Old 20 November 2019, 16:34   #1

Town: Anstruther, Fife
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
First ever rib Avon 5.4

New to ribs
I have read this is a flooding hull. I get why it would be advantageous for diving /fishing ect but can i glass the holes over and keep her dry?
Also the transom is shot (Been hollowed out by previous owner) and the floor needs glassed to the hull.
The jockey seat base is all that is left of the seat. Can i change this to side by side or is there an advantage to the jockey style ?
Is there any air chambers built into her ?
Is it OK to fill with foam or best to leaves air tight compartments?
Why do most ribs have A frames ?
Old 20 November 2019, 18:39   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Tiny Dancer
Make: Valiant
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp outboard
You could glass over the flooding hull holes but it would be better doing something less permanent in case you ever want to revert to standard or sell the boat.
A-frames are generally for mounting navigation lights to so useful if you will be using the boat at night (they also look cool).
As for seating, that is down to personal preference. A lot of modern ribs have a leisure seating layout but I don’t think I have ever seen a Searider converted to this style.
Old 20 November 2019, 22:07   #3

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Yes you can seal up the sea rider improves fuel economy

A frames are usful to mount stuff too that needs elevation nav lights, radar reflector, vhf antenna etc

Jockeys are common but some have been fited with bench seats or other styles the issues is the 5.4 isn’t very spacious in the deck SXS seating a single jockey helm with SxS seats behind can work.

Repairing the transom is possible but may require a lot of extra work

This guy is the man for refurbishing hulls RIBnet Forums - View Profile: nugent
Old 21 November 2019, 08:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
You could glass over the flooding hull holes but it would be better doing something less permanent in case you ever want to revert to standard or sell the boat.
A-frames are generally for mounting navigation lights to so useful if you will be using the boat at night (they also look cool).
As for seating, that is down to personal preference. A lot of modern ribs have a leisure seating layout but I don’t think I have ever seen a Searider converted to this style.
Thanks for the info Sandman.
Is there a type of pre-made bung/plug for the inlet outlet holes on the hull ???
By the way the A frames do look cool
Old 21 November 2019, 08:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post

A frames are usful to mount stuff too that needs elevation nav lights, radar reflector, vhf antenna etc

Jockeys are common but some have been fited with bench seats or other styles the issues is the 5.4 isn’t very spacious in the deck SXS seating a single jockey helm with SxS seats behind can work.

Repairing the transom is possible but may require a lot of extra work

This guy is the man for refurbishing hulls RIBnet Forums - View Profile: nugent
Thanks for the reply HDAV The hull is pretty narrow as you say so i will stick with the jockey. I can handle the glass work its my first rib but i have restored around 7 boats all glass hulls so just a bit unsure of the flotation/buoyancy compartment on these hulls.
One last question where do you run the steering cable on these ???
Old 21 November 2019, 13:50   #6

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Searider deluxe was standard with side by side seats & covered bow http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71443

Avon Searider 5.4m DeLuxe (18 feet)

Maybe worth looking for a deluxe hull before you start digging into repairs on your existing hull. Dont think you'd get a side by side console to work unless it was very narrow

Transom repair has been covered in many threads in the past, same as the various methods of blocking the flooding hull.
If your talking about foaming the flooding hull then personally I wouldn't as it makes it almost impossible to reinstate the flooding hull if you want to later
Old 21 November 2019, 15:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Searider deluxe was standard with side by side seats & covered bow For Sale Avon Searider 5.4m DeLuxe (18 feet) - RIBnet Forums

Maybe worth looking for a deluxe hull before you start digging into repairs on your existing hull. Dont think you'd get a side by side console to work unless it was very narrow

Transom repair has been covered in many threads in the past, same as the various methods of blocking the flooding hull.
If your talking about foaming the flooding hull then personally I wouldn't as it makes it almost impossible to reinstate the flooding hull if you want to later
Ok so go with the flooding hull and jockey seat to see how i like the ride.

When i get a proper look at the hull (Minus floor) Where is the buoyancy chamber located ? will it be clear once the floor is up ?

As i said i have done a few hull up rebuilds but never touched a rib hence all the questions.
How does the flooded hull handle getting up on the plain ?

Does the flood make a huge difference in the way the boat handles at rest ??

I seen the max on these is rated at 90hp or twin 40s. I was thinking on a merc 75 with PTT any ideas on how she would run with that ?

