Old 25 November 2013, 12:12   #1

Town: Bangor, North Wales
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude 70hp OB
Engine for project rib

I am just beginning to think about an engine for the project rib. There is no rush at all as I don't expect to get the project rib on the water until next autumn as the current baby rib is doing fine and the project is a big job. (The baby rib is a Narwhal, so great until the tubes self-destruct...) So what I am looking for are tips on buying a cheap/older engine that is not dodgy or hot (in the illegal sense!) I am probably looking for some thing in the region of 40-60HP, but would welcome advice on the ideal size. (The rib was rated for 90HP, but de-rating it a bit after I have stuck the back on again seems wise and anyway, I want an engine that is big enough rather than a massive fuel bill!) The project rib is a Wildcat 5.3m if that means anything, it seems a pretty light weight, light duty, shallow V hull, so probably easily driven. I am sure its sea keeping will be sufficient for my needs, it will mainly be used as a rescue boat.

All the best

David
Old 25 November 2013, 12:21   #2

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
My advice would be to make sure its not underpowered, if it is you'll end up using more fuel trying to keep it going at full throttle than having a bigger engine that runs at 3\4 throttle.
Old 25 November 2013, 12:36   #3

GordyP, what power do you think would be adequate for a 5.3m shallow V?

When it is being a rescue boat it will probably spend a lot of time below plaining speed and just idling, which is where a big engine will probably hurt? I should think that it won't be used enough to really matter regardless.

I do like the efficiency of the baby Narwhal rib (25HP, 3.8m?) - very cheap fun indeed compared to what I am hearing for the larger ribs here! Two boarding sessions and still fuel in the 15lt tank!

All the best

David
Old 25 November 2013, 16:00   #4

Town: Wirral & Caernarfon
Boat name: That's Enuff
Make: Revenger & Avon SR4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Honda 150HP & 50HP
well, speaking from my recent & ongoing experience with a Honda main agent / dealer, my advice would be to do what I didn't do which I guess I will regret for some time to come I would go to one of the companies that advertise on here, such as Clyde Outboards ( oh how I wish I had done the deal with them ) or Boats & Outboards, they will give you good advice, suggest a suitable engine and give you some sort of warranty on a reasonable 2nd hand engine and you may not enjoy the experience of handing your hard earned dish over, but on the other hand you won't regret it either

or there are plenty of decent 2nd hand engines offered for sale on here buy fellow RIBnetters who will at the very least be straight with you about the engine, just a bit of patience required waiting for the right one to show up, and as you don't need it till next Autumn my guess is the right now will show up next week

good luck and let us know how you get on

( and before anyone asks, no I'm not going to say who has let me down, well not yet anyway, I'm still waiting for some bits to arrive, it's only been five months, and I need them to sort the warranty out with Honda one of those lessons life throws your way every so often, my excuse is I was still full of chemo at the time n I didn't see this crap coming till it was too late

I will regret not taking the advice of Cameron at Clyde Outboards for a long long time, assuming of course I'm here for a long long time )
Old 25 November 2013, 16:04   #5

see, sometimes even I get it right, what about the Yam 75 advertised on here right now for £2.2k, looks like a winner to me
Old 25 November 2013, 16:19   #6

I just saw that, but I am afraid that it is way over budget at the moment. It is a shame as it is pretty much ideal other than that. I am looking for the cheapest viable options at the moment - and hoping there are some!

So are there any workhorse engines from the deeper past that are bombproof and just plod on, but now look uncool or something and so are cheap?

I'll take your advice though Chris, and post a wanted add now and then.

All the best

David
Old 25 November 2013, 16:57   #7

if that is way over your budget then you had best be a genius with a socket set and be prepared to do some serious DIY repairs / maintenance
Old 25 November 2013, 17:30   #8

Town: Leeds
Make: Valiant 450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 55HP
I have a 40 Mariner (yamaha) twin, I was going to begin prep next week.

I will have one or two 55 yams in the near future.

If your not in a hurry or you are interested in the. 40, let me know.

The 40 is a long shaft manual start.
Old 25 November 2013, 18:11   #9

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
if its a fixerupper your after I have two on ebay just now that might be up your street bulletproof simple old technology

70 hp ebay ref no251385894667

40 hp ebay no251385383290

let me know if you want any more info
ken

just had another thought
I have a pal has a good running yam 75 with controls etc think he's looking for around £1k maybe not as tidy as the one on here for £2.2k but half the price could probably arrange to see that one running I'll put you in touch if your interested
ken
Old 25 November 2013, 18:36   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Thunder
Make: Halmatic Arctic 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x 150 Etec
I would suggest a 60 or something around that, I think a 40 would leave it underpowered.
Old 26 November 2013, 10:02   #11

Thank you everyone for your replies. You have given me a lot to think about.

Thinking about the Plas Menai little ribs, which are 4.6m? with 40HP four strokes, I think you may be right that 40HP is going to be a bit marginal. I am sure the 55s would do, so perhaps I am looking for 55-75HP ish.

The price points are interesting:

£2.2k complete and working, no parts required - also includes console (which I need) On the other hand I could get a complete rib, engine & trailer package from ebay for this - but the engine might be rubbish in comparison. I don't have the experience to be able to value outboards with any accuracy.
£1k (Beamishken's mate) rough but working and complete (tempting, but haven't even got that right now)
£? Beamishken's 70HP ebay special. No remotes or prop and needs a service kit minimum so add at least £200? £300? All parts seem frighteningly expensive. If it sells for several hundred and things go badly, then I could see this heading to £1k if I value my time at nothing. Am I being overly negative? I wouldn't normally consider a non-runner from ebay as "I haven't tried it" is code for dead as a door-nail and will never run again, but in this case with the provenance...

I am good with fixing bits and I do have a lot of tools, but my experience is all with cars and land rovers, except for servicing our baby 4HP yam, which was easy.

I am not in a hurry and my budget will increase when SWMBO has forgotten how much I have paid for the boat and trailer... My confidence will increase when I have stuck the back of the boat back on. I was more looking for advice on what sort of thing to look for so that I can bargain hunt while I wait.

Is there anything to choose between the makes, or is it just condition, condition, condition at the bottom end of the market? How do the spares prices compare between the main brands?

Only slightly less confused.

David
Old 29 November 2013, 18:09   #12

Well, I have arranged to buy a very cheap 70HP engine from a ribnet member. It remains to be seen how much I will regret this! Thank you everyone else who found options.

David
Old 29 November 2013, 19:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
Well, I have arranged to buy a very cheap 70HP engine from a ribnet member. It remains to be seen how much I will regret this! Thank you everyone else who found options.

David
sounds like a good plan to me, what have you got then
Old 29 November 2013, 19:57   #14

I've got an early 80s Evinrude 70HP 3 cylinder, but its got a bit of bling as it has a stainless prop! So long as it totters along it will do me, I am not going to use it that much or that hard. Here is to hoping.

Anyone know where I can get the workshop manual?

All the best

David
Old 29 November 2013, 20:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpround View Post
I've got an early 80s Evinrude 70HP 3 cylinder, but its got a bit of bling as it has a stainless prop! So long as it totters along it will do me, I am not going to use it that much or that hard. Here is to hoping.

Anyone know where I can get the workshop manual?

All the best

David
nice, like a bit of bling

Tags
rib