Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 03 April 2021, 07:23   #1

Town: Southampton
Length: 4m +
Engine cut out whilst out yesterday

Folks
First day out in 2021 didn't start well! We have a Ribcraft 4.8 running a 2005 Honda bf50. Had difficulties starting then after half hour released the kill cord was not attached (numpty). Started perfectly. Went down the hamble, out in solent and back and then the engine cut out. No electric at the starter switch, no ignition and no crank but tilt works and rear nav lights. Apart from my wife losing her s**t as we drifted back towards the solent, we got towed back by the sailing club rib and moored up and all was well......
I've got to go and retrieve the rib this morning so any ideas of the cause? Ignition fuse comes to mind but where's the fuse box?
I'll gather some tools and head down later. Needless to say my wife will leave me to it and promises to never leave terra ferma again.
Any advice with the issue (Engine or wife) greatfully received☺
Old 03 April 2021, 07:51   #2

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura 155 View Post
Folks
First day out in 2021 didn't start well! We have a Ribcraft 4.8 running a 2005 Honda bf50. Had difficulties starting then after half hour released the kill cord was not attached (numpty). Started perfectly. Went down the hamble, out in solent and back and then the engine cut out. No electric at the starter switch, no ignition and no crank but tilt works and rear nav lights. Apart from my wife losing her s**t as we drifted back towards the solent, we got towed back by the sailing club rib and moored up and all was well......
I've got to go and retrieve the rib this morning so any ideas of the cause? Ignition fuse comes to mind but where's the fuse box?
I'll gather some tools and head down later. Needless to say my wife will leave me to it and promises to never leave terra ferma again.
Replace wife
Old 03 April 2021, 08:31   #3

Town: Winchester
Boat name: The Rubber Duck
Make: Avon 3.10
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8
I'd have thought a fuse would have gone when you were cranking it, not when you're going along nicely.

My guess would be a wire has come lose or broken.

Going to be a case of tracking things back I think. Process of elimination.

Where did you leave it over night? Hope it's still there.
Old 03 April 2021, 08:46   #4

Kill cord and start in gear protection are where I'd be starting to look at 1st.
Old 03 April 2021, 10:26   #5

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
Glad you did get back safely - that's the main thing.

I'd check you didn't flatten the battery trying to start her without the killcord in place. Might be enough juice left for lights but not to start.

The fuse box is probably inside the console.
Old 03 April 2021, 11:14   #6

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Needless to say my wife will leave me to it and promises to never leave terra ferma again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
Replace wife
Buy her an aux engine.
Old 03 April 2021, 11:47   #7

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Start in gear protection as others have mentioned or an inline fuse.

Starter motors do not like to be turned continually (use short bursts 3-4 seconds) so if you've tried to start the engine continually with the kill-cord not in place, then you could have blown something.

Not familiar with Honda outboards, however on Tohatsu, the start in gear protection is a little micro-switch buried in the remote throttle. Easy enough to replace if you are not phased with thse types of repairs.

First off with electrical issues, then a multi-meter is a fantastic bit of kit. You can measure voltage at battery, then at starter motor. The fact it won't crank then look at the in-line 15A fuse on the outboard. If that checks out, then look at the start in gear protection.
Old 03 April 2021, 12:03   #8

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
my mercury 100 did this once it was the spring washer on the engine earth had broken and fell out leaving the cable loose and giving a bad connection 2 turns of the bolt had it working again . but as said more than likely the not start in gear micro switch or the lanyard cut out at fault
Old 03 April 2021, 12:26   #9
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Needless to say my wife will leave me to it and promises to never leave terra ferma again.
To be fair - I think you've achieved boating Nirvana with a minimum of fuss. Most men have to do a few stormy days at sea with a green wife to do what you've done with a minor electrical issue.

I'm most envious.

