Old 01 April 2005, 18:22   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Filling fuel cans at SAINSBURYS

I know this was discussed a few months ago,but does anybody know exactly what the law is about the number of fuel containers that can be filled at a petrol forecourt?
Because the shut off valves at my local Sainsbury's are so sensitive it takes ages to feel my onboard fuel tank,so I have started going to the petrol station with my old fuel tanks from my old boat then filling the boat with a funnel.Every time I go there I get asked the same question, how many cans are you filling up? They tell me that you can only fill two at a time by law.Is this a Sainsbury's policy or are they correct in saying it is by law.
Old 01 April 2005, 18:45   #2

Town: Ardnamurchan
Make: Domar Corsair
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 20HP
MMSI: What?
Hmm..

At the bottom of this page..
At filling stations, there is no specific legal restriction on the type or number of containers that can be filled (although Petroleum Licensing Authorities often use licensing conditions to limit the containers sizes). The legal limits are on how and where they are subsequently kept.

Anyway, if they become fussy, im sure that you can find someone else who is happy to receive your (hopefully) hard earned cash in return for petrol, especially at the rate you'll be using it!
I think BP is becoming just as competitive as our local Safeway here...
Dont know if its the same down there.

Hope to have helped,
Cheers,
Daniel.
Old 01 April 2005, 19:12   #3

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
RIBNET Action

I've been awaiting a call back from Hampshire Trading standards with regards this matter for the last week.

I thought I would get the correct answer from the council as different petrol stations seem to interpret the law differently. And also the RYA have different information to what other people say.

It seems to be a very grey area.

What I would like to be able to do is fill two 25 Ltr Outboard red plastic cans and then carry them in my car back to the boat. It would seem legally you can carry 20 litres in the 5 Ltr Green plastic cans or 20 ltrs in specific 10 Ltr metal cans. For most of us that means a few trips to the petrol station.

This law is under constant review. As such I think all RIBNet members who use petrol stations should ring up their local Council and air their views. It can't do any harm and it might even get the message across.
Old 01 April 2005, 19:36   #4

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Not sure about anyone else, but no way would I put supermarket petrol into my boats engine.. let alone an Optimax..
Old 01 April 2005, 19:55   #5

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Forgive me for perhaps being nieve but is super market fuel sub standard
Old 01 April 2005, 20:08   #6

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
There are too many rumours abound that the quality doesn't match those of the Major oil companies.. Yes it does come from the same refinery... But, Shell, Texaco and Esso, etc, all use additives before it goes into your car.. As far as I know, supermarkets don't.. It's similar to which two stroke oil to use, peep's recommend the decent expensive stuff..
Old 01 April 2005, 20:09   #7

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
What's the point of going to a supermarket to buy petrol anyway?

I usually find there's a branded filling station cheaper... for me currently my local Shell station.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2005, 20:11   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
I think BP is becoming just as competitive as our local Safeway here...
A Safeway, at Ardnamurchan?
Old 01 April 2005, 20:38   #9

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
I don't tend to look around for the cheapest petrol I only use Sainsbury's as it is the nearest petrol station to me.If they don't want me to fill three containers of petrol every week at around £60.00 a go I will take my business elsewhere along with all the diesel I use each year for work covering around 50000 miles.And I'll get the wife to shop for food elsewhere while I'm at as well.Must be nice to dictate to your customer's and cap there spending.
Old 01 April 2005, 21:47   #10

I've never had any problems filling portable tanks, but then I've always filled the cans behind the car, so it's probably not clear that I'm not filling the car itself, and certainly not obvious how many, what size and what type of cans I'm filling.

I suspect that petrol station staff get the hump if they think that there's a risk of a spill, because then they have to clear it up and spread sand around!
Old 01 April 2005, 21:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
A Safeway, at Ardnamurchan?
Yes, in Fort William

Never had any problems with petrol coming from Safeways, but since they stopped this 5P off if you get 150 quid of shopping, my dad prefers going to BP, same stuff, machines work fine, never had any problems with the stuff..
We usually fill up 2 20L metal jerrycans and never get anyone asking questions..

Anyway, good point about this being a problem with most petrol stations...
Petition Petition Petition!
Also the rate of tax on it is pretty rediculous, they should make something like Red petrol, just like they have red diesel...

If i were to get a inboard it would most likely be red diesel, cheaper, less fuss of storing it.. and you can get a tanker (Highland fuels) to deliver it for no added cost...

So, what if you had a ex Camel with 500L storage capability... have to take it out of the water every time you wish to use it and take it along to the petrol station? or make 25 visits carrying a max of 20L each time? that would be 100 Miles roundtrip for me each time...

Just reading that website again, it seems according to this:
Up to 275 litres of petrol can be kept in any one storage place without a licence. The allowable quantity is reduced when the petrol is kept in or near buildings, or near public thoroughfares or other flammable substances (see below). In calculating the 275 litre limit, the petrol in the fuel tanks of vehicles in the storage area is included in the total
That if you own a boat with a large fuel capacity you need a license?
Old 01 April 2005, 22:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-d
if you own a boat with a large fuel capacity you need a license?
Probably!

Just don't get caught, and more importantly, don't have a fire and then everyone will be happy

Safeway certainly couldn't be called a convenience store for you, could it?
Old 01 April 2005, 22:16   #13

Town: Exmouth, Devon
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by no fear
Forgive me for perhaps being nieve but is super market fuel sub standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwozere
There are too many rumours abound that the quality doesn't match those of the Major oil companies.. Yes it does come from the same refinery... But, Shell, Texaco and Esso, etc, all use additives before it goes into your car.. As far as I know, supermarkets don't.. It's similar to which two stroke oil to use, peep's recommend the decent expensive stuff..
My brother works for BP (in fuel distribution) and I asked him this question a while ago. You're right - they all have slightly different additives which are put in the tanker as it leaves the depot. He's not too technical, so I didn't get the full spec on what the differences are, but partly comes down to the cleaning agents used (or not).

