Old 28 August 2015, 06:24   #1

Town: San Salvador
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard, Evinrude
Fiberglass tubes

I am adding this comment for anyone interested in a project like this. A couple of weeks back i got a mercury inflatable with the original tubes torn, completely useless. I started the project to add fiberglass tubes instead and see what happened. The results in my opinion were great:
It is only about 40lbs heavier than the original boat. It floats and runs just like before. The size is a 3.40m.

If younare tired of fixing and repairing your tube and have the space (trailer), doing this mod can make your life much easier. I had my doubts that this would work, but it does. I still have the positive buoyancy that makes inflatables so great, without the maintenance.

I added some pics from my trial today. If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. Everything is appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1440742976.447265.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	108206Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1440743000.257064.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	108207Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1440743022.998736.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	108208Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1440743040.855725.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	108209Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1440743066.338319.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	108210
Old 28 August 2015, 07:34   #2

Town: Enfield/Switzerland
Boat name: Zonneschijn II/Vixen
Make: Shakespeare/Avon
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evin' 175 DI /Yam 90
MMSI: 235055605
Nice one. No real reaso why it wouldn't work, there is an ali boat in UK with ali tubes
Old 28 August 2015, 08:20   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Welcome to the world of rigid buoyant boating and the slightly smug feeling everytime someone here posts about a puncture!

There are a couple of downsides to rigid tubes. (1) The ride quality may be a bit rougher - will be interesting if you've tried a before and after; (2) You loose the fendering properties, with my HDPE tubes that's not too bad (for me - but not necessarily what I hit!) - but with GRP & gel coat they could be relatively easy to damage.
Old 28 August 2015, 08:32   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Welcome to Ribnet. It would be interesting to see what the ride is like on rough water rather than a flat lake/river/bay. IMHO what you have now is a hard boat without the space.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 August 2015, 10:37   #5
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
IMHO what you have now is a hard boat without the space.
Well yeah, but not quite - he has an extremely stable, "unsinkable" hardboat with peripheral seating. And it cost him buttons. I bet it's nice and calm there a lot of the time too
Old 28 August 2015, 11:34   #6

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Looks like a well done job. I wonder about the rough weather handling, would it really be affected that much? I have the feeling on my SR 5.4 that the tubes are not making much difference in that respect, but its hard to evaluate as don't have a hardtube version to compare to.
Old 28 August 2015, 13:02   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB View Post
Looks like a well done job. I wonder about the rough weather handling, would it really be affected that much? I have the feeling on my SR 5.4 that the tubes are not making much difference in that respect, but its hard to evaluate as don't have a hardtube version to compare to.
Yes it is often said that the tubes provide some cushion against big waves. Having experienced some waves in inflatable ribs that stop you in your tracks I'm not convinced the tubes do that much. I think the ride quality is more down to the bit of the hull that is always in the water, and maybe the shape of the tubes rather than their slight cushion, and of course the helmsman. I've hit some big waves with my hard tubes and I've never thought it would be that much better with a squishy tube. Given that 90% of RIBs never really push the limits anyway its probably not a major priority for most leisure use - fendering however...
Old 28 August 2015, 13:04   #8

Town: San Salvador
Boat name: Black Jack
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Outboard, Evinrude
I will run a few tests on the ride this weekend and post on them. I have a rib as well to make a comparison.

For the fendering, i added a rubber fender just like the one glued to the inflatable tubes (blue in the pics) and helps th fiberglass and gelcoat. I also use small jetski fenders any way.
Old 28 August 2015, 15:00   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Harvey View Post
Nice one. No real reaso why it wouldn't work, there is an ali boat in UK with ali tubes
ACB (Aluminum Chambered Boats) and a NZ firm whose name I can't recall made aluminum tubed "RIBs". I've seen one of each in action (about a 26' ACB and a 15' Kiwi boat); they both seemed pretty good.

jky
Old 01 September 2015, 15:19   #10

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
I'd be interested in an outline of how you made and attached the fibreglass tubes. I have an elderly rib that is probably not worth retubing, though it will keep going a bit longer yet.

