Old 14 October 2017, 14:45   #1

Town: alnwick
Boat name: wreckless
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Evinrude ETEC 60hp Transom Break

hi i was the unfortunate person to experience two transon bracket breaks . the first one was fixed under warranty but evinrude would not fix the second one so i had to claim through my insurance . the third or fourth trip i went out on i stopped to talk to a friend . when i went to start it nothing happened . after two or three attempts it started but i turned it off to see if it would start it didnt . then it did . i tried another couple of times and it wouldnt start . my friend towed me back in . it took two months before i could get it into engineers as they were very busy . its taken 1 month to fix it . i have been told the engine wouldnt start because the engine rubber mounts were as i was told not as hard as they would like and this had effected the in gear switch inside the engine so stopping the engine starting . evinrude has fixed this under warranty so hopefully i can get out on the rib . could anyone advise me could this have caused the transom breaks in the beginning and how can the rubber on a engine mount be too soft . the engine is june 2015
Old 14 October 2017, 15:51   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
That sounds to me like the dealer didn't quite get the adjustment right on the gear shift when they fitted the new transom brackets and rather than admit this they made an excuse
The rubber is either correct or they become detached and need replaced. Unless of course the dealers are saying evinrude got the mount material wrong
Old 14 October 2017, 16:59   #3

thanks beamishken would this cause other damage . i noticed a thin slither of metal on the deck . it was tiny but dont know where it came from
Old 14 October 2017, 18:59   #4

The start in gear protection is just a microswitch in the engine & it sounds like it or the cables was out of adjustment it shouldn't do any harm to anything else.
God knows what the piece of metal was you found hopefully something totally unrelated
Old 14 October 2017, 19:39   #5

well fingers crossed i will be out tomorrow . will be going with my mate just in case it doesnt go to plan
Old 05 November 2017, 11:29   #6

help needed again . i have got engine back after it was fixed . went out first time everything was fine . yesterday i went out with my friend who was on his rib as i have little faith in getting back . we went up the coast about three miles stopped to look at the scenery with engine on tick over . mate set off i pushed controls to forward and it didnt move ,sounded like gears didnt engage and then made a grating noise . put in reverse and it went backwards , tried forwards and still not working . turned engine off raised engine to have a look . dropped it back down and it would not even start like last time . i am going to take it back to evinrude dealer but i dont think the last time i had a problem he was totally honest with the cause . has anyone got any ideas on cause , thank for any replies
Old 05 November 2017, 12:10   #7

Sounds like an adjustment or setup problem
Maybe time to find a different dealer!
Old 05 November 2017, 12:40   #8

thanks beamishken i would go to another dealer but they are few and far between . the engines just over two years old and its close to 5 thousand pounds in repair bills . thats the original buying price . the last repair was a bit strange but they said it was done under warranty so if i take it back to them hopefully it will be free .edinburgh is next nearest dealer 80 mile and dont know if i would get it done under warranty . i am having an extension on my house or i would trade it in and get a yamaha , i wont be buying evinrude anytime soon
Old 05 November 2017, 15:21   #9

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
B n

The etec sixty is not rocket science device. Look up control cable adjustment. I believe that this is a job that can be carried out by an oner. My nearest etec supplier is circa 100 miles away which is a good reason to learn your own engine.

For the last eight years I have carried out most of the work myself. It sounds to me that you have been let down by your service agent.

Regards

Tsm
Old 05 November 2017, 15:41   #10

i am sure i could alter the control cable but in 12 months they have had about 5 grand in repairs to the engine and its stopped working so would adjusting cables fix this . i bought it new 2 yaers ago i would guess at least 8 months it hasnt been usable
Old 05 November 2017, 17:45   #11
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulmer nidge View Post
i am sure i could alter the control cable but in 12 months they have had about 5 grand in repairs to the engine and its stopped working so would adjusting cables fix this . i bought it new 2 yaers ago i would guess at least 8 months it hasnt been usable
It's still under warranty, dealer serviced and repaired and has more faults. Cover your back and don't touch it yourself, but personally I'd be taking it to a different dealer if possible.

However, be aware that if you take it to a different dealer and the first one has cocked it up, they may decide that fixing someone else's cockup isn't part of your warranty, or say that you've messed around with it yourself.
I would certainly make damn sure you've made a clarifying phone call (or better an email) to them first before even taking it to them so you don't go back and find you've got a large bill to pay and no warranty.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote