Old 27 May 2004, 22:26   #21

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
I shall have to come out from behind the screen and meet you guys soon...Now 3 weeks into non delivery of new axel, at this rate I will miss RIBex
Why, were you going to tow your RIB to the IOW?!?!
Mark, need to defend Suzuki Pete as he's away I think!! It will be a pleasure to meet you and many others at RIBex - so you'll be the one carying a computer screen, hiding behind it!!
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2004, 22:52   #22
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by timofengland
However, I don't have a licence, so what do I do?!!?? I could buy a H/H VHF for my trip, but with no licence is it suicide actually using it (like to call the harbour master). I might just get one in case I get in real trouble and need to call for help.
Tim,

I think it would be a really good idea to get a radio. I have two and would never go out without them. If you do get hold of one you will need a radio license for it - http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/S...ationNotes.asp. At least then you can have it switched on and listen to traffic movements and of course use it in an emergency.

If you don't manage to get hold of one I wouldn't worry to much, just make sure you call QHM. It's probably more important for you than anyone else as you won't be able to gauge traffic movements by listening to the radio.
Old 28 May 2004, 00:18   #23

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Sting
Make: Tornado 6.8
Engine: Yam 200 HPDI
Send a message via MSN to Andy
If you do visit Portsmouth harbour a small word of warning. As you approach the harbour from west there is a gravel bank that Spitbank fort sits on that runs parallel to the shipping lane towards gosport and runs very close in. Many boats appraching from the west cut across it to get to the small ships channel. This does become very shallow on a spring low tide and even small draft boat like rib ground. I witnessed one a few weeks back.

To avoid this use the Swashway channel maked on the diagram. Or follow the ferries ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swashway.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	5984  

www.badviz.com
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 07:54   #24

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Why, were you going to tow your RIB to the IOW?!?!
Mark, need to defend Suzuki Pete as he's away I think!! It will be a pleasure to meet you and many others at RIBex - so you'll be the one carying a computer screen, hiding behind it!!
Richard
No, but it is quite handy for getting the boat from home to the slip.

Andy
Nice diagram, good advise. The true transit is with the church spire, until some one built the flats in the way. It is worth looking for the spire before coming onto the transit, so you know they are the right flats.
The ferries do not use the Swashway at low tide.
Old 28 May 2004, 10:45   #25

Town: London/Hamble
Boat name: Hot Mustard
Make: BWM
Engine: Mariner 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL
Tim,

I think it would be a really good idea to get a radio. I have two and would never go out without them. If you do get hold of one you will need a radio license for it - http://www.radiolicenceforms.co.uk/S...ationNotes.asp. At least then you can have it switched on and listen to traffic movements and of course use it in an emergency.

If you don't manage to get hold of one I wouldn't worry to much, just make sure you call QHM. It's probably more important for you than anyone else as you won't be able to gauge traffic movements by listening to the radio.
Hi DJL!
From what I can tell, one cannot obtain a licence until a VHF course is completed. This is what I gathered from the radiol licence forms homepage or have I missed something?

Regards,
Old 28 May 2004, 10:50   #26

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Bajan,

There are 2 licences required. You are correct in saying that the licence to operate is only issued after you have successfully trained and passed the exam (1 day) but the licence to have a radio on the boat is issued separately and, to my knowledge, there are no requirements other than filling in the paperwork and paying the fee. As has been said previously, it is an offence to carry a radio (fixed or h/h) without the licence and it is also an offence to use one without either holding an operator's licence or using it under the supervision of someone who does.

HTH
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 10:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise
Bajan,

There are 2 licences required. You are correct in saying that the licence to operate is only issued after you have successfully trained and passed the exam (1 day) but the licence to have a radio on the boat is issued separately and, to my knowledge, there are no requirements other than filling in the paperwork and paying the fee. As has been said previously, it is an offence to carry a radio (fixed or h/h) without the licence and it is also an offence to use one without either holding an operator's licence or using it under the supervision of someone who does.

HTH
Many thanks for the info Louise!
All clear now.

Regards
Old 28 May 2004, 10:57   #28

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajan
Hi DJL!
From what I can tell, one cannot obtain a license until a VHF course is completed. This is what I gathered from the radiol license forms homepage or have I missed something?

