Old 02 April 2005, 19:52   #21

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
ADS

We could all do "Out of sight out of mind", but lets see if we can find what the official line is first.

If the official line stinks, then lets be sneaky. Trouble is in Hampshire the Trading standards have recently been trying to catch the garages out by buying fuel in thin plastic 2 Ltr water bottles. Now that is stupid, but we all suffer when somebody has to make the rules and doesn't fully understand the implications of them whether through ignorance or misunderstanding.

There must be a hell of a lot of us on here breaking the law with regards the carriage of fuel etc. That usually means the law is wrong and needs changing. To do that we have to apply pressure. that usually means talking to the 'Powers that be' and making them aware that there is a problem.

Thats the way I look at it. I am also prepared to see it the 'Trading Standards' way if they can show an alternative way to refuel my boat that is safe, economic and viable.

Somebody must be able to come up with a way to safely transport large quantities of fuel safely and satisfy the statutory powers. Its not just us boat users that require this.
Old 02 April 2005, 20:02   #22

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles
We could all do "Out of sight out of mind"
It looks like lots of us do, and hence don't have a problem. Why expend energy banging your head against the bureaucratic wall when the subtle approach works well?
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2005, 08:48   #23

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Obsession
Make: ORKNEY PILOTHOUSE 20
Length: 6m +
Engine: SUZUKI 70
MMSI: 235024496
Interesting comments,I've E-Mailed Sainsbury's and asked them to explain there policy and send me a copy of it. If there is one?
Old 03 April 2005, 09:32   #24

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
one thing spings to mind reading this very interesting thread is if we had any mishap whilst towing' would our insurance be void because of the amount of fuel in car or tank on boat
Old 03 April 2005, 19:33   #25

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
I frequently get told off, but it's a bit late once it's in the can! Apologise profusely, protest innocence and try not to do it to the same person again.

Also most fuel pumps shut off automatically after 3 minutes or 100 L.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 April 2005, 20:17   #26

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
If people persist in asking for the official line they may get an answer they dont want and it may also result in a round robin letter from T.S. to garages in their area reminding them of their obligations.
Result will be everyone struggling when trying to buy fuel in portable tanks/containers on that patch cos of a percieved clamp down. Similarly asking safeways/morrisons can have the same effect nationally at their stations when head office wakes up to an issue they didnt know of before and send round an instruction to all their stations to be on the look out for container sales and to refuse them. I buy fuel in cans at a certain supermarket to fill the onboard tanks on my boats but do it discreetely. If I start to have problems in future I'll perhaps know why! The phrase about sleeping dogs springs to mind!
Old 03 April 2005, 22:57   #27

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Agreed.
Old 04 April 2005, 00:49   #28

Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
I noticed a notice at our local (Paignton) Sainsburys' this afternoon that said something like:

Local Authority regulations permit a total of

5 Litres in approved Plastic containers
25 Litres in approved Metal containers.
Old 04 April 2005, 20:08   #29

From a certain trading standards site
The storage of "Petroleum Spirit" at domestic premises is permissible under certain circumstances.
One piece of legislation covering domestic storage is contained within- The Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982
The regulations provide exemption from the requirement of a Petroleum Licence, for storing certain amounts of petrol kept in authorised plastic containers, for the purposes of refuelling internal combustion engines.
For storage in authorised plastic containers without a licence, the containers must:
Be constructed of suitable material, which is designed for the storage of petrol;
Have a maximum capacity of 5 (five) litres only;
Be designed and constructed to prevent the escape of petrol and enable the safe pouring from the container;
Have appropriate markings or labels i.e. 'Petrol Highly Flammable' firmly affixed.
The quantities that can be legally stored are: TWO 5-litre containers kept ON any motor vehicle, motorboat, or hovercraft; PLUS two further 5 litre containers kept in a safe place in any domestic premises; *
*Petrol should NOT actually be stored in the house. Petrol should NEVER be stored in places where there is a possible source of ignition such as near central heating boilers, or where electrical equipment may be used, or where there is a lack of ventilation or is accessible to minors.
Such types of authorised petrol containers are available at most service stations and motor accessory outlets.
Other plastic storage containers may not be of suitable construction / material for the storage of petrol, as it may well eat away at the plastic allowing the release of petrol and explosive vapour into areas where it may meet ignition sources.
Storage outside of these regulations may possibly be illegal and require a petroleum spirit licence. Storage of petrol may also invalidate home insurance policies and therefore should only be considered where absolutely necessary
Old 04 April 2005, 20:33   #30

and this is from hampshires
Metal Containers should not exceed 23 litres capacity, be permanently labelled ‘Petroleum Spirit - Highly Flammable’ and be fitted with a secure leak proof cap.