All the best

David
Old 31 August 2021, 07:45   #11

Town: Kilrush
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaade View Post
I am adding this comment for anyone interested in a project like this. A couple of weeks back i got a mercury inflatable with the original tubes torn, completely useless. I started the project to add fiberglass tubes instead and see what happened. The results in my opinion were great:
It is only about 40lbs heavier than the original boat. It floats and runs just like before. The size is a 3.40m.

If younare tired of fixing and repairing your tube and have the space (trailer), doing this mod can make your life much easier. I had my doubts that this would work, but it does. I still have the positive buoyancy that makes inflatables so great, without the maintenance.

I added some pics from my trial today. If anyone has any questions or comments, please let me know. Everything is appreciated.Attachment 108206Attachment 108207Attachment 108208Attachment 108209Attachment 108210
Hi gsaade
I am looking at doing the same thing with a rib in need of a retube but without the funds to do it.
Is there any way i can message you privately
Thanks
Rónán
Old 31 August 2021, 08:33   #12

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Welcome to RIBnet Rónán.

Resurrecting a 6yr old thread isn't a record, but I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply from Gsaade as his profile shows his last activity as March 2016

Nasher.
Old 31 August 2021, 13:11   #13

Town: Manchester
Make: Avon S250
Engine: tohatsu 9.8
Unless foam filled I would be concerned about the structural integrity. A tube is not the strongest shape and very susceptible to deformation if loaded.
Old 31 August 2021, 17:31   #14

Town: Waterlooville
Boat name: Tickler
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Inboard Diesel 240HP
MMSI: 235115642
RIBase
Part of the benefit of inflatable tubes is that they deform when hit by waves. This reduces the accelerations and makes for a better ride.

The idea of foam filling them seems quite sensible. There are quite a few RIB's with foam filled tubes. You could cut out the fibreglass and simply fill the existing tubes.
Old 31 August 2021, 18:22   #15

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
What’s the point? Might as well have a hard boat.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 20:06   #16

The initial post was with regard to glassing over a worn out inflatable, my thought was that if you simply glassed over a tube it would be inherently weak if no pressure from a tube. Hence the foam fill. I fully agree the foam fill alone would be enough. Unless of course the tubs looked old and manky and it’s more of a tarting up.

Of course I agree it’s odd to glass over an inflatable boat, it does rather negate the advantage of a packable format.
Old 31 August 2021, 23:43   #17

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
Would like to see a few close up shots on how you joined the tubes to the hull. Have you put drain holes incase you get any water leaking back into the the tubes at some point. I had a friend attempt this on a 5.5m rib (Chinese brand) which looked dreadful how he had joined it to the hull. The first time he used it in rough conditions its started cracking away from the hull, after that it went to the tip!!!

A few comments on the aluminium stabicraft and profile tubed boats which are pretty common over here. The tubes allow the manufactures to build a deeper v than is possible than with normal ali boats which makes them ride better but they are still pretty hard rides due to the tubes being rigid. The Naiad rescue boats we use locally are also similar in the fact the hulls have deep v but in their case the tubes are foam filled, making them far quieter than the hollow tube boats. There was a company from Africa making tubed fibreglass boats in both single v and cat design but didn't do very well with sales here in Aus, in fact I think the company making them no longer exists.
Old 01 September 2021, 07:43   #18

I have to admit to being fascinated by this. I can get my head around why a boat with composite or aluminium tubes would have some user advantages but I can't get my head around why you'd start out with an inflatable boat.

Rather than replacing old tubes is it really the case that people are laying up mat and resin over the tubes like papier-mâché over a balloon? That must make for a terrible surface, terrible bond to the hull?

I guess it could be a really cheap solution for a riverboat tender or similar ultra low stress usage? Or have I completely misunderstood this?
Old 01 September 2021, 08:52   #19

Yep. Seems like a lot of work for a rough end product. Resin and fibre are not cheap. Most likely cheaper to find a second hand replacement boat
Old 04 September 2021, 21:37   #20

Town: southampton
Boat name: TOP CAT 2
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250hp HO
Gotta love a bit of DIY problem solving. Shame Mr fuller doesn’t lurk anymore to disprove the tubes make the ride softer theories. ��