Old 04 April 2021, 06:09   #10

Town: Southampton
Folks, thanks so much for all your replies which helped hugely. First up, I tried replacing the wife before but the problem just reoccured��. Second, you got me thinking about the kill cord and in gear protection. With the ensuing chaos following the engine cut out (wife screaming, the dog panting), I wondered weather the throttle had been prevented from going fully into neutral, hence no crank. On returning to the jetty yesterday and opening the throttle lever casing, the trigger mechanism was stuck and lever n gear! Cleaned it up, wd40, case back on, into neutral and she fired up immediately �� A very pleasant trip back up the Hamble reminded me why i got the rib in the first place!
Also, the Harbour master was very helpful as no overnight charge and offered to tow me back to the yard if no joy with engine.
Wife even hinted that she would be ok going up river��(that's not a euphemism btw). Will have her over to the IOW in no time.
Thanks again for all your replying.
Enjoy the new season.
Old 04 April 2021, 06:21   #11

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
It could be starter motor , battery or battery cables and terminals or something in the low tension start circuit, start in gear switch kill switch ignition switch fuse or vireing fault. Id start by taking a length of wire with you, find the starter solenoid and take a live feed from the battery and touch on the low tension signal terminal on the solenoid, if it turns you know the issue is in the low tension circuit, if not its starter battery or leads. You effectively half your potential culprits with one simple test
Old 04 April 2021, 08:04   #12

Town: Chelmsford
I have been caught out a couple of times when beaching my Rib.... Moving in slowly and switching off just before she beaches.... Of course I then leave her in gear. Then come to start later and nothing....... Spot the gear lever is slightly forward... Put it back and than turns over easily.... Give s you a nasty feeling when you turn the key and nothing
Old 04 April 2021, 11:58   #13

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Glad you got it fixed Futura. On the plus side, you've saved to memory a possible scenario if it ever happens again.

Back to your throttle. Contrary to popular myth, WD40 is not the solution to most things that are tight or corroded! It's a moisture inhibitor, has lubrication and cleaning qualities, although in my experience are short-lived in a marine environment.

If it's done it once, it can do it again. Open up the throttle housing and give it a proper clean, then lube lightly with marine grease over any springs, throttle, gear and choke linkage points. I think sometimes throttles on boats, being out in all weather (my boat is garaged by the way) simply dry out with the potential to seize and are overlooked as part of a routine maintenance schedule.

If this has freaked you out, and I've broken down myself by the way, which I eventually traced to a dislodged 'o' ring on the fuel connector to the engine, then it's possible to fit an auxilliary engine to a Ribcraft 4.8m. Depends if your boat has a factory fit A-frame or not. Everything is possible.
Old 04 April 2021, 12:20   #14

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Folks, thanks so much for all your replies which helped hugely. First up, I tried replacing the wife before but the problem just reoccured��. Second, you got me thinking about the kill cord and in gear protection. With the ensuing chaos following the engine cut out (wife screaming, the dog panting), I wondered weather the throttle had been prevented from going fully into neutral, hence no crank. On returning to the jetty yesterday and opening the throttle lever casing, the trigger mechanism was stuck and lever n gear! Cleaned it up, wd40, case back on, into neutral and she fired up immediately �� A very pleasant trip back up the Hamble reminded me why i got the rib in the first place!
Also, the Harbour master was very helpful as no overnight charge and offered to tow me back to the yard if no joy with engine.
Wife even hinted that she would be ok going up river��(that's not a euphemism btw). Will have her over to the IOW in no time.
Thanks again for all your replying.
Enjoy the new season.

If you’d had your eye on any safety related toys, PLB/VHF/AIS etc, now would be a good time to drop them into the conversation. Catch her (the missus) while she’s still spooked, she’ll be more amenable[emoji6]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2021, 12:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Catch her (the missus) while she’s still spooked, she’ll be more amenable[emoji6]
Like your style PD
Old 04 April 2021, 12:42   #16

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtecer View Post
Like your style PD

After 32years of marriage, I’m just starting to understand how things work[emoji849]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 April 2021, 20:32   #17

Town: Leicester
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Best not to let on, she'll change the rules.