A service guy who looked after one of our diesel vans a while ago reckoned he could tell if you filled up at supermarket stations all the time by the internal state of the engine. Suggested filling up with 'quality' fuel every few tanks.

If you want to see how they work out how much to charge compared to their competitors, take a look at this . . .
http://www.geocomputation.org/2003/P...tall_Paper.pdf

And surely the fuel for Optis is
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...s_ga_1602.html

Back to the original post - not had any problems filling up either cans or into the boat. Usually fill up near slipway to avoid carrying it too far, so perhaps they're used to it.
Old 01 April 2005, 22:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Safeway certainly couldn't be called a convenience store for you, could it?
its the only place in Fort William with a handy parking space, and the petrol station is opposite, the only other petrol station along the way is Shell, which is usually 2P more compared to BP or Safeways, BP is not really on route, but its only about 50M further (involves turning round and driving back, waiting for traffic lights etc.)

Safeways only has one supermarket competitor being Tesco's but they are in the middle of town with no parking close to it... and with us doing shopping twice a month rather than every day, it is quite a shift of stuff...

Anyway, dont want to hijack this thread
Old 02 April 2005, 05:56   #15

Town: HERNE BAY
Boat name: Coastalbuzz
Make: Brill Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250suzuki/6/5/5
MMSI: tba
fuel

hi,
we filled up the other week, main tank 400 litres.
i went back and asked at the bp whether i could fill 12 x 25 litre cans in two trips and they said yes as long as we did it at a time when the station was less busy ie evenings and during day avoiding the rush hour.

this i feel shows a bit of common sense and also that they can excercise the decision taking process locally.

what we also will be doing is filling up at the back of the landrover and simply moving from one tank to another. Not putting the tank on the floor by the pump.
Old 02 April 2005, 10:15   #16
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike
hi,
we filled up the other week, main tank 400 litres.
i went back and asked at the bp whether i could fill 12 x 25 litre cans in two trips and they said yes as long as we did it at a time when the station was less busy ie evenings and during day avoiding the rush hour.

this i feel shows a bit of common sense and also that they can excercise the decision taking process locally.
A petrol station attendant using common sense what is the world coming to!

You all could solve this problem by being sneaky, filling up at busy times, with the tank at the back corner of the car! You telling me a spotty teenager on £6p/h will look that closely if you are filling a tank or your boat can???

Just park sensibly, fill up and drive off (don't forget to pay first!) If they don't want your custom of 100 litres of unleaded vote with you feet. There are plenty of other places who will take your business!

Most peterol stations near to marina are more than happy to accept tanks or boat tanks. I've never had any problems.

At uni I used to pitch up at the petrol station put £80 in the minibus and another £80-100 in the rib. Sainsburys at Plymouth loved me coming and I've still got 10,000 necter points to use!!!!

Chris
Old 02 April 2005, 18:08   #17

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
The reason I started to make proper enquiries because at the end of last season I was filling up with a friend two Outboard red plastic 25 Ltr cans when the pump got shut off on us.

The garage is the Esso Station at Havant Road, Stoke, Hayling Island. Its just over the bridge and first on the right near the wind surfing area. When we enquired what was wrong the attendant said we couldn't take so much petrol in the boot of the car and he would,nt let us have anymore.

Anyway at the beginning of this season I decided to go in to the same garage again and just ask them what the policy was. I was handed a plaque that stated only 5 Ltr approved plastic cans or 10 Ltr approved metal cans could be filled. When I asked how many cans I could fill he just kept saying read the sign. The owner was also present and stated he would loose his licence if we didn't follow the rules.

My predicament is that I stay on the island quite a lot. There are only three garages. One is really expensive. the next nearest one is the one I have the problem with and theres just one left to try.

I thought that before I upset the last garage I would get the facts from the council. After initiating enquiries prior to the bank holiday I have heard nothing. I guess they are too busy counting the Council Tax coffers.

As I said I will keep you posted on any outcome.
Old 02 April 2005, 18:16   #18

Town: London & Bolton
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to keytouch
Sounds like they need to have the distinction between a can and a tank pointed out to them.
Old 02 April 2005, 18:42   #19

Trouble is, it's a can until it's "installed" in the boat, to become a "tank".
Old 02 April 2005, 19:19   #20
ADS

Town: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL
A petrol station attendant using common sense what is the world coming to!

You all could solve this problem by being sneaky, filling up at busy times, with the tank at the back corner of the car! You telling me a spotty teenager on £6p/h will look that closely if you are filling a tank or your boat can???

Just park sensibly, fill up and drive off (don't forget to pay first!) If they don't want your custom of 100 litres of unleaded vote with you feet. There are plenty of other places who will take your business!

Most peterol stations near to marina are more than happy to accept tanks or boat tanks. I've never had any problems.

At uni I used to pitch up at the petrol station put £80 in the minibus and another £80-100 in the rib. Sainsburys at Plymouth loved me coming and I've still got 10,000 necter points to use!!!!

Chris
Chris,
you have hit the nail on the head! Exactly what I do, at my local Esso, they just think I am filling up the car, even though it looks like I have jsut put £50 of unleaded into what is a diesel!
'Out of sight of mind', if they cant see you doing it or you are filling it discretely they will let you get away with it.

Alex