Old 01 March 2020, 06:38   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Finding Boat Buddies

Looking for advice. I was criticised by MCA a couple of years back for seeking boating buddies via Facebook and NextDoor. I am 62 and want to find personable folk to join me in Farfetched on my weekly or biweekly days out in the Solent. Very relaxed, very weather driven, MCA said suggesting a payment for fuel contribution made it commercial. I am now in a position to offer trips completely for free. 1) can I be criticised for seeking buddies in this way 2) how can I find suitable friends?
Old 01 March 2020, 06:41   #2

Town: East Kent and Brittany
Boat name: Cameo
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Engine: 200hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235067011
It won't take long to find suitable friends if you are offering free trips out! ;-)

Why not try your local Scout groups, I'm sure they will be only too pleased to take you up on your offer (and the leaders would be very happy for a few trips to practice their chartwork and navigation).
Old 01 March 2020, 07:41   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
If it were me I'd cruise in company first to build up friendships with like minded-folk. By advertising for potential shipmates you're simply going to get a mixed bag, some who are potentially going to be a complete liability when you're out.

I've taken numerous friends out on my boat over the years and it's not for everyone. Some like the experience, enjoy the good days, and others who get bored or are as sick as a dog as soon as the boat comes to a stop in a bit of a swell.

You're Solent based so there's no shortage of potential Ribnet compatriots. Try living in NE Scotland, where seeing another leisure boat on the water is hard enough, never mind cruising with fellow enthusiasts.
Old 01 March 2020, 08:27   #4

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Facebook has a number of rib groups, this place has a page for planned rib trips. I'd be going for the approach suggested by Spartacus.

Join the groups, (I'd start with team Scooby as it' solent based) join the trips, build some friendships and then all is good. There are a number of people on both here and fb pages who are currently boatless and happy to drop out on day trips - once known

A general advert for riders is very close to the mark for the commercial world.

Good luck

Andy

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote