MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Fire extinguisher - what do I need ?

How big an extinguisher do I need ?

(8.5m Hysucat with twin 175 outboards)

Actually, why do I need one anyway ?
Just how will my RIB catch fire ?
Has anyone ever needed one ?

I imagine its only chance will be electrical, so that will be in the console where all the wiring is, or at the rear, where the two batterys are - right next to the fuel lines to the two outboards.

So just where do I mount the extingisher then ?
Old 14 October 2013, 18:12   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Forgive me, I appreciate your keen to spec your new purchase out to suit you but do you not think these are questions you should have considered and asked the seller before committing, spending the kind of money you have id have expected bits like this to b in place already. Its often the way that when you sit and and add up all that you've needed and fitted after purchase you start to regret jumping in.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Old 14 October 2013, 18:53   #3

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
RIBase
OK, I wont ask any more questions then.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:04   #4

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
OK, I wont ask any more questions then.
Ignore him...( secretly we all wish we had your boat - some of us are just better at hiding it...jealousy ..its an ugly emotion ! )

Fire at sea...the one thing I'll be doing is getting off my boat.

I have an extinguisher on my boat - its small powder one ...whatever you get if you have to use it it'll be a bad bad day....

CO2 is fairly useless as is foam on a boat ( IMHO) ....others will know more...
Old 14 October 2013, 19:04   #5

Town: Plymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chopz View Post
is it just me or is anyone else sick of hearing bout this med bound hussycat with twin motors and no extras I don't mean to be rude but whenever I log on theres a topic on hussycat you should have asked the dealer for all the bits considering how much you shelled out
yes its just you!!!!!

My point was a simple question, I was not slating the OP, if you don't like whet you see bugger off somewhere else!

www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk
Old 14 October 2013, 19:13   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Actually, why do I need one anyway ? Seriously?
Just how will my RIB catch fire ?
Has anyone ever needed one ?

I imagine its only chance will be electrical, so that will be in the console where all the wiring is, or at the rear, where the two batterys are - right next to the fuel lines to the two outboards.
You kinda answered your own question there dude, which might explain some of the irritation from the Odd Individual (as we'll call him from now on )

CO2 - good for under cowl fuel/electrical fires and in console fires if you have a fire port fitted. For general "on deck" fires, a 1kg powder is ideal. They're VERY effective - I've used them in anger on land.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:27   #7

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
bit strong Mr Chopz maybe Trimix got the best deal he could and decided that rather than pay the dealer a shed load of money for all the goodies to be fitted he would like to get some pleasure out of fitting out his rib himself with good kit recommended by other users, or is it just me i made the mistake of letting a dealer fit our rib out with vhf, chartplotter etc, ended up with 2nd rate kit poorly fitted and badly wired up, won't make that mistake again

Trimix, pm me anytime you want, I'm happy to help where i can
Old 14 October 2013, 19:31   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chopz View Post
is it just me or is anyone else sick of hearing bout this med bound hussycat with twin motors and no extras I don't mean to be rude but whenever I log on theres a topic on hussycat you should have asked the dealer for all the bits considering how much you shelled out
Compared to a lot of the crap that gets talked about on here these questions all seem reasonably relevant! Personally I'm not convinced a dealer is the best person to advise you on this stuff, although I am surprised a few of the things weren't included on a boat that was out giving live demos at a boat show!

Dealers are primarily interested in the sale / their margin. So whilst some might "chuck in" extras to close a sale any freeby will often be the cheapest to tick a box (rather than the best / most appropriate). If its an opportunity to upsell extras the opposite can happen and you are sold things which really aren't that relevant. If you are going to run a RIB this size then a few accessories isn't going to break the bank - but I would have hoped a good Powerboat Instructor would have covered the essentials on a PB2 course.

Of course Trimix might want to use the Search tool as most topics have been discussed before. There he would probably have concluded: electrics can start fires; petrol burns rather well and fibreglass and hypalon aren't exactly Nomex either; and whilst rare, some unfortunate people have had outboard fires. He'd also have found others recommending dry powder extinguishers which whilst very messy are probably the most appropriate, although a fire blanket would not be pointless in some fires.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:33   #9

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
RIBase
Cheers for the replys.

I am enjoying the research and fitting it out exactly as I want. I didnt want one completely sorted by someone else to their budget.

But Im also aware that I have no experience, so its really helpfull to get other opinions.
Old 14 October 2013, 19:36   #10

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Fire is very rare in ribs but does happen.

I have seen an outboard fire occur on the first launch after a winter layup, which set the entire back end of the rib on fire. Not a pretty site.

Just be careful with petrol vapours when filling from portable tanks. Keep an extinguisher to hand just in case. If you spill some wash down with plenty of water quickly.

