21:06   #10
Trade member

Quote:
Chris - not yet officially named, but think it will be "El Mono".
"The Monkey" ? I like it
Old 07 November 2012, 14:57   #11

Muy bien senor!

Might have a look at where I can stick some names this weekend, in addition to fault finding the fish finder (Raytheon L256 I think), which appears a wee bit reluctant at the moment to give me any meaningful data...
Old 07 November 2012, 22:03   #12

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Interesting boat, we have a 9m ribtec with a Yanmar 315, but with a cabin.

Yours must be quick, bravo III opposed to II and a ton or two less in weight I imagine.

We max out at 35 (downhill)

Wonder if the hull is the same, Alan P would know...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	73971  
Old 08 November 2012, 10:04   #13

Hey Daniel - that's a very nice looking boat, have always fancied the protection of a decent cabin!

Sadly the plotter was down with a dodgy GPS antenna when I launched last weekend , so I couldn't measure speed (had left my handheld at home as well!). Where we had to lower the framework to get it in the workshop for the tube repairs we'd knackered a connection. I soldered what appeared to be the culprit on Sunday, and it did then spring in to life, so I'm hoping it should work if I manage to launch again this weekend.

Will let you know, but think I'm only expecting 40-45kn max.

Certainly from a quick glance at your photo, the spray rails on the hulls are different - yours curve upwards towards the bow, whereas mine stay fairly straight?
Old 08 November 2012, 17:22   #14

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Interesting boat, we have a 9m ribtec with a Yanmar 315, but with a cabin.

Yours must be quick, bravo III opposed to II and a ton or two less in weight I imagine.

We max out at 35 (downhill)

Wonder if the hull is the same, Alan P would know...
No its not. The Ribtec 9 was a completly different hull to the 10. Tim Wilks prided himself on having a specific mould for each model. I remember one very cold, snowy day helping the previous owner of Magellen Alfa deliver it to his home in St Mawes. I will never forget his question as we cleared the Hamble. "Where will be be stopping tonight?" my reply? Your house its only 180 miles away! we made it in plenty of time and befor darkness. Alan P
Old 08 November 2012, 17:43   #15

Town: surrey
Boat name: el nino
Make: tornado humber
Engine: outboards
would like see the boat when am down your way
Old 09 November 2012, 09:15   #16

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Hi Alan,

Nice to hear from you. Best of luck with the current venture.

So was "spirit" a lengthened 9, or is Magellan a shortened 10 ? She sure is a cracking boat. We're planning a round brittan in 2013. Mike did it in about 2005.
Old 09 November 2012, 12:10   #17

Town: Dartmouth
Length: 6m +
Good to see Magellan Alpha still going strong.
Old 09 November 2012, 15:02   #18

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Hi Alan,

Nice to hear from you. Best of luck with the current venture.

So was "spirit" a lengthened 9, or is Magellan a shortened 10 ? She sure is a cracking boat. We're planning a round brittan in 2013. Mike did it in about 2005.
Magellan is a shortened 10. The first owner had it built to his total specification and when it was launched it sat to high in the water so the best part of a ton of lead and resin were squirted into the hull. The 10 sat in the correct place..
We have a new start date of 1500hrs 2nd November 2013 fron Europa point Gibraltar. Not sure if you have heard but it is now a race around the world against an American team. we have set up a new website for it www.circumnavigationrecord.com and the Americans is www.oceansquest.com but there is not much on it. Cheers Alan P
Old 14 November 2012, 09:24   #19

Was happy to see that my new GPS sensor wiring worked, so I could do a quick speed test last weekend!

We topped out at 36kn at about 3800 RPM. Had Mum onboard who doesn't like to go very fast, so didn't hold it there for long to experiment with the trim. Will have to have a bit more of a play next time, would have thought it should be able to get to 40kn? It has a pretty clean hull, so shouldn't be much holding it back...

But had a lovely trip along the coast between Bournemouth/Boscombe and Studland - a few pics in an empty Studland Bay below.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4005.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	74119   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4009.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	74120  
Old 25 September 2013, 23:45   #20

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Quote:
Was happy to see that my new GPS sensor wiring worked, so I could do a quick speed test last weekend! We topped out at 36kn at about 3800 RPM. Had Mum onboard who doesn't like to go very fast, so didn't hold it there for long to experiment with the trim. Will have to have a bit more of a play next time, would have thought it should be able to get to 40kn? It has a pretty clean hull, so shouldn't be much holding it back... But had a lovely trip along the coast between Bournemouth/Boscombe and Studland - a few pics in an empty Studland Bay below.
We get about 42 knots with twin Yamaha diesels out of our Ribtec 890SX.

Not sure how different our hulls are.