Old 12 February 2016, 18:15   #1

Town: manchester
Boat name: nitrox
Make: F-rib
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
F rib 3.3

New f rib which engine to go for 2 stroke 15hp or 4 stroke 10hp, weight is the crux, manhandling on a yacht, hopefully using it for kneeboarding etc and a speed grin. Both engines will be new
Help needed as I'm only use to big engines don,t fancy dragging a 300 over the decks!!
Neal alias glass back
Old 12 February 2016, 18:56   #2
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Why would you want 10hp when you could have 15hp for the same weight?
Old 12 February 2016, 19:01   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
New f rib which engine to go for 2 stroke 15hp or 4 stroke 10hp, weight is the crux, manhandling on a yacht, hopefully using it for kneeboarding etc and a speed grin. Both engines will be new
Help needed as I'm only use to big engines don,t fancy dragging a 300 over the decks!!
Neal alias glass back
Have you got a way to get a new old-school 2-stroke? ABout 2/3rds the weight of most "modern" engines that size.

If its an E-tec then I think the 15HP is disappointingly heavy (>50kg). I think you can get a Suzuki 4 stroke that is about 8kg lighter? Even then its going to be a beast to manhandle over a rail - I'd be finding a way to use the boom and a halyard as a "derrick".

Of course you have to think more about storing a 4 str too.
Old 12 February 2016, 19:12   #4

Town: manchester
Boat name: nitrox
Make: F-rib
Engine: 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Have you got a way to get a new old-school 2-stroke? ABout 2/3rds the weight of most "modern" engines that size.

If its an E-tec then I think the 15HP is disappointingly heavy (>50kg). I think you can get a Suzuki 4 stroke that is about 8kg lighter? Even then its going to be a beast to manhandle over a rail - I'd be finding a way to use the boom and a halyard as a "derrick".

Of course you have to think more about storing a 4 str too.
I've looked at 15hp tohatso 2 stroke which weighs 35kg the 9.9 4stroke is 36kg I think the 2stroke would be easier to service when away from the dealers, I'm looking at ways to store and launch the engine by rail mount davits? Thanks neal
Old 12 February 2016, 20:14   #5

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I understand the F-Ribs are very efficient re speed vs HP so one or two light folks would be OK with a Tohatsu 9.8 2-stroke at 26kg which is the ultimate weight vs HP. Otherwise an old school Yamaha/Mariner/Mercury 15HP 2-stroke at 35/36kg is probably the maximum you would handle with relative ease.

BTW I thought... as does the Tohatsu website... the 15HP Tohatsu 2-stroke weighed 41kg??
Old 12 February 2016, 20:28   #6
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrox View Post
I've looked at 15hp tohatso 2 stroke which weighs 35kg the 9.9 4stroke is 36kg I think the 2stroke would be easier to service when away from the dealers, I'm looking at ways to store and launch the engine by rail mount davits? Thanks neal
Welcome back "Rhino"!

Not sure how you figure the 4 stroke gets a look in?

My own research suggests that the 9.9hp 2T weighs 41kg? Is there a new model around? Patently a 41kg 2T makes no sense when it's sister motor, the 18hp 2T weighs the same.

IMO, if you have a glass back, forget them all and buy the 26kg 9.8hp for the F-RIB. Pay someone for a bit of watersports - you can afford it...

Tags
rib