Old 30 July 2017, 12:44   #41
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The downside is I need to go to the car, rather than the car come to me. In the city centre its unusual I would need to walk more than a mile to get a car even without prebooking. The other downside is none of those cars come with tow bars!
On the bright side - the self drive cars will eventually be able to come to you. I suspect that over time the distinction between your car and a taxi will blur. Where better for a car to be than earning a living? Trailer - WTF? You'll book an AGT (Automated Goods Transporter) to collect your personal module and it will just follow you (if you're not already inside).
Old 30 July 2017, 12:46   #42
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
On the bright side - the self drive cars will eventually be able to come to you. I suspect that over time the distinction between your car and a taxi will blur. Where better for a car to be than earning a living? Trailer - WTF? You'll book an AGT (Automated Goods Transporter) to collect your personal module and it will just follow you (if you're not already inside).

You are assuming teleporting doesn't disrupt the market first!
Old 30 July 2017, 13:08   #43
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
You are assuming teleporting doesn't disrupt the market first!
Now you're being silly!

IMO - the Self Driving Genie is already out of the bottle. The successful arrival (underway, but not ensured) of the Tesla 3 will set the stage. "Self Drive" is just Driverless Car with a Red Flag being held by the "driver". After a decade of "self driving" cars, we'll let them get on with it as we're lazy f###ers. They'll be great by 2040. They'll be warm when you get into them on a cold winter's morning. They'll collect you after work, shopping already in the boot, wains in the back. You'll be able to have a wee snort too. Yes there will be some accidents, but they'll be Tesla's fault. We accept the risks of flying - where we have no control of the vehicle and allow a pilot to oversee the decisions of the "autopilot". I use inverted commas on "autopilot" because I don't think the word does the concept justice.
Old 31 July 2017, 08:39   #44

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Maxi, not many people buying cars who won't satisfy the tests! I already use cars in Edinburgh on exactly the basis You describe (we own one car but when we both need a car I get one from the city car club* on an ad hoc basis, I can't recall what checks there were to joint but 1. It was quick, 2. They let me in, 3. There was certainly very little paperwork and we moved house just before i joined so the standards can't be that tough!

* now owned by Enterprise and has a presence in many major cities in the UK.

The downside is I need to go to the car, rather than the car come to me. In the city centre its unusual I would need to walk more than a mile to get a car even without prebooking. The other downside is none of those cars come with tow bars!

Not quite the same...but Ive used Hire cars from Glasgow Airport quite a lot ...and it's a great service,and cheap!
...Now Tow Bars!?...That's Rocking to a Totally new Algo-RHYTHM!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 16:22   #45

Town: Southampton
Make: avon adventure 4.5
Engine: 50hp e-tec
dunno if you guys saw this project http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/electri...ect-75121.html

hes making a 6m electric cobra! more of an electric eel i'd say.

Tags
rib