Dry powder extinguishers are what you need but once fired off you only get a short blast. Best to have 2 in separate locations on a larger boat if you can. Don't keep the locker locked if you store it away (sounds obvious). Think where a fire could break out and don't put your extinguisher there.

If a small fire is not tackled quickly the residual heat could restart it after you have discharged an extinguisher at it, so you may need another shortly after.

For an electric fire you also need to isolate the electric supply if something had shorted sufficient to cause a fire, so a battery isolator is ideally needed too.

If you are at sea and have a fire then you need the hand held VHF (if main out of action ) to hand to alert coastguard ASAP.

RYA courses, VHF course and RNLI are probably worth your while exploring for education and advice.

Hope this helps
Old 14 October 2013, 19:45   #11

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
i will be honest trimix, your boat isnt my cup of tea but that has nothing to do with jealousy, i just prefer dive/rescue style ribs. im a little concerned by your inexperience, but also reassured by the fact that youre not afraid of asking questions - we all started once and we are all still learning. by kitting out the boat yourself you will no doubt be getting yourself clued up on each and every item on your boat and therefore will have the confidence in understanding what you have and how everything works. fair play to you - keep asking
Old 14 October 2013, 19:45   #12

Length: 3m +
Well I may as well show my cards. Completely jealous that you have a rib and I don't. As for your actual RIB - completely not to my taste. But I don't feel the need to be abusive like the 'Odd One'.

So to the question - why do you need one? Well You may or may not have one in your car. I've passed a decent number of cars on Hardshoulders that clearly were doing more than over heating. If in doubt listen to Sally Traffic on Radio 2 for a week and you are bound to hear a number of car and trucks on fire. I doubt many of them are fag ends or collisions.

With two OB's you're gonna be transporting a fair amount of fuel around. Far more than in your average family car.

Added to that your car catches fire, you pull over to the left, open your doors and get out. Worry about trying to save your prized possession later. Not so easy if you have to decide if moving your fireball on water to get to land to get out will fan the flames more or not, or if you are just jumping into the water (which hopefully the fuel hasn't leaked to).

1kg is what the RYA recommend I think.

Put it somewhere dry and free from salty water.

Somewhere you can get to it from the driving possition, probably away from electrics or fuel...? Under a seat ?
Old 14 October 2013, 19:45   #13

Town: Chorley / Holyhead
Boat name: Northwind Challenger
Make: Tornado
Engine: Mariner 115 efi CT
MMSI: 235080598
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Festinghouse
oh, and i carry a 5kg powder - a bit overkill but i got it for nowt!
Old 14 October 2013, 20:02   #14

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
I guess dry powder is best on a rib, but I think I would be more interested in abandoning ship, either into a liferaft or directly into the water, if a rib engine was on fire. I would not be hanging around on top of all that petrol trying to put it out. The boat is expendable (it's insured), and I would be getting myself and any passengers as far from it as possible by whatever means.

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 20:03   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Extinguisher

I'd suggest an automatic one (gas or powder) in the rear with the batteries and fuel lines and a 1kg or 2kg dry powder near or in the forward console.
Old 14 October 2013, 20:30   #16
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Keep asking the questions Trimix. We are all very envious of your new toy. Asking here you get a lot of different answers and the reasons why then you can decide what works best for you.

I lurked in the background for a long time on here at the start and didn't ask more than a couple of questions for fear of grief from asking silly questions but mainly having no boating experience and went straight out and bought my current boat with not a clue. Not even a power boat course under my belt!

Very similar to you! But my boat was much cheaper!
Old 14 October 2013, 20:35   #17

Town: Daventry & Beaulieu
Boat name: Tigga2
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Honda BF50
MMSI: 235900806
RIBase
Keep asking the questions Trimix, and ignore those that are bored with your new boat.

--
Tigga - Avon SR4 Rescue with 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke
chris.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 21:00   #18
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
page 66

http://www.rya.org.uk/SiteCollection...tes%202013.pdf

has a quick guide in what the RYA recommend for teaching centres - use as guide only !
Old 14 October 2013, 21:13   #19

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
http://www.firetrace.com/english/pro...elease-systems
I've got a firetrace auto extinguisher fitted in the console & a couple of 1kg dry powders on the boat.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2013, 21:15   #20

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ. View Post
Keep asking the questions Trimix. We are all very envious of your new toy. Asking here you get a lot of different answers and the reasons why then you can decide what works best for you.

I lurked in the background for a long time on here at the start and didn't ask more than a couple of questions for fear of grief from asking silly questions but mainly having no boating experience and went straight out and bought my current boat with not a clue. Not even a power boat course under my belt!

Very similar to you! But my boat was much cheaper!
Now you just get grief anyway....