A big thanks for all the help guys
Old 21 November 2019, 15:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
Searider deluxe was standard with side by side seats & covered bow For Sale Avon Searider 5.4m DeLuxe (18 feet) - RIBnet Forums

I had a look at the delux in the link. Just like a speedboat i prefer the jockey seat the more i look at the videos ect But thank you for posting it
Old 21 November 2019, 18:09   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spybot View Post
I had a look at the delux in the link. Just like a speedboat i prefer the jockey seat the more i look at the videos ect But thank you for posting it
Yeh definitely a bit Marmite [emoji6][emoji106][emoji106]
Old 23 November 2019, 09:24   #10

Steering cables normally (I think) run through the console Out the rear corner and over the rear deck to motor with the fuel, battery and other services don’t think the 5.4 had an under deck conduit but I could be wrong.......
Old 23 November 2019, 14:36   #11

Quote:
Steering cables normally (I think) run through the console Out the rear corner and over the rear deck to motor with the fuel, battery and other services don’t think the 5.4 had an under deck conduit but I could be wrong.......
So i take it the cable exits the console and runs along the deck ???
Does it go under the tube ?
What i think they had the battery under the seat and probably had the fuel lashed down but its all guess work just now
Old 23 November 2019, 19:59   #12

Normally runs inside console and out the rear via a grommet or sealing ring, normally battery and sometimes fuel cans live in The jockey console

Good images here and in other threads on here
http://www.rib.net/forum/f8/avon-5-4...tml#post456438

http://www.rib.net/forum/f16/5-4sr-s...ole-48349.html
Old 25 November 2019, 23:31   #13
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
I wouldn't foam the flooding hull and glass it up, they invariably get water in there. Most just block it up with something and put a drain bung into whatever they plug it with.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2019, 15:46   #14

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Once on the plane all of the water will have drained out.

I'd keep the flooding hull (All 3 of my seariders have had the flooding hull). The only time i'd suggest closing it off would be if you needed maximum accelleration from a standing start for water skiing for example. I had a blank kit and tried it out. Apart from making the boat more tippy at rest I didn't notice any benefit.
Yours will go very well with 75hp. (I had 90hp which was more than enough).
The buoyancy chamber will be on the underside of the deck I think. If youre lifting the deck you'll see what's in there.
Repair the transom from the inside - leave the outer hull skin in place to work up to.
Steering cable, throttle and gear cables and engine cables all run on deck. Mine came out of the rear of the console and were bound together with spiralwrap. My 5.4 was a "deluxe" which had had an Outhill console fitted.

Great boats.
Old 02 December 2019, 19:33   #15

Town: ft.lauderdale
Boat name: havnt named it...
Make: Willard 7.3 and Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x200HP Yamaha 2 st
Question on Deck

Hello All,

I am about to do some modifications on my 1995 SR 5.4. I have run it in its current configuration for about four years and its solid. Just hoping to either raise the deck a bit for a few more inches, run fuel and control lines under the deck, and or make a bilge catch in the back.

That being said, I'm noticing through the flood hole on the transom there appears to be a middle deck? Anyone know what this is for? Is it s floatation chamber or something? I havnt cut into anything yet and wanted to know if that is maybe the original deck and someone laid one on top?

Doesn't appear so from comparison to other pics.... Anyone know?
Old 03 December 2019, 18:51   #16

Town: San Diego
Engine: Outboard
Adjustable drain bung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spybot View Post
New to ribs
I have read this is a flooding hull. I get why it would be advantageous for diving /fishing ect but can i glass the holes over and keep her dry?
Also the transom is shot (Been hollowed out by previous owner) and the floor needs glassed to the hull.
The jockey seat base is all that is left of the seat. Can i change this to side by side or is there an advantage to the jockey style ?
Is there any air chambers built into her ?
Is it OK to fill with foam or best to leaves air tight compartments?
Why do most ribs have A frames ?
Old 03 December 2019, 20:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
No it doesn't.

I'd keep the flooding hull (All 3 of my seariders have had the flooding hull). The only time i'd suggest closing it off would be if you needed maximum accelleration from a standing start for water skiing for example.
Interesting I was told that moving the weight of the water in the hull cost a fair amount of fuel and made it slower to plane every time you stopped, guess it’s more of an issue if you stop regularly. Pulling a skier or tube for example..... I’ll ask the guy I know who had his 5.4 sealed what’s it’s like on fuel now it’s been done
Old 04 December 2019, 10:23   #18

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Had a 5.4 with 90 2 stroke Yamaha .
The fuel burn was enormous when you do a lot of stop and go .
For me it felt also too sluggish to get the boat with the hull full of water on plane .
So I blocked the hull off with a stainless steel sealed hatch to keep the option of opening it again if needed .
Old 04 December 2019, 17:28   #19

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
Quote:
No it doesn't.
Yes it does, you are talking poo, takes a significant amount of extra power/fuel to get it to plane.
If correctly propped you should get 1 litre per mile under full chat. A 90 yam cruising will achieve 0.5 litre p/m

125 kgs is ideally the max weight for the transom, considering your transom may need work I would think carefully before you load it with a heavy engine
Stick with a two stroke .
Old 06 December 2019, 15:46   #20

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
About the consumption on a SR 5.4 with a Yam 90 2stroke. Have a fuel flow meter in mine and i get basically same consumption nautical mile as soon as speed is over 23 knots. 23-39 knots is very close 0.8 L /nm. Everything below 23 knots is more than 0.8 /nm This with some gear, 50-70 L gas and 1-2 light adult on board. Guess some differences from boat to boat. In rough sea where one have to use the whole speed range plenty of advantage of closing the hull IMHO. Still remains a stable boat at rest.

Tags
avon, rib