Plastic Containers should not exceed 5 litres capacity and comply with the Petroleum Spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982.

They should be legibly marked with the Manufacturers name; month and year of manufacture, nominal capacity in litres; legend stating “Complies with S1 1982/630”; the words ‘PETROL and HIGHLY FLAMMABLE’ ; hazard warning sign and precautions to be taken.

its there if you look!
some time ago I rather think plastimo had to withdraw 20l plastic containers cos of the regs.
Old 04 April 2005, 21:42   #31

Town: London & Bolton
Length: no boat
Send a message via MSN to keytouch
There is guidance (updated march 2005) from the RYA available HERE
Old 05 April 2005, 14:49   #32

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Keytouch,

The RYA line seems the most sensible and fulfills my requirements.

So why is it everyone else seems to take a different line ?

Confusing or what.

Anyway I'm printing off the RYA stuff to keep in my car seeing as its the most favourable for me.
Old 05 April 2005, 19:48   #33

Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
MMSI: 235064495
The RYA may fulfill your requirements Biggles
Just try waveing a copy under the nose of your local
Sainsburys stoge and see where it gets you
Good luck
Old 05 April 2005, 19:55   #34
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Voyages of Discovery in St Davids (the Quinquarimarine trip boat operation) get through something like 1000 litres in jerry cans every day in peak season, so they must have found a way round it!

I've sent a PM to John pointing him to this thread to see if he has any helpful advice.

John
Old 05 April 2005, 20:52   #35

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Well, here's my 2pence worth:

I live in the heart of the Norfolk Broads, and normally use my local "Total" filling station for both car and RIB. I've never had any trouble filling the RIB; my normal procedure involves me filling the car with one pump, then jumping in the back of the RIB, and filling the RIB tank up with another pump. Never had any trouble...

Last week I used a different station, in Suffolk. Same procedure as I normally use - no trouble. I went into the shop and must have been about 5 minutes choosing some sandwiches. Big queue, to which I got to the back of. The lady then said "whoes the person on pump 11 - the one with the boat". She called me to the front of the cue......simply to pay becasue you have to pay within 5 minutes. This reinforced my thoughts about them not caring me filling a boat - she knew it was a boat I was filling! (That was a BP btw.)

Only time I've ever had any trouble was filled at a Shell when I was about 10 - was going it for my mother. On this one occasion the lady stopped the pump and called out over the PA that you had to be over 16 (although I did it countless other times and nobody ever complained!)

Edit: Forgot to add, I am responsible for fuel at my school boat club. We used to fill loads (8 in a go) of 5l plastic cans until we were told to stop. We now use a damaged 20l metal can (its 17l becasue it has a huge dent in it) and they don't care!
Old 05 April 2005, 21:46   #36
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
This evening I went out for a spin on my mates speed boat, anyway he lives walking distance away from the local garage (Texaco) . I walked up with his emtpy 25 litre plastic container, put the nozzle in and pressed the trigger. Nothing. I was beginning to think here we go, and the assistant came out and asked me if I was 16
She didn't even mention the container.

Alex
Old 06 April 2005, 08:58   #37

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M
Well, here's my 2pence worth:

I've never had any trouble filling the RIB;
I think it's seperate containers people are having trouble with - n ot fitted tanks - at race weekends I reguarly fill the race boat up with well over 100 litres of fuel and there are often 15 - 20 boats or more doing the same thing - never had a complaint yet!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2005, 08:10   #38

Update from SAINSBURY'S

Just had E-Mail back from Sainsbury's regarding how many can's you can fill at any one time. See Below:

customerservice@sainsburys.co.uk
Date: 04/16/05 08:21:49
To: waynerrogers@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: FW: Petrol Station Laws

Dear Mr Rogers,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing experience at our Warren Heath Petrol station. I have escalated your enquiry to the relevant team at head office. They have advised that if the cans are certified there should be no problem filling two or more.

Thank you for contacting us about this problem. I will make sure that this information is communicated to my colleagues at the petrol station.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Kind regards,

Carol Key
Sainsbury's Customer Services
Old 17 April 2005, 16:48   #39

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Engine: Suzuki 175
Approved stickers required

I have pucker jerry cans - but they dont have the stickeres that various posts refer to on this thread.

Can anybody assist me in getting some - or at least pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks Paul
Old 17 April 2005, 21:14   #40

Hi Paul

Hope you had a good show at the NEC, try local chandlery shop for stickers they should have some.Got some for my filler cap on the boat.

Wayne