Old 17 June 2020, 14:12   #1

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Electrical issue?

Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice around an electrical issue.

Last year I noticed that there was an intermittent fault with my Fusion (music) radio. On occasions the sound would just stop and then come back to life when it felt like it, did not use it too much so was never really a big concern.

This year the plotter screen has started to flicker, however if I operate the tilt/trim is stops flickering instantly, then starts again as soon as the tilt/trim is released. The tilt/trim switch sometimes starts the radio as well so there must be some connection.

Any ideas, please note I am not an electrician so any advice will need to be simple?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 17 June 2020, 14:29   #2

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Hi Guys

I am looking for some advice around an electrical issue.

Last year I noticed that there was an intermittent fault with my Fusion (music) radio. On occasions the sound would just stop and then come back to life when it felt like it, did not use it too much so was never really a big concern.

This year the plotter screen has started to flicker, however if I operate the tilt/trim is stops flickering instantly, then starts again as soon as the tilt/trim is released. The tilt/trim switch sometimes starts the radio as well so there must be some connection.

Any ideas, please note I am not an electrician so any advice will need to be simple?

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Bad ( corroded ) earth would be my bet
Old 17 June 2020, 14:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Bad ( corroded ) earth would be my bet
Thanks, as the plotter only has a + and - wire I assume that the earth is a boat earth, any idea where I would start to look?
Old 17 June 2020, 15:47   #4

Town: Barnstaple
Length: 7m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightdiver View Post
Thanks, as the plotter only has a + and - wire I assume that the earth is a boat earth, any idea where I would start to look?
'Earth' is effectively the negative (-ve) battery terminal on a boat. Fender's assumption is that there is a bad connection on the -ve wire, and when you operate the tilt/trim, the plotter is getting a better -ve connection by somehow going through the trilt/trim switch.

I'd find the +ve and -ve wires that go to the plotter.

Follow them back wherever they go

Check all the connections along the way back to the battery for any signs of corrosion. Pull any connectors apart and check inside them.

If the electrics are a mess with intermittent issues I'd be tempted to just run a new red and black wire from the battery, through a 5a fuse and connect the plotter to that instead bypassing all the existing wiring. I expect that is what a marine engineer would do.
Old 17 June 2020, 19:44   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakew009 View Post
'Earth' is effectively the negative (-ve) battery terminal on a boat. Fender's assumption is that there is a bad connection on the -ve wire, and when you operate the tilt/trim, the plotter is getting a better -ve connection by somehow going through the trilt/trim switch.

I'd find the +ve and -ve wires that go to the plotter.

Follow them back wherever they go

Check all the connections along the way back to the battery for any signs of corrosion. Pull any connectors apart and check inside them.

If the electrics are a mess with intermittent issues I'd be tempted to just run a new red and black wire from the battery, through a 5a fuse and connect the plotter to that instead bypassing all the existing wiring. I expect that is what a marine engineer would do.
Jakew009 even I can understand that, many thanks for the advice.
Old 17 June 2020, 21:31   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Bit like trailer boards a bad earth (-ve) current finds another route ie through another +ve to Earth so other lights flash
Old 18 June 2020, 08:34   #7

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
If your battery terminals are of the type where the cables are held in the clamp by two screws pressing on the wire the wires can develop a surface layer of corrosion which will seriously affect their ability.
Remove cable from clamp, wire brush cable ends & refit.
Had this on my own boat.
And as already said, if the operation of one thing affects another it's usually an earth fault (assuming fully charged battery). Use to be quite common on cars where the operation of the brake pedal would also illuminate another bulb in the same light cluster.
Old 18 June 2020, 10:12   #8

Thanks guys.