Old 30 May 2020, 01:21   #1

Town: mabou
Length: 4m +
excessive bow rise

hi everyone
jeeze im so frustrated with my zodiac futura MK-1 GT that i just bought . basically before planning, the bow will point its nose to the sky like crazy....nothing close to what im used to in our other ribs. i checked and readjusted the trim angle but it still is the same. is there something unique about the futura ? it also seems quite unstable once its finally planing. i hope i didnt get totally ripped off ☹️
Old 30 May 2020, 04:54   #2

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
I had one once and they are a bit fidgety at high speed ours had a 25 Yamaha but once you get used to it they absolutely fly and can be thrown about. good fun .as for the bow rise you just need to get your weight over the bow (use a tiller extension) when you take off and nail it
Old 30 May 2020, 07:25   #3

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
These are great boats, and you can't compare to RIBs. Because it's light, you're likely to see the bow rise. The secret is hole shot to get on the plane quickly, lean forward with the tiller and the nose will come down, then you can ease off on the accelleration and cruise. To be honest it's far better with two up, but if that's not possible, get a bag of sand, yes that's right, a bag of sand and rope it in place at the bow.

I used to run a MKIICGT with a Yamaha 25. Make sure the trim angle is set back hard against the transom. Also is it a standard shaft engine? Older models were, however new Zodiac Futuras use oversized tubes and moved to long shaft engines. Basically the anti ventilation plate above the propeller should be level with the base of the hull at the transom if you're checking.

You responded to an old thread about leaks. These boats are serviceable. If it's leaking from the inflatable hull, then remove the aluminium floor. The fold nearest the transom on the hull tube is a regular place for them to fail. These boats were originally thermobonded at manufacture. You can get Polymarine 2-part glue to repair. Follow the instructions to the letter for a satisfactory repair.

Also check the valves. The rubber one way valve diaphragm, gaskets and cap seal age and lose their suppleness, and again can be replaced. Parts are readily available from a Zodiac main dealer.
Old 30 May 2020, 08:37   #4

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Hi Danny and welcome to forum. Good advice above and it would be interesting to know if you are solo. I mostly have a single crew who is my movable ballast for that brief moment getting over the hump... I just get them moving their weight up forward. Again the advice above is crucial about snapping onto the plane through this period. If you slowly go through “the hump” a wall of water will build more and more under the hull. Re the leaks if you have soaped the valves and are sure it’s not them then it’s floor out time to check for leaks. Post some pics up of what you find and folks will advise on repairs.
Old 30 May 2020, 11:33   #5

Thank you so much for the quick and very helpful responses. I'm feeling better and ready to tackle these suggestions today 😊
Old 30 May 2020, 11:38   #6

loose fitting transom plugs

i noticed that the transom plugs are quite loose fitting...i can easily turn them and they will come out with little effort ...seems like they should be a tigher fit , should they not ?
Old 30 May 2020, 18:44   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Sound advise above all I would add is have a look at my excel 435 build from scratch I go through the lot you will see all my kit is in a box 3/4 of the way up the boat so I have balance of weight as equal as possible. If you go down the sandbag route think about water in a bottle so you can empty as you need without mess for best trim
Old 30 May 2020, 21:04   #8

thanks jeff. where can i find your excel 435 build ?
Old 30 May 2020, 22:39   #9

Town: California
Make: zodiac futura
My first trip out in my MKll with a 40 Merc would really took off fast but it first pointed to the sky then fell back to earth. I moved weight forward and no problem now. Consider getting a longer fuel line and moving it to the bow.
Old 31 May 2020, 20:02   #10

thanks. well i think it was the Leakey floor that also contributed to the bow rise because so much water was beneath the floor boards and served as ballast for all the wrong reasons. ill try that hole shot you mentioned and hopefully that will bring results
Old 31 May 2020, 21:06   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny275 View Post
thanks jeff. where can i find your excel 435 build ?
Just click on my name and go statistics then threads by me Danny