Old 24 September 2021, 14:53   #1

Town: Swansea
Length: 4m +
Experiences Oxwich, Gower?

Hi all,

So I've visited Oxwich a few times to launch my Avon SR4.

I'm wondering what everyone's experiences have been with fees as I feel it's just a money making scheme which takes the mickey!

So, first time I visited I paid £10 for entry - no problem.

2nd time I was told that it was £10 but next time it would be £15 if I wasn't an Oxwich boat club member (£30 per year)

3rd time I played stupid and was told by another attendant that it was £15 regardless of boat club membership!
I politely told him that the sign clearly shows a car and boat =£10 to which he replied "well, it's £10 for a boat and £5 for a car" puzzled I said well I can't exactly push the boat in and I think they need to change the sign to reflect it!
I also asked what benefits I get as a club member as there was no reduction on parking. He informed me I didn't get priority entry, no dedicated parking and so I'm quite glad I didn't waste £30 on a membership.

Has anyone had experience with this around other parts?

Cheers J
Old 24 September 2021, 16:45   #2

Town: Pembroke
Boat name: Rapscallion
Make: Humber Destroyer 6.0
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-TEC 150
It's been that way for at least 40years I'm afraid - not exactly "boater friendly". Sadly it's so popular the landowner doesn't really need to try to keep people on side.
You could drop the landowner a line with your query / complaint.
If you happened to look on companies House under OXWICH COAL HOUSE LIMITED (08174324), you'd find the correspondence address [emoji6]
Old 24 September 2021, 22:04   #3

Town: Appley Bridge
Boat name: RedNeck
Make: Excel SD360
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury EFI 20HP
MMSI: 235924407
It was the same when I visited Oxwich earlier this year. Paid between £10 & £15 depending which attendant was on, fortunately it was mostly £10.
However I have to say that £10 is on par with parking all day at Port Eynon or Knab Rock, and at least Oxwich has toilets, facilities and decent launching. Port Eynon has crap launching (rocks everywhere that will rip you to shreads) and I wasn't allowed to launch at Knab Rock as I hadn't registered with Swansea council 10 days prior!
Drive a bit further Jack, Pembrokeshire is so much more welcoming - Free!
Old 25 September 2021, 19:31   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Private estate their land their rules no point arguing pay or go elsewhere (launch elsewhere and arrive by boat and give them 2 fingers is my preferred method……)

Launching in South Wales is a nightmare (I live here) but am a club member so launch there then visit by boat much more pleasant than the diabolical parking faff at most places…….
Old 25 September 2021, 19:57   #5

Town: Swansea
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Private estate their land their rules no point arguing pay or go elsewhere (launch elsewhere and arrive by boat and give them 2 fingers is my preferred method……)

Launching in South Wales is a nightmare (I live here) but am a club member so launch there then visit by boat much more pleasant than the diabolical parking faff at most places…….

Yeah I live on Gower and gave only started out with my Rib.

Shame as Loughor is fair and friendly but the estuary is a bit daunting. Been out a few times but am always thinking of the tide times and not getting caught out.

Oxwich would be my preferred but the 2 mile queue in summer is a pain!!!
Port Eynon looks a nightmare unless you have a tractor
Old 25 September 2021, 21:13   #6

Is there not a club with a communal tractor at port eynon? There is a freshwater or a tractor operator who does launching for a fee?

Boating on the Bristol Channel unless your in a marina (a big one ) is always very tide dependent and even the marinas don’t have all tides access apart from Swansea and Cardiff? On a big spring even they may not open the locks at low water ….
Old 25 September 2021, 21:38   #7

I saw a tractor launching jetskis when I was there in July, but only at the weekend. The boat yard was empty during the week, no boats, no trailers and no tractor.
Old 25 September 2021, 21:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve509926 View Post
I saw a tractor launching jetskis when I was there in July, but only at the weekend. The boat yard was empty during the week, no boats, no trailers and no tractor.
Contact details here https://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/8...gency-contacts get the low down might be worth £60
For Next season vs 4 launches at Oxwich
Old 25 September 2021, 23:12   #9

Quote:
Contact details here https://www.swansea.gov.uk/article/8...gency-contacts get the low down might be worth £60
For Next season vs 4 launches at Oxwich
I'd definitely consider Port Eynon if I lived on the Gower. But the ease of launching and being able to recover at any state of tide at Oxwich makes it more favourable if you've only got a week or so on holiday. Obvious exception to that is school holidays and hot weekends, when as Jack said the queue of cars was manic. Fortunately we had been warned by the attendant so turned up at 9.00 am.
Old 24 July 2022, 10:14   #10

Town: Newport
Make: Elling KB 350
Quote:

Hi
A membership where?
Old 24 July 2022, 11:42   #11

Porthcawl, afan river, mumbles, port eynon, Loughor take your pick.

Seeing your other thread I don’t throng oxwhich offer a tractor service there is sometimes one in the carpark

Only tractor option I know of is Porthcawl powerboat club at Newton they have tractors

Also further restrictions on what can park at Oxwich so I hear banning of vans or certainly vans that people might try and sleep in….
Old 24 July 2022, 12:35   #12

As far as I know there isn't a tractor at Oxwich Bay, but there is a 4 wheeled quad which, for a fee, will launch a recover. However the sand is very firm and I had no problem driving on it.
Last year there was a sign which stated no Camper Vans or Motorhome's overnight, but it wasn't enforced.