Regards,
Bajan I have just followed that link & filled in the form with no mention of having a VHF license!
If any one knows where I can do the course around the Thames Vally/ west London let me know!
Regards
Nick
Old 28 May 2004, 10:59   #29

Quote:
Bajan,

HTH
Louise
You are just too quick for me!
Nick
Old 28 May 2004, 11:00   #30

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne
If any one knows where I can do the course around the Thames Vally/ west London let me know!
I did mine at Bisham Abbey Sailing School, near Marlow. www.bishamabbeysailing.co.uk
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 11:07   #31

Quote:
I did mine at Bisham Abbey Sailing School, near Marlow. www.bishamabbeysailing.co.uk
Yep tried them yesterday booked up at the mo!
Thanks
Nick
Old 28 May 2004, 12:32   #32

Quote:
Bajan I have just followed that link & filled in the form with no mention of having a VHF license!
Regards
Nick
Nick!
If you give want to, give me a call on 07968 625 291, I think I've found the last 2 places in Chiswick for 12 June at a bargain price of £45.00
Old 28 May 2004, 12:40   #33

Quote:
Nick!
If you give want to, give me a call on 07968 625 291, I think I've found the last 2 places in Chiswick for 12 June at a bargain price of £45.00
Hi thanks but I have to work on Saturdays!
Regards
Nick
Old 28 May 2004, 12:48   #34

Quote:
Hi thanks but I have to work on Saturdays!
Regards
Nick
No problem!
I know the feeling, luckily I managed to wangle a day off. I've found another who can do it during the week, but more pricey (£85.00 + exam fee). London Auxiliary Old Hands Club-Godfrey Browne. He said he could do it next Friday if I wanted, but I'm working. If you are interested, his number is 020 7607 3916/07973 715 147.

Good luck, the RYA website is as slow as molasses going uphill in February.
Old 28 May 2004, 15:41   #35

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
OK. I bought a H/H VHF today. I've registered it with the address given above, and paid the £15 fee. Does this now mean I am legal (in that I can carry and radio and listen to it, but not actually transmit with it?).

Do I simply need to do the RYA course now to be able to fully use it?
Old 28 May 2004, 16:36   #36

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
You can now carry it, and in an emergency you can use it to indicate your distress, but until you have your operators certificate you cannot listen to it or carry out routine communications.

You could take someone with you who has a SRC certificate and they can supervise you.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 18:27   #37
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Given that you can legally buy a scanner, and legally listen to marine band VHF frequencies, why couldn't he listen in? I thought that a licence was only required to transmit. Am I wrong?

John
Old 28 May 2004, 18:50   #38

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Unforunatly, it is just like a TV licence, they expect you to pay for something that is just floating around in the air.

A lot of the laws are very protracted to do with radio communications, such ans not being allowed to use manes (of people) or repeat anything you overhear between other parties.

Scanners are a grey area as thay allow access to alot of channels that are restricted, like the coastguard CH 0, but it is very hard for the Radio Investigation chaps to home in on somebody who never transmits.

Nobody said that the law had to make sense (bit like my typing), it just is!!

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2004, 22:40   #39
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Tim,

You can now legally use the radio in emergency situations.

You can also listen and transmit on channel M and M2 (doesn't help much)

Now, you can't 'use' the radio unless you have an operator’s certificate. However as usual the nice people at Offcom took up three pages explaining the terms 'you' and 'me' but didn't bother about 'use'. So who knows whether you can listen or not - probably not.

However in the interest of safety – I would listen away. If anybody asks, which they won't, just wave your radio license and them.
Old 29 May 2004, 09:33   #40

Quote:
No problem!
I know the feeling, luckily I managed to wangle a day off. I've found another who can do it during the week, but more pricey (£85.00 + exam fee). London Auxiliary Old Hands Club-Godfrey Browne. He said he could do it next Friday if I wanted, but I'm working. If you are interested, his number is 020 7607 3916/07973 715 147.

Good luck, the RYA website is as slow as molasses going uphill in February.
Thanks for that & yes the RYA has to be the slowest site on the net!!!!!
Nick