Old 16 March 2003, 22:43   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Esse Aitch One Tee........

So there I was convinced that my battery was duff as I had to put in over a litre of top-up water into the cells and my hydrometer was saying that all cells were flat. (The chap I bought it from assured me that it was sealed for life )

Right, thought I, the thing to do is to get it out and take down to my local car shop for a discharge test.

Has anyone ever tried to take a battery out of a 4.8 Ribcraft with under-deck tank ? If not, here's the procedure:

1. Open pod seat - discover that battery don't come out that way.

2. Open front hatch - view mass of wiring, fuel filler and vent pipes, flush mounted VHF, master isolator switch.

3. Have coffee and think.

4. Disconnect fuel filler cap from consol and fuel hoses from cap and tank (with the aid of an angled ratchet screwdriver and socket for the hose clips). Release numerous cables from their cable ties. Remove connections to VHF. Remove battery master switch and it's housing box.

5. Make larger jug of coffee.

6. Try to remove flush mounted VHF from consul mounting - Ha, well corroded in and won't move (at least no one will be able to nick it ).

7. Battery sits in a box and won't come out of box with VHF in position . Cut down 2/3rd each side of front of box to enable battery to slide out at an angle of 45 degrees and then past all those loose cables.

8. Atfer 3 hours, the battery arrived out on the deck. I now know how a gynacologist works.

9. Off down to the car shop for a test. "Nothing wrong with it, mate" says man in shop. Loud wailing ensues to embarasment of other customers in shop . Consoled by pretty female assistant (YES - must try that again sometime ).

10. Return home with "good" battery under arm. Pour large scotch and ponder - do I replace the existing battery or buy new "sealed for life" Vetus. I should point out that the only way you can top up the existing battery in situ is with a large syringe and a mirror on a stick.

Well chaps - over to you.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2003, 23:03   #2

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Ah, the joys of ribbing. Good job you didn't make any sparks with that fuel filler cap off
JW.
Old 16 March 2003, 23:10   #3

Don't worry - the tank conns were sealed off the moment the hoses came off.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Old 17 March 2003, 16:21   #4

Town: Dunedin
Boat name: Zebedee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 15 2 stroke
Re: Esse Aitch One Tee........

Quote:
Originally posted by Ribald
Has anyone ever tried to take a battery out of a 4.8 Ribcraft with under-deck tank ?
Peter,

On my Ribcraft 4.8, 2002 model, this is easy. I don't have a VHF fitted, though, perhaps this was the main problem? Fuel filler, etc, were not in the way for me. Took about 5 minutes. (Sorry.)

cheers,
Simon
Old 17 March 2003, 17:41   #5

Cheers Simon......

most kind .

They must have modified the design since 2000 as there is no way my battery would come out without removing at least the 2" filler pipe. Perhaps your batt is further forward than mine and the fuel pipe further back. This would make sense.

The VHF was only a problem because it was stuck in it's housing.

Old 17 March 2003, 22:27   #6

Boat name: Spud
Make: BWM
Length: 5.75
Engine: Mariner 125
unlucky sir

ill stick my head in my mates 2000 4.8 Ribcraft when he decides it isn't to cold to come out

main problem with my battery is it is soo heavy and requires some sort of miracle to hoist it out, took me 20 minutes of yanking and trying to squeeze it through the hatch, only thing that kept me going was that fact that it must have gone in this way so has to come out