Old 01 April 2019, 08:21   #1

Town: durham
Boat name: Moo
Make: Cobra
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 Yamaha
European Facilities

Morning All,

I am looking for somewhere to put my 7.6 metre RIB where the sun shines a little more reliably, the criteria being either dry stack or a yard with on demand launching from its trailer. It must be somewhere within striking distance of an airport that is well serviced from the UK. I’m in Javea Spain currently to look at a yard, but I would love to hear suggestions.

Cheers
Old 01 April 2019, 09:13   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
Morning All,

I am looking for somewhere to put my 7.6 metre RIB where the sun shines a little more reliably, the criteria being either dry stack or a yard with on demand launching from its trailer. It must be somewhere within striking distance of an airport that is well serviced from the UK. I’m in Javea Spain currently to look at a yard, but I would love to hear suggestions.

Cheers
That's quite a broad question. Perhaps if you tell people the sort of things you like to do afloat they will help narrow it down - eg. is it all mucking about with ringo's and not going far, or is it about distance and exploring, or being able to hop ashore for lunch, or do you prefer to catch the lunch yourself...

And whats striking distance for you?
And well serviced = flights that make a weekend trip practical all year round, or daily flights from multiple operators, or there is one flight a week in summer only?
Presumably its only useful if the flight is equally convenient at this end - your profile suggests that might be well serviced from Newcastle, Bradford Edinburgh/Glasgow at a push, or Manchester/Liverpool, perhaps East Midlands? I'm guessing Gatwick, Bristol, etc however is not so attractive?
Old 01 April 2019, 11:28   #3

All very fair points, so a little more to help narrow this down. Newcastle and Manchester are favourites, although Edinburgh, Leeds Bradford are also fine. Somewhere serviced by the Ryan Air, EasyJet and Jet 2 type operators as the flights tend to be daily would be the preference.
As for usage, we like to explore, so somewhere with good access to multiple destinations would be great. We did a couple of weeks in Port Grimaud last year which was great as we had the boat at the property and used it extensively. The issue there was that there are few guest berths to allow access to the likes of St Tropet or St Maxine so getting ashore was tricky.

I guess we are hoping to find somewhere where the boat can be accessed easily from whatever accommodation we can find for long weekends as well as longer trips.

In short, it’s about spending more time on the boat which requires more reliable weather.

We really are open to suggestions.

Thanks for the contribution.

Cheers.
Old 01 April 2019, 11:44   #4

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
All very fair points, so a little more to help narrow this down. Newcastle and Manchester are favourites, although Edinburgh, Leeds Bradford are also fine. Somewhere serviced by the Ryan Air, EasyJet and Jet 2 type operators as the flights tend to be daily would be the preference.
As for usage, we like to explore, so somewhere with good access to multiple destinations would be great. We did a couple of weeks in Port Grimaud last year which was great as we had the boat at the property and used it extensively. The issue there was that there are few guest berths to allow access to the likes of St Tropet or St Maxine so getting ashore was tricky.

I guess we are hoping to find somewhere where the boat can be accessed easily from whatever accommodation we can find for long weekends as well as longer trips.

In short, it’s about spending more time on the boat which requires more reliable weather.

We really are open to suggestions.

Thanks for the contribution.

Cheers.

Look at Cassis, you’d probably get flights to Marseille. The Calanques are spectacular. Failing that, Zadar in Croatia. Ryanair flights a marina & plenty to explore.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 April 2019, 13:22   #5

Town: StPetersburg Russia
Boat name: Ocean Devil
Make: Scorpion 8.6m
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yanmar 315hp
MMSI: 211579640
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Bushrider
Cassis is really breath taking .
I keep my boat always in Cavalaire . From there I have easy access to all places at the Cote d Azur .
StTropez / StMaxime / Cannes / Nice / Monaco - all easy to reach .
Takes 1.5 hours to Cassis .
Old 01 April 2019, 14:05   #6

Thanks for this, Cassis sounds interesting, is anyone aware of any ‘out of the water’ storage/launch facilities? I don’t want the boat in the water when not in use.
Old 01 April 2019, 14:24   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Thanks for this, Cassis sounds interesting, is anyone aware of any ‘out of the water’ storage/launch facilities? I don’t want the boat in the water when not in use.

Afaik there’s nothing in Cassis, you could try here around the corner
Port of Goudes
Rue Désiré Pelaprat, 13008 Marseille, France
+33 4 91 73 02 66
https://goo.gl/maps/8cyZyyVQWsE2
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Old 01 April 2019, 16:06   #8

Town: Alvor
Boat name: Veronica Ann
Make: Maestral 560
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
We keep our RIB on The Algarve which is famed for it's above average number of sunshine days. The RIB is kept on the trailer at a marina at Portimao (Clube Naval de Portimao) and the very competitive price includes unlimited lifts in and out whenever I wish.

Rivers and coastline within day trip distance give plenty to explore in the area.

Manchester to Faro, 2 1/2 hours, Faro to Portimao, 45 mins.

I know there is a waiting list for berths/places at my boatyard but The Algarve is peppered with similar places along its coastline, worth consideration in my opinion.

Good luck.
Old 01 April 2019, 16:27   #9

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Garwood View Post
We keep our RIB on The Algarve which is famed for it's above average number of sunshine days. The RIB is kept on the trailer at a marina at Portimao (Clube Naval de Portimao) and the very competitive price includes unlimited lifts in and out whenever I wish.

Rivers and coastline within day trip distance give plenty to explore in the area.

Manchester to Faro, 2 1/2 hours, Faro to Portimao, 45 mins.

I know there is a waiting list for berths/places at my boatyard but The Algarve is peppered with similar places along its coastline, worth consideration in my opinion.

Good luck.

We might call in & say hello Grant, hope to be down there around beginning of June with the RIB
Old 01 April 2019, 17:20   #10

Town: Alvor
Boat name: Veronica Ann
Make: Maestral 560
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
We might call in & say hello Grant, hope to be down there around beginning of June with the RIB
Dave, would have been great to meet up unfortunately we spend only the winter months here in Alvor.

In around 3 weeks we will be heading back to Blighty for the summer returning next October to our winter home here in the Algarve.

If you need any info about this area I would be only to pleased to help if I can.

Regards, Grant.
Old 01 April 2019, 18:55   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Garwood View Post
Dave, would have been great to meet up unfortunately we spend only the winter months here in Alvor.

In around 3 weeks we will be heading back to Blighty for the summer returning next October to our winter home here in the Algarve.

If you need any info about this area I would be only to pleased to help if I can.

Regards, Grant.

That’s a shame, I might pick your brains for some local knowledge